Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Ok, I don't quite understand this. Some of the comments have confused me.

Why couldn't she get the hitch installed first then pick up the unit? I understand that they might be doing this themselves since the dealer is not willing. Then if necessary adjust the hitch when the unit is loaded with personal gear.

Would the other dealer be willing to order and install the hitch of choice? There would be a charge for the labor involved. Even without a sale I would think one would want the business to add to the profit line.
The dealer will not touch it unless it is their brand they sell would be my guess cause they may not want to take any chance due to Liability - like if you touch it you are married to it - that is what we say working on equiptment.

because she need's measurements to get the height of the ball right and the trailer level and be able to add the brackets to the trailer in order to use the hitch.
depending on how far she has to take it I would not drive without the hitch installed (weight distribution at the least)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #22

Stephs2125...
I have my equal-i-zer hitch posted on craigslist if you're interested. I used it for 2 seasons before trading in our TT for a fifth wheel. It's the 1000/10000 pound version.
I see that you are from S.E. Michigan so we may be close... I am Toledo.
Let me know.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #23

Don't know about Reese but you get very detailed install instructions with the Equil-I-Zer including how to measure with the levels of the tow vehicle and the rig to get a good estimate of the hitch height. I say install it yourself with a good estimate because that will give you a lot safer ride than just a ball on receiver. We had the dealer do it and the thing sat like there was no WD. I white knuckled it home and pulled the mount and moved it to the right level. After that, I loved it. The trailer sat at the back of the car like it was welded to it. At least until i turned it. But that is the purpose and I don't have to release anything to get in a sharp turn. Really important for longer trailers in a back in spot.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #24

Hi all,
Thank you so very much for all of your replies. Your advice has been so valuable. Long story short, I was unhappy with the hitch the dealer was planning to install so started looking around again and found a more local dealer (45 min. vs. 2.5 hr) and the agreed to a more upgraded setup. Dealer 1 was going to install a low end Husky, separate swar bars, and voyager brake control. For a little more than dealer 1, dealer 2 is going to install the Husky centerline ( has integrated sway) and is similar to the equal-i-zer model, and the p2 brake controller. ive done some comparisons and reading. Seems those with the centerline model are happy with it. So I'll go that route for now. If for some reason I am dissatisfied with the WDH I can always buy another one.
Thank you Stevea1956, for your offer. I think I am set for now.
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
President ProPride, Inc.

If your dealer will not install your choice of hitch, find another dealer. After 15 years in the hitch business I can tell you that if the dealer is holding you hostage over the hitch installation you are starting the relationship on the wrong foot. YOU are the customer and YOU make the choices. If the dealer does not want to listen then you can find a trailer from another dealer. If they are out of town then negotiate the delivery to your driveway. Install the hitch at home.

Here's the bottom line... I'll take some flack for this from my dealer friends. YOU, especially those of you reading here on a forum, know more about what is needed than 95% of the dealers selling hitches. I would bet money on YOU having read and researched for more hours than 95% of any of them.

Dealers DO NOT study the dynamics of towing. They offer what they have available to sell you without regard to the safety. IF they were concerned about the safety, and studied the dynamics of towing, they would be offering you something entirely different along with their "branded" hitch.

Off my soapbox now... sorry about the rant. I just read way to many threads like this and they all boil down to the false sense of knowing what the dynamics of towing include.
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

^^^ X2 ^^^

Right on, Sean!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
If your dealer will not install your choice of hitch, find another dealer.
Really? I know we are talking about WDH, but then how about vent covers? Slide-out tops? Battery brand, etc, etc! So if I dealer isn't familiar with a product and its installation and more importantly doesn't want to be held responsible for improperly installing it, we should walk away?

Please understand the implication of what you are saying: a dealer should install anything and everything that walks (or brought in) thru the front door. I'm buying a RV from a dealer, any accessories that I want and he can't or won't provide I will get myself.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
Really? I know we are talking about WDH, but then how about vent covers? Slide-out tops? Battery brand, etc, etc! So if I dealer isn't familiar with a product and its installation and more importantly doesn't want to be held responsible for improperly installing it, we should walk away?

Please understand the implication of what you are saying: a dealer should install anything and everything that walks (or brought in) thru the front door. I'm buying a RV from a dealer, any accessories that I want and he can't or won't provide I will get myself.

Only a dealer that wants to make customers happy. I COMPLETELY understand the implications of what I am saying. None of those things require a rocket scientist. They may require a little bit of a learning curve but that is a very small price to pay for a customer.

It's not about what the dealer wants. That's one of the major problems in this industry. We have too many dealers who believe it is their needs rather than the customer's needs.

"Buy from me AND you can only buy the hitch that I stock. If you don't buy the coach from me I won't service it either..." It goes on and on. It's a joke and it's a selfish, last century, way of doing business.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes, a dealer should install the hitch you want. This is the kind of service that you would expect a good dealer to provide. Who says that a business has to make money every time you come into their shop? Trust me, as a business owner, good service like this will repay itself down the road.

That's how it works.

More to the point. Why would you begin a relationship with a dealer that wouldn't do this? To borrow from your example. What if they don't have the covers you want? Or the batteries you want?

