Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #1

Honda CRV - Breakaway Switch Wire Routing

I have a 2007 Honda CRV toad that I am seeking recommendations on how to route the breakaway switch wire into the interior for a Brake Buddy braking system. Any help is appreciated.
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
I Break Everything

We had a CRV, close to the to that year. We had a Blue OX Patriot braking system.

I ran the wires through the firewall close to the stirring column. There's already a cut out there, it just plugged with a plastic/rubber stopper.

I did this a few years ago, I don't remember all the ins and outs, we have a Jeep now. Make sure you read EVERYTHING about towing a CRV 4 wheels down. Is it all wheel drive? Is a manual transmission?

There are loads of people that will tell you they've towed a 2007/Honda for Miles and miles with no problems. Well I'm one that won't tell you that. We were on a long trip, around 6500 miles. About 600 miles from the end, transmission failed. We followed the steps RELIGIOUSLY afraid something would happen. I researched here, other sites talked to Honda, our mechanic, etc. Like I said, we have a Jeep now. Sad thing, I had to repurchase all the Blue ox base plate again, but wiring in the Jeep was a snap.

There are some steps to follow when towing 4 down.

Try this forum as well:
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/8578/honda/cr-v/honda-cr-v-dinghy-towing-behind-an-rv

Click image for larger version

Name:	CRV 2007.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	144378

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. We have towed the CRV for about 15,000 miles so far, including Alaska and return, with no problems. It is a front wheel drive only and automatic. I should knock on wood, I suppose. We did it without the brake system (I know that's not too smart) and I just want to install it even though we never had any braking problem with the previous E450 Coachman class C. We purchased a new Sunseeker E450 and I'll be pulling the CRV another 6,000 miles or so by the end of 2017. I have also gone through the recommended procedure of changing the transmission fluid, so hopefully, it will continue to be OK. I also installed a battery maintainer that does away with the need to pull the fuse or wire around it and that has always kept the battery charged. I keep a copy of the towing procedure in the CRV and go through it item by item. I make a practice of going through the run-up procedure anytime we stop for more than 10 or 15 minutes. Our traveling buddy purchased a later model (2014) 4WD model and towed it on our trip to Nova Scotia and back last year with no problems.

As an aside, I recently purchased a 4 wheel-down towable Jeep Grand Cherokee that will eventually replace the CRV. But.... it weighs some 1500 lbs more and the 5.7 hemi uses a lot more fuel on the side trips. Keeping my fingers crossed on the CRV, though, and thanks for the tips.
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakaway, switch