Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Unhappy HOT WIRE and brake controller question

Hello,

So I am a first time owner and will be taking possession of my 2013 Rockwood ROO 183 Trailer in the first weekend of May. I am so new to this lifestyle I come to you guys as ignorant as I can possibly be and hope you forgive me for what some may consider quite a silly question. My dealer has sold me on the Stabilizer / Sway bar. Also sold me on upgrading my 4+1 pin connector I have in the car (2008 Highlander Sport with HITCH package (5000 lbs version). He explained that I should consider getting a HOT WIRE. He wants $200 for it plus $150 installation but after negotiations he said that since we are installing the Brake controller wires that he will install free of labor the hot wire into the trailer. I agreed but would prefer to see if I can find this cable online for cheaper as I have a hard time swallowing a $200 charge for a cable which ultimately just connects electricity to my alternator and the trailer battery. Can someone give me a better understanding of this and if I even need this considering I am getting the wiring for the Brake line installed already? Am I getting scammed for $200 because I negotiated the price so much and the salesman is just trying to recoup some money? Please help a clueless first timer out. I am sure some of you may have gone through this exprience yourself and have had similar concerns. I ended up getting a really good deal on everything but I feel at this point he is simply trying to upsell me to make back some of his lost commissions.

Help.
dronefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
H2oski

200 sounds to steep to me. I would re o end you call your local car dealer and ask tnem how much they charge to install the power wire. At least you will have an idea if your rv dealer is pulling you leg. Good luck.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

If I understand this correctly, you need the dealer (or someone) install a 7 pin plug in place of the flat 4 plug you currently have. When wired correctly onto the TV, it provides all you need to the camper.

Hopefully the dealer is installing a proportional type controller such as Prodigy P2 or P3.

Dave

Edit: Here's a link regarding connectors... Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
200 sounds to steep to me. I would re o end you call your local car dealer and ask tnem how much they charge to install the power wire. At least you will have an idea if your rv dealer is pulling you leg. Good luck.
They claim that 200 is just the cable. Installation is more but since they are running the brake line they won't charge extra. I am more interested in knowing if the lower that feeds through the brake controller line would already do this or do I actually need to run another line?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Welcome to the forum!

If I understand this correctly, you need the dealer (or someone) install a 7 pin plug in place of the flat 4 plug you currently have. When wired correctly onto the TV, it provides all you need to the camper.

Hopefully the dealer is installing a proportional type controller such as Prodigy P2 or P3.

Dave

Edit: Here's a link regarding connectors... Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
He claims its a p2
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You should be talking to your local Toyoto dealer explaining that a 7 pin plug has to be wired up and if there's a 12V supply from the TV's battery/alternator in the wiring harness at the back to splice into. This wire when connected, supplies 12V power to charge the camper's battery when the TV is running.

Ask what the Toyoto dealer would charge to install the 7 pin plug.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Personally, I would not want my RV dealer mucking with my tow vehicle wiring. My recommendation is take it to your Toyota dealer for installation and wiring of the 7-pin connector. No finger pointing if it is not wired correctly.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
Personally, I would not want my RV dealer mucking with my tow vehicle wiring. My recommendation is take it to your Toyota dealer for installation and wiring of the 7-pin connector. No finger pointing if it is not wired correctly.
x2 on this!!

As I understand it your dealer is going to charge you $200.00 for a piece of wire to run from your battery to the 7 pin plug they installing for you? Did they have a gun handy? That is just criminal!

As Dave said above, what needs to happen is you need your tow vehicle converted from a 4 pin trailer output to a 7 pin trailer output. The additional pins are for trailer brakes, 12v power to the trailer, and reverse lights. SO in other words, part of the correct installation of a 7 pin trailer wiring configuration is the 12v power lead. Most OEM systems have this 12v lead switched off the key so that it does not drain the battery of the tow vehicle when not running. Perhaps he is installing a relay for that purpose and not giving you all the information you need.

Regardless, I would look to your vehicle manufacturer for correct install. Failure to use Toyota approved parts or install method will void certain parts of your warranty.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brakes