Personally, I have brought items into my dealer and paid them for their time to install. Including an Equal-i-zer hitch on a trailer a couple of trailers ago. No problem for them and I appreciated the service.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Only a dealer that wants to make customers happy. I COMPLETELY understand the implications of what I am saying. None of those things require a rocket scientist. They may require a little bit of a learning curve but that is a very small price to pay for a customer.

It's not about what the dealer wants. That's one of the major problems in this industry. We have too many dealers who believe it is their needs rather than the customer's needs.

"Buy from me AND you can only buy the hitch that I stock. If you don't buy the coach from me I won't service it either..." It goes on and on. It's a joke and it's a selfish, last century, way of doing business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Yes, a dealer should install the hitch you want. This is the kind of service that you would expect a good dealer to provide. Who says that a business has to make money every time you come into their shop? Trust me, as a business owner, good service like this will repay itself down the road.

That's how it works.

More to the point. Why would you begin a relationship with a dealer that wouldn't do this? To borrow from your example. What if they don't have the covers you want? Or the batteries you want?

Personally, I have brought items into my dealer and paid them for their time to install. Including an Equal-i-zer hitch on a trailer a couple of trailers ago. No problem for them and I appreciated the service.
Sorry guys but we'll have to agree on disagreeing on this issue.

Apologies to the OP for diverting from her original question.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:

That's okay... I'll take the hitch business. Oh wait, I already do.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

That's OK, Frank. I re-read my post and sounded sharper than I meant to sound. I don't want to be "that guy".

I was coming from the perspective as an owner of a small business.

FYI - Its a pet peeve.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #33
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
That's OK, Frank. I re-read my post and sounded sharper than I meant to sound. I don't want to be "that guy".

I was coming from the perspective as an owner of a small business.

FYI - Its a pet peeve.

We have the same pet...

-
Old 01-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #34

has anyone actually suggested contacting them at Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

I didn't have a clue (thats what my wife says all the time anyway)
as to what I needed to haul our new TT behind our new 2011 Echoboost. One phone call and they were sending me what I needed - nothing more nothing less. and at a better price than the dealer.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #35
Site Team

I see both sides regarding the posts about the "pet".

Some things are "deal breakers". In that case we has to decide if to enter into the deal as is or consider other options. With that said I try to pick and choose my battles with care.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #36

Quote:

No aplogies required - I am learning something from every post in this thread - and I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions.
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #37

If your lucky, you may have a hitch shop nearby. We have one nearby in Riverside. All they do is hitches and 5ers. They know their stuff and can set up a WD hitch just off measurements sent in from the dealer. Heck I would trust a U-Haul center over some dealers. Also try to find a commercial truck dealership. Not necessarily a Mac lot, but there are Ford and GMC dealers that deal in heavy duty pickups and converted trucks. They do hitch work all the time as well.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #38

lucky

Well, i guess i got lucky with my dealer, they sell several brands of hitches. I chose the Reese Trunion Strait Line Dual Cam system, which they carry, however, they sold it for more than $200 more than what I can get it online for, I offered them the sale, if they would match the price, and at the time, they couldnt, but said to check back when I am actually ready to buy the hitch, as I am not picking my uinit up from them until march. But, they did say If I bought it someplace else, they would install it no problem. I guess my thing is, I am pretty handy, and can prob do it my self, but I never have, and want to make sure it is all correct. I used to have fifth wheels, those were easy...
so should I just have them do it, or do it myself and take the gamble? I understand that I will probably have to adjust it myself once it is loaded. They quoted me a price of $170 for the install. After looking at the instructions online, and talking to another Reese dealer, I think that is a little much, and $100 max would be a fair price for am hour ro install this. Thoughts???
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
Well, i guess i got lucky with my dealer, they sell several brands of hitches. I chose the Reese Trunion Strait Line Dual Cam system, which they carry, however, they sold it for more than $200 more than what I can get it online for, I offered them the sale, if they would match the price, and at the time, they couldnt, but said to check back when I am actually ready to buy the hitch, as I am not picking my uinit up from them until march. But, they did say If I bought it someplace else, they would install it no problem. I guess my thing is, I am pretty handy, and can prob do it my self, but I never have, and want to make sure it is all correct. I used to have fifth wheels, those were easy...
so should I just have them do it, or do it myself and take the gamble? I understand that I will probably have to adjust it myself once it is loaded. They quoted me a price of $170 for the install. After looking at the instructions online, and talking to another Reese dealer, I think that is a little much, and $100 max would be a fair price for am hour ro install this. Thoughts???
If it was me and I knew my truck could handle the camper without it I would save the money and install yourself a mile down the road in a shopping center before heading home - if you don't think you TV will handle good without it - let them install it and yes you will probably have to adjust after getting it loaded out with your gear and supplies.

Here is what it boils down to - it is going to depend on what camper you are buying and what you will be towing it with because I doubt they are going to let you install it there on site before you leave so if you tow and go with out it will your tow vehicle be able to support the trailer without it for a short distance or will it make you unsafe.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote