Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Housekeeping and maintenamce on Hitch and tow equipment

Question on Best Practices and general maintenance on tow hotches and tow bars. I have been told not to grease any parts. How do you maintan and keep rust and corrosion at bay, I store everything out of the weather and still find that rust and corrosion is creeping in. Just looking for some house keeping tips to keep everything running for years to come....

JJankows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Depends on the manufacture. On my Reese Dual Cam, I put grease on the spring bars where they fit into the head assembly. Reese suggests a heavy oil there. I grease the ball, also. I use Vaseline on the spring bars where they ride on the cams. Reese instructions says not to use oil or grease there, but Vaseline is OK. On my last trip, I WD-40d my chains, and that quieted those down, but the links collected too much road grime and dirt. I think I am going to try silicone spray next trip to see how that works.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Experienced Newbie
My Blue Ox SwayPro instructions suggest an occasional squirt of grease before the trip to ensure quiet operation. I also use a light coating of axle grease on the ball and coupler before each trip. The only thing that squeaks on the trailer to announce my arrival are the spring components. I may grease these too before my next trip.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote