Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

Hitchhiker vs pull rite hitch

I am interested in any information you might have on the use of a hitchhiker hitch vs a pull rite hitch. I would like to know if anybody prefers the hitchhiker over the pull rite. The hitchhiker seems to be more impressive to me because it doesn't require a capture plate. What do you think?
jchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchild View Post
I am interested in any information you might have on the use of a hitchhiker hitch vs a pull rite hitch. I would like to know if anybody prefers the hitchhiker over the pull rite. The hitchhiker seems to be more impressive to me because it doesn't require a capture plate. What do you think?

I have the pull rite and it's uses the capture plate. Love the hitch. Extremely well made. Capture plate is no problem. Dealer put mine on and there's no need to take it off. So what's the problem with using a capture plate vs not??
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

It seems to me that the use of a capture plate makes it more difficult to hook up the 5th wheel trailer. I don't a 5th wheel trailer yet so I can't say if I am correct or not in my assumption or not.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

The biggest problem with the PullRite is that you have to be almost straight on with the trailer in order to hitch it. I think it's +/- 12 degrees from straight. Most of the time it's not a problem.
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #5

Yes you do have to hook up as close to straight as you can but there is some play if your not dead square on it. I've never had a problem.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Does the hitchhiker hitch have the same problems as the Pull rite hitch with regards to having to be straight on to hook up?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Yes you do have to hook up as close to straight as you can but there is some play if your not dead square on it. I've never had a problem.
X2, same here, never had a problem and I'm not always "dead straight" when I hook up.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

I have had to hook up and unhook at a 45 degree angle with my Pullrite 18K without issue. You need to have the trailer at the right height to hook up as the trailer pin box and the plate are not at the ideal angle but no problem.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch