Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Hitch upgrade for New F350

I have a new F350 which has the hitch kit in the bed. I still have my old slider hitch and need to do something to upgrade. I would like to buy a new hitch but will have to save up. I found a Reese base that mounts the old rail style hitch to the base to the new pin style hitch rails. I also found out that Curt makes some side upright brackets that works with the hitch body but do not think the Curt pieces will work with the Reese hitch body. Any suggestions from anyone?
cotton65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Which hitch do you have? Once we know, there's possibly some way to convert the existing hitch to the new rail system.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

It is a 15000 Reese with a slide bar. It is a older hitch
cotton65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #4

If you can, bite the bullet and get a new hitch. I found it wasn't economical to use my existing 16k Reese and I bought a Curt hitch specially made for my OEM factory hitch prep package. I paid a small fortune for it and of course, saw a used one on cragislist for 1/2 of what I paid for mine, a week after I bought mine new from etrailer.

Good luck and enjoy that F350. I love mine.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Get the B&W and don't look back.. we also have a new Ford 350 DRW..and B&W is what we installed..easy to install, looks great and works even better!
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Get the B&W and don't look back.. we also have a new Ford 350 DRW..and B&W is what we installed..easy to install, looks great and works even better!
X2 on the B&W. It works with the hitch mount, I believe.

Companion OEM - 5th Wheel Hitch - Fits Ford Puck System | Puck Mounted Attachment | THE B&W ADVANTAGE
Old 05-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

You can either buy a new hitch that plugs directly in the "pucks" or you can buy an adapter that allows you to use you existing hitch.

Is your bed long or short? If you need a slider, your options are limited (Reese only I believe) if you want a hitch that plugs directly into the pucks. With an adapter, you have many options. If you do not need a slider, you have more options for direct puck connection, and of course lots of options for adapter use.

I would analyze trailer height and truck height before deciding on adapter use. I know guts with high trucks (factory) that prevent a level ride when using the adapter. They can't lower the hitch enough and causes the trailer to ride nose-high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

I have a comfort ride hitch with mount for in bed pucks. It works great! Comfort Ride Hitch and if you have questions call Rick directly and he is happy to talk to you.
BCMCpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

If you want a slider the Demco hijacker is an autoslide that fits in the pucks.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Be aware that there are "issues" with the Demco Autoslider...(i.e. Fussy locking jaw mechanism )

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton65 View Post
It is a 15000 Reese with a slide bar. It is a older hitch
Are you having problems with it? Just reinstalled it on my new 350. Bought a new bolt kit as suggested by Reese and CW. I'm only pulling 12,000# and do not have reason to change. Just bought it new 7 months ago.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #12

Save a couple hundred bucks and get a Curt Hitch over a BW one. They fit perfectly with the factory rail system and separate into two pieces so they are quick and easy to remove weight wise.

Get the largest Curt you can afford. I got a Q24 although that exceeds my tow rating. The additional weight makes the truck ride better unloaded on concrete roads and not maxing out the hitch capacity gives me peace of mind. I like the fact it is heavy and it also separates in two components so removal and install takes a little over 5 minutes.

The Curt Q24 has a 13-17 inch height adjustment range versus 16-3/4 - 18-3/4 inches for the BW hitch. It is $794 versus $959 for the BW hitch.

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the F350 family. It is one hell of a truck but very hard to get good fuel economy because pushing the go pedal down firmly is SO MUCH fun-its not a gas pedal on a diesel powered vehicle.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, hitch