Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Hitch Weight

Hello everyone! I am planning on purchasing a Toyota Sequoia in the near future. It has a 7400 pound towing capacity with a cargo carrying capacity of 1260 pounds. I then plan on picking up a Rockwood Roo to tow behind it. My issue is that I plan on having fiver adults in the vehicle, when traveling, which would bring my max hitch weight to 585 pounds...( our combined weight 675)...Does this sound correct to everyone? Is there a way to add more weight to the rear of the trailer to lower the hitch weight a little? Or would switching to higher load bearing tires allow for additional hitch weight?

I would really like to get the 233S, but with theses figures, the hitch weight would be too much. Any advice would be appreciated..

Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

found this article that may pertain to you...
https://www.etrailer.com/question-68538.html

a weight distribution hitch at minimum would be required, and load range E tires on the TV would help with sway and load capability over stock tires

hope this helps some

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

If you are using a WDH, don't forget to add about 75-100 lbs for the weight of the hitch itself. Also, where did you get the cargo capacity figure of 1260 lbs? If it is from the brochure, ignore it. You will need to see what the payload capacity sticker on the actual vehicle is. It will most likely be lower than 1260, possible significantly lower.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
If you are using a WDH, don't forget to add about 75-100 lbs for the weight of the hitch itself. Also, where did you get the cargo capacity figure of 1260 lbs? If it is from the brochure, ignore it. You will need to see what the payload capacity sticker on the actual vehicle is. It will most likely be lower than 1260, possible significantly lower.
I got the cargo capacity number off of a friend's Sequoia (off the plate on the door)...
Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acommonsoul View Post
I got the cargo capacity number off of a friend's Sequoia (off the plate on the door)...
That is a smart move. That will get you pretty close to the actual capacity, but every vehicle is different due to trim level, aftermarket doodads, etc.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

do not load anything into the trailer, no propane, food or water... (hard to do), do not allow for anything to be taken by the five adults (impossible to do) and you can probably pull the trailer with a tongue weight of 585#

however if you bring anything with you, clothes, cooler, food, propane tank... then you will be payload overloaded if you plan to use the Sequoia and a 233S...

possible downsize from the 233S?

get a crew cab pickup and you might be able to bring five people and their gear too! I have a 14 crew cab RAM 1500 and my payload is about 1400#, which is only another 140# payload over the Sequoia... just for comparison... other pickups like Ford F-150 have much higher payload and tow capacity... but I like my RAM for my needs which might include 3 adults max and maybe 500# tongue weight with the trailer (183) LOADED...

good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

I was thinking the same thing. He could probably tow it empty with one passenger and a 20 quart cooler.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
do not load anything into the trailer, no propane, food or water... (hard to do), do not allow for anything to be taken by the five adults (impossible to do) and you can probably pull the trailer with a tongue weight of 585#

however if you bring anything with you, clothes, cooler, food, propane tank... then you will be payload overloaded if you plan to use the Sequoia and a 233S...

possible downsize from the 233S?

get a crew cab pickup and you might be able to bring five people and their gear too! I have a 14 crew cab RAM 1500 and my payload is about 1400#, which is only another 140# payload over the Sequoia... just for comparison... other pickups like Ford F-150 have much higher payload and tow capacity... but I like my RAM for my needs which might include 3 adults max and maybe 500# tongue weight with the trailer (183) LOADED...

good luck
Oh how I wish I could just buy a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck but unfortunately it will be my wife's car and she only wants an SUV...I have looked at the 23WS also, which has a lower tongue weight...I have a lot of research to do..thanks!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

M23-WS

Quote:
Base Weight (lbs / kg): 4841 / 2195.9
Carrying Capacity (lbs / kg): 1459 / 661.8
Hitch Weight (lbs / kg): 500 / 226.8
this model seems like you have gained about 80# of towing capacity over the 233S... still not enough, either too much trailer or not enough TV...

Why not drive 2 vehicles to the campground? At an average of 675/5=135# per person, 3 people taken out of the TV gains you 400# of payload/tongue weight available for the Sequoia...

Makes the numbers tell a different story for the possibility of pulling a Roo 233S or M23-WS

Tongue weight needs to be between 10-15% of total trailer weight... say an average of about 13%... heavier tongue weight makes for less white knuckle driving... tail heavy trailers tend to want to wag the tow vehicle and make for anxious driving moments.

We are closer back to my original answer of... a weight distribution hitch and maybe some 10 ply stiff sidewall tires on the TV ( can be added if necessary), two people in the TV, and a cooler, some clothes and camping supplies in the TT or the TV could be doable... with the rest of the crew in another auto!

just trying to think out of the box...
Good luck...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
M23-WS

this model seems like you have gained about 80# of towing capacity over the 233S... still not enough, either too much trailer or not enough TV...

Why not drive 2 vehicles to the campground? At an average of 675/5=135# per person, 3 people taken out of the TV gains you 400# of payload/tongue weight available for the Sequoia...

Makes the numbers tell a different story for the possibility of pulling a Roo 233S or M23-WS

Tongue weight needs to be between 10-15% of total trailer weight... say an average of about 13%... heavier tongue weight makes for less white knuckle driving... tail heavy trailers tend to want to wag the tow vehicle and make for anxious driving moments.

We are closer back to my original answer of... a weight distribution hitch and maybe some 10 ply stiff sidewall tires on the TV ( can be added if necessary), two people in the TV, and a cooler, some clothes and camping supplies in the TT or the TV could be doable... with the rest of the crew in another auto!

just trying to think out of the box...
Good luck...
I think you are right and the only way to get the trailer I want, is to bring two vehicles...this will open up a lot more room for gear and such.

Thanks for the advice

Tags
hitch, weight