Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #11

1,000 10,000 will work
ask them what brand they sell and then do your homework and see what price you can get it for somewhere to see what kind of a deal you are getting or screwed for that matter LOL
I bought my hitch setup from the dealer cause they matched the RV Direct prices which was descent enough and they made a little profit but didnt kill me.

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

i bought my Equalizer WDH from RVW and the dealer i bought my Roo from, installed it for free. and they sold Reese.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #13

How far is it from dealer ship to home? If not far I would install receiver and wiring at home. Put the ball on and drag it home. worry about torshon bars or sway control till I got home. Then Find a nice level spot and spend the time to do it right
I'll probably get jumped on for this But you have a strong TV and the TT is empty. Most dealerships set up hitches without all your personals in TT Which will change the way hitch is set up.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
How far is it from dealer ship to home? If not far I would install receiver and wiring at home. Put the ball on and drag it home. worry about torshon bars or sway control till I got home. Then Find a nice level spot and spend the time to do it right
I'll probably get jumped on for this But you have a strong TV and the TT is empty. Most dealerships set up hitches without all your personals in TT Which will change the way hitch is set up.

Well I'm still working on price negotiations between two dealers - one is 45 min. from home the other 2.5 hrs from home. The one further out has the best price by about $2K - I'm still trying to get the more local dealer to come down a bit more on his price.

2.5 hours is probably way to far to take this risk with - I might chance it with the 45 min drive over mostly lightly travelled roads with avg. speed of 45 mph.

My biggest problem is that both dealers only offer and install Husky brand hitches - neither will install one I buy and bring along.
I really have my heart set on a better brand so I feel like I'm going to pay for it twice if have the dealer do it, cuz I'm sure to upgrade to the better model in time.
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephs2125 View Post
My biggest problem is that both dealers only offer and install Husky brand hitches - neither will install one I buy and bring along.
I really have my heart set on a better brand so I feel like I'm going to pay for it twice if have the dealer do it, cuz I'm sure to upgrade to the better model in time.
I think you are right that you might very well upgrade to the hitch you wanted in the first place.

I know you are feeling that setting it up yourself while at the dealer's lot is an issue, but people do it. The dealer isn't going to mind that, are they? Or pick up the trailer and drive a mile or two to a park and take your time with it and enjoy the process.

If you DIY, its really going to be your DH's choice, too, as he is the one who will be doing the work on the fly so to speak. You might ask him to review your favored hitch instructions and let him decide. Besides, he would need to know what tools he has to have on hand.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I am not familiar with the Husky hitches, but what I can find online is the Husky Center Line works on the same principal as the Equalizer brand.....they should have integrated sway control similar to the Equalizer brand. The Husky models that use chains don't appear to have any kind of sway control. You would need to get a friction control system for those models of WDH. Usually the integrated WDH and sway control systems are preferred, but you are pulling a relatively short trailer, so the friction sway control should work fine.

I would not recommend pulling the trailer without a WDH or sway control. Besides the potential for emergency situations, the hitch on the truck could be overloaded. Many hitches, especially on 1/2 ton pickups have a maximum weight carrying tongue weight of 500 lbs., with the weight rating for using a WDH significantly higher. There should be a sticker on the truck hitch stating your weights.

Without a WDH, putting close to 700 lbs. on my hitch puts almost 1000 lbs. of extra weight on my rear axle.....that is within 30 lbs. of the RAWR. Plus it takes close to 300 lbs. of weight off of the front axle. IMHO that could make a truck handle quite differently.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #17

A few people on Jayco Forum have the Husky centerline WD hitch and really like it. The hitch has active sway control. After reading about it it dosn't sound like a bad hitch to look into. http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/P010...CenterLine.pdf
Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Without a WDH, putting close to 700 lbs. on my hitch puts almost 1000 lbs. of extra weight on my rear axle.....that is within 30 lbs. of the RAWR. Plus it takes close to 300 lbs. of weight off of the front axle. IMHO that could make a truck handle quite differently.
I pulled mine home from the dealer without the WDH or sway; slowly and carefully; it was "swimmy" IMO; not scary but not comfortable. BUT, that allowed me to take my time (at home), install the hitch myself, carefully measure everything, and I got it just right. On top of that, if you go through that process, you fully understand your hitch and how to adjust it.

IMHO, dealers often do a half-a$$ed job with the install. Saw my buddy go through it. We wound up re-installing his hitch ourselves. He was much happier when we were done.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I pulled mine home from the dealer without the WDH or sway; slowly and carefully; it was "swimmy" IMO; not scary but not comfortable. BUT, that allowed me to take my time (at home), install the hitch myself, carefully measure everything, and I got it just right. On top of that, if you go through that process, you fully understand your hitch and how to adjust it.
If I were to do it again, this is what I would do. Not the fault of the dealer, but when I picked up our TT it didn't have a thing in it, as in all of the storage compartments, water tanks, pantry, overhead and under bed storage cabinets, etc. etc, were empty, so "perfectly" installing the WDH at that time was somewhat of a waste of time. Once we had the TT stocked the way we now use it and the TV loaded as we normally do when going out (full gas tank, bed loaded, etc.) then it makes sense to install it.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
If I were to do it again, this is what I would do. Not the fault of the dealer, but when I picked up our TT it didn't have a thing in it, as in all of the storage compartments, water tanks, pantry, overhead and under bed storage cabinets, etc. etc, were empty, so "perfectly" installing the WDH at that time was somewhat of a waste of time. Once we had the TT stocked the way we now use it and the TV loaded as we normally do when going out (full gas tank, bed loaded, etc.) then it makes sense to install it.
Ok, I don't quite understand this. Some of the comments have confused me.

Why couldn't she get the hitch installed first then pick up the unit? I understand that they might be doing this themselves since the dealer is not willing. Then if necessary adjust the hitch when the unit is loaded with personal gear.

Would the other dealer be willing to order and install the hitch of choice? There would be a charge for the labor involved. Even without a sale I would think one would want the business to add to the profit line.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote