Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #1

Hitch Upgrade to Equal-izer

For the past year we have been towing our TT with and Ez-Lift weight distribution hitch and a friction sway bar. On our way home from our Thanksgiving vacation last year we got caught in some bad storms on the interstate (tornado warnings). The wind would come up strong from different directions. It was all I could do to hold the truck and TT in the lane. I didn't want to appear concerned as I didn't want to alarm the DW. We were crossing a long bridge over a bay when the worst hit us, there was no where to safely pull over. Fortunately a tractor trailer driver saw the trouble I was having and kept anyone from passing me, found out at the rest area that they were campers also and he knew what I was going through. Well, that was the worst I have driven trough. I decided the next investment was going to be a better hitch set up. So, with the help of this forum and it's members, I purchased an Equal-izer hitch (10000 lb) and installed it this morning myself (only thing I had someone else do was install the ball in the hitch as I didn't have the correct tools). The removal of the old and the install of the new along with adjustments took me about 3 hours.
I hooked up and went for a 30 mile ride at 60 mph (about my usual tow speed) and a moderate wind. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!! I should have done this from the start and spent the extra money. If you are considering saving a buck and getting the friction type sway control, DON'T! Spend the money upfront and get a good hitch with integrated sway control. It's worth every cent. I hardly realize the TT is back there. The ride is good. Thanks FRF members for all the great information!

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Team

so many people try to cheap on the WDH.
"oh, the dealer said that this cheaper one, with a friction bar, is fine and don't need the more expensive Equalizer".

when i bought my HTT, i did a lot of reading and research on all the RV forums. i grew to realize that a WDH like the Equalizer, was well worth the money for our safety and comfortable towing.
i've never regretted it.
it's too bad when people don't realize the difference in towing that a good WDH, like the Equalizer or Reese Dual-Cam, can make.

glad you're happy with the upgrade!
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
so many people try to cheap on the WDH.
"oh, the dealer said that this cheaper one, with a friction bar, is fine and don't need the more expensive Equalizer".

when i bought my HTT, i did a lot of reading and research on all the RV forums. i grew to realize that a WDH like the Equalizer, was well worth the money for our safety and comfortable towing.
i've never regretted it.
it's too bad when people don't realize the difference in towing that a good WDH, like the Equalizer or Reese Dual-Cam, can make.

glad you're happy with the upgrade!
I so agree. When we bought the TT, we were upgrading from a PUP. Our friends that we camp with all have 5'vers so we didn't know any better. The dealer "threw in the hitch" (I'm sure we paid well for it), and I took his word. I had done a great deal of research on the TT and equipment for the TT, but didn't get to deep into the hitch. Wish I had, however, I know now, first hand, the difference and am glad to pass along my learning experience to others. Go with the INTEGRATED SWAY CONTROL!!! Happy towing!!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Any idea of the general ballpark price range on the Equal-izer?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
From RVWholesalers.com:

Equal-i-zer hitch 1000/10,000lbs trailer weight $439.99
Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) (keeps the creaking to a minimum) $18.99
2 5/16" 10,000lb ball $25.99
1 7/8" Thin Walled Equalizer Installation Socket $62.99
(you could have your shop do the ball so you wouldn't need the socket, but I want to be able to tighten it if needed)

Again, I did the installation myself. I am an electronics technician, I am no mechanic, but it was not hard at all as long as you have the correct tools. Mainly 1/2" socket set up to at least 1 1/8" and a 1 1/8" wrench. You will also need a 1/2" drive torque wrench (good thing to have for torquing your lug nuts).
Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
i bought mine from RVW, came with free shipping.
i bought the ball from Walmart.
i had a local shop install the ball in the hitch head, since i didn't want to buy a socket that i'd probably never need.
haven't needed the Bracket Jackets but they weren't available when i bought my Equalizer.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks for the information. The way most people talk about it I thought I might have to sell the house to pay for it. It's not cheap but it's do-able.

It won't be something I coud do but it's something to consider having done when I get my own TV to tow with. Now to ask for silly quesions: Is the hitch that thing attached to the trailer frame with the ball on top or is it that piece that fits in the receiver that will cover the ball?

Thanks,
Terie

Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Terie, a WDH fits into the TV's hitch RECEIVER.
here's a pic of the Equalizer:

the "stinger" slides into the receiver, where you slide the pin through to secure it.
the bars at the back, attach to the sides of the tongue.
and the ball goes on top of the hitch "head".
Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks for the picture & information. No pun intended but it makes picturing the image much easier.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the information. The way most people talk about it I thought I might have to sell the house to pay for it. It's not cheap but it's do-able.

It won't be something I coud do but it's something to consider having done when I get my own TV to tow with. Now to ask for silly quesions: Is the hitch that thing attached to the trailer frame with the ball on top or is it that piece that fits in the receiver that will cover the ball?

Thanks,
Terie
After we got the TT and I realized I screwed up and didn't get the correct type WDH/sway control, I had to put the Equal-i-zer on the "wish list". I'm slowly working down the "wish list". Of course as we check one thing off we add two more things. If I ever get everything just the way I want it, I'll have to get a new one and start all over!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #11

The equalizer is an awesome hitch. I've had my share of other types of WDH, but this one just plain works. The first day I pulled my 23SS with it was a very windy/gusty day with a direct cross-wind (90 degrees from my direction of travel). The rig was rock-steady even with my Silverado 1500. When the semi's came by in the left lane, I expected the usual pull, but it was barely noticable. I've been converted!
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

I too, cheaped out on my WD hitch when I got my TT a few months ago. After getting tossed around a bit too much and scaring the wife on a bridge on a windy day, she approved the upgrade to the Dual Cams.

I got them Thursday, installed and tested in about 3 hours.

WOW. This is no gimmic here, they really do their job.

I should have never thought saving a couple hundred dollars was ever worth it. Keep in mind I'm towing a 23' trailer with a Toyota Tacoma. The power is fine, and I still get about 12MPG, and the trailer weighed 3800 lbs on the CAT scales, and the truck is rated for 6500 with the transmission cooler.

The biggest issue with a smaller truck is simply it's not as wide as the 1/2 tons, and that bit of stance and wheelbase absolutely helps. I was not enjoying my towing. After the Dual Cams, it's incredible the amount of control I have back. I towed 200 miles this weekend in 10 MPH crosswinds and headwinds, and while my gas mileage wasn't great (averaged 10.5, normally around 12), I got there doing 60 - 65 very safely, even with the big rigs passing (and giving me funny looks at my little truck).

I did a good bit of research of the equal-i-zer vs the Dual Cams, and after figuring out how they work, they are essentially two methods achieving the same goal, so really either one should work as well as the other. It's easier to move links on the Dual Cams, but you can do surge brakes and have better ground clearance on the Equal-i-zers.

Congrats, and just like the rest of you guys, I've been converted. I'm also pleased that this hitch setup should last me all the way up until I buy a 5th wheel. That is likely a few trailers from now, and the most I'll have to do in the mean time is upgrade my trunnion bars to heavier springs if I get a bigger truck / trailer combo later.
fajitas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #13

My 27' hybrid is fairly long when compared to the fairly short wheelbase on my Mountaineer (compared to a pickup). Very happy with the Equal-i-zer's performance, although I may need to do something about the noise (grease, sleeves, we'll see). We've been on 2 trips now, with the most recent along I-94 from Detroit to Port Huron. Decent amount of wind being near the lakes. I never felt pushed around by the wind or trucks. I could feel the initial hit from a gust or a big truck, but you feel that when you're not towing. The point is that such things should not set you into a fishtailing situation. You should feel relaxed and in control at the steering wheel.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote