Old 06-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Hitch Tightner

Anyone using one of these to secure you hitch from up and down movement. I tow a Surveyor around 7000 lbs. Trying to get the movement to stop.

ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
Anyone using one of these to secure you hitch from up and down movement. I tow a Surveyor around 7000 lbs. Trying to get the movement to stop.

We tow a 5th wheel, but we do use one of those brackets on our Rock Tamer mud flaps. They used to wobble around in the receiver, but now they are rock solid.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

I use one on my receiver extender. Where my actual receiver ends on my Liberty is under the bumper. I need it out past the spare tire. So I have an extender. The tightener at that joint does wonders!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #4

I use one to stop movement and wobbling out of the locking pin hole. I have to retighten it at the end of some days.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Lacey's Spring, AL

I've used probably every type of 'hitch stop' available, and yet none 'really' do what you expect, are hard to install, or don't really fit as you might think.

I've found that using either wood or plastic SHIMS in any voids of the receiver, using a hammer if needed, give me the best and cheapest outcome.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

We have the Blue Ox immobilizer for our 7K lb TT. It clamps down horizontally and vertically between receiver and shank. Doesn't do a whole lot and doesn't stay tight either. Vertical movement shouldn't be an issue as the tongue weight keeps the coupler firmly down onto the ball and pushes the shank down tight onto the receiver. In some cases, there can be excessive side to side play and that's what you're better off addressing.

Some claim side to side movement isn't a big deal but I'm not so sure. We have a Reese dual cam WDH and it had excessive play at first but I installed Reese's shims they sell to eliminate the play between shank and hitch head.

I was going to weld a nut on the side of the receiver tube and have a bolt that tightened against the shank. But just got a new truck with 2-1/2" receiver.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #7

Hitch Tightner

I have one. I think it’s intended to be used with a hitch mounted bike carrier or cargo carrier. A travel trailer seems like a tall order for it—with that said, it seems to be made pretty well.
OttieJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

Works when towing my bass boat. Don't do jack with the travel trailer.

$0.02 added.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #9

I just started using one this year instead of using metal washers as shims and I've been happy with it. As someone else mentioned, I have had to re-tighten it before heading home because one of the nuts was loose but the last time I used it I cranked it down pretty tight and it held fine.
Draggo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #10

I have one, and it works. However, I had to get creative mounting it because of the design of my hitch (Fastway E2). I couldn't mount it to the top or bottom as they show in the manufacturer's pictures. I ended up mounting it on the side.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

Thanks for everyone's comments. I was told about this from friend who use it on his class c to pull his vehicle behind him. I would think weight of TT vs towing vehicle with 4 tire would be a big difference in weight at the tow point.

Thank again. Think I might just save the money.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #12

Mine works fine and it definitely reduces the slop and clunking noise but I use it mainly to take the shock off of the hitch pin. I've seen scored and even broken pins before. With a WDH you need to set up the clamp to load the hitch upward. You get what you pay for with these. The one in the OP's photo is a glorified electrical strut clamp. Look for the heavy duty hitch clamps on Amazon. This is what I use for my 2-1/2" shank and 1,000 pound tw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190626_193406.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	208338  

woo10-210 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch