Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
The equalizer is an awesome hitch. I've had my share of other types of WDH, but this one just plain works. The first day I pulled my 23SS with it was a very windy/gusty day with a direct cross-wind (90 degrees from my direction of travel). The rig was rock-steady even with my Silverado 1500. When the semi's came by in the left lane, I expected the usual pull, but it was barely noticable. I've been converted!

dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
I too, cheaped out on my WD hitch when I got my TT a few months ago. After getting tossed around a bit too much and scaring the wife on a bridge on a windy day, she approved the upgrade to the Dual Cams.

I got them Thursday, installed and tested in about 3 hours.

WOW. This is no gimmic here, they really do their job.

I should have never thought saving a couple hundred dollars was ever worth it. Keep in mind I'm towing a 23' trailer with a Toyota Tacoma. The power is fine, and I still get about 12MPG, and the trailer weighed 3800 lbs on the CAT scales, and the truck is rated for 6500 with the transmission cooler.

The biggest issue with a smaller truck is simply it's not as wide as the 1/2 tons, and that bit of stance and wheelbase absolutely helps. I was not enjoying my towing. After the Dual Cams, it's incredible the amount of control I have back. I towed 200 miles this weekend in 10 MPH crosswinds and headwinds, and while my gas mileage wasn't great (averaged 10.5, normally around 12), I got there doing 60 - 65 very safely, even with the big rigs passing (and giving me funny looks at my little truck).

I did a good bit of research of the equal-i-zer vs the Dual Cams, and after figuring out how they work, they are essentially two methods achieving the same goal, so really either one should work as well as the other. It's easier to move links on the Dual Cams, but you can do surge brakes and have better ground clearance on the Equal-i-zers.

Congrats, and just like the rest of you guys, I've been converted. I'm also pleased that this hitch setup should last me all the way up until I buy a 5th wheel. That is likely a few trailers from now, and the most I'll have to do in the mean time is upgrade my trunnion bars to heavier springs if I get a bigger truck / trailer combo later.

fajitas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
My 27' hybrid is fairly long when compared to the fairly short wheelbase on my Mountaineer (compared to a pickup). Very happy with the Equal-i-zer's performance, although I may need to do something about the noise (grease, sleeves, we'll see). We've been on 2 trips now, with the most recent along I-94 from Detroit to Port Huron. Decent amount of wind being near the lakes. I never felt pushed around by the wind or trucks. I could feel the initial hit from a gust or a big truck, but you feel that when you're not towing. The point is that such things should not set you into a fishtailing situation. You should feel relaxed and in control at the steering wheel.

thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote