Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
What make and model trailer do you have ???

Speculating here. With a GVWR of 7465 lbs., you probably have 2 3500 lb. axles, with a dry tongue weight of 465 lbs. You will have to do a lot of up front loading to get that up to 1000 lbs.

It is good figure a worse case scenario, but seldom do you carry liquids in all of your tanks at the same time.

1500 lbs. of gear is a lot......I travel with about 800 lbs.

Any of the hitches listed would work great, but with a 465 lbs dry tongue weight (not sure about that, but guessing from your figures), 800 lb. bars may be adequate.
Surveyor SP 260...I would prefer to have as few "White knuckle" moments as possible. now I just need to figure out how to measure tongure weight on the rig
Dry Hitch Weight465 lb. (211 kg )Dry Ship Weight4,015 lb. (1,821 kg )GVWR7,465 lb. (3,386 kg )Cargo Carrying Capacity3,114 lb. (1,412 kg )Exterior Length28 ft. 0 in. (8.5 m)Exterior Height8 ft. 9 in. (2.7 m)Exterior Width96 in. (2.4 m)Fresh Water Capacity36 gal. (136 L)Gray Water Capacity30 gal. (114 L)Black Water Capacity30 gal. (114 L)Awning Size16 ft. (4.9 m)

Hidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Elmer Swan View Post
My thinking is when you buy the 2nd hitch we all know at some point we're going to get a bigger trailer why not get the bigger hitch to began with?
to big of a hitch is overkill and cuases other problems while towing. I use the Eqaulizer 10K/1K lb setup and would reccomend the eqaulizer.

Dan, Kelly and Maddy.
Cupid and Kandi the Camp Dogs
Tomball, Texas
2006 Salem LE2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew w/ factory tow package
Danielflading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Hidaho View Post
now I just need to figure out how to measure tongure weight on the rig
Here is an interesting article: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer or Fifth Wheel

And to weight the tongue at home with bathroom scales: Tips on How To Tow a Trailer |

I used the bathroom scale method before I bought my Sherline scale. I also have gone across the local quarry scales a number of times, and came up with the same figures.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote