Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

How accurate are listed hitch weights?

Hi, Iím new here at this forum, so thank you in advance.

I recently purchased a 2018 Sierra 379FLOK and was wondering how accurate FRís listed hitch weighs are?
Iím in the market for a srw truck and first thought a Ram 2500 would do the trick (because I see a lot of them towing huge rigs) but after reading around this site, Iím thinking im wrong.

So can I rely on the manufacture listed pin weight of 2495#

Thanks
Again
Bob

Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Short answer, no you canít. That is the dry weight, something you will never see.

Your best bet is to go by 20% of the GVWR. In the case of that trailer, 3,100 LB.

Add in hitch gear, people, random ďstuffĒ and Iíd be looking for a truck with around 4,000LB of payload capacity; DRW 1-ton territory.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
D W

If you're talking about the weights listed in the brochures, they're useless. Those weights are for the rig "as manufactured", without batteries, propane cylinders, fresh water load, etc. Plus it does not account for what items you're going to haul in the rig. All of the things will increase your pin weight. You'll have to do some rough calculating to start with, then hit the scales to get an accurate picture of what you got.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Generally, dry hitch weights are for a stripped down version of the trailer. Used to only include the weights of empty tanks. Now it includes filled propane tanks.
Doesn't include weights of batteries, options(including "forced options), cargo or water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

The Rams I started looking at are now, are the 3500’s with a 11,700 GVW and 4070# payload. SRW.

Also, being a front living, most of my luggage and gear will be behind the axel.
Will that be enough to offset the batteries and propane?
Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

You canít use the dry weight alone and you canít pick just a specific percentage. Iíve seen fifth wheels with as low as 15-16% pin weight (both of my trailers now) and some as high as 23-24%. Thatís a huge disparity.

I have found that you can use the dry weights to establish a percentage of what the designed-in pin weight is.

Then, if itís a front-storage heavy design, increase it by 1-3%.

If itís a rear heavy design (dual slides in the rear and whatnot), you might be able to stick to the low side of that.

Then multiple that by your estimated load. Hereís a tool that helps you do it:

http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...nWeightFromDry
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #7

Someone just ran his own home test on this very subject and shared in thread just scroll down
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert B View Post
Hi, Iím new here at this forum, so thank you in advance.

I recently purchased a 2018 Sierra 379FLOK and was wondering how accurate FRís listed hitch weighs are?
Iím in the market for a srw truck and first thought a Ram 2500 would do the trick (because I see a lot of them towing huge rigs) but after reading around this site, Iím thinking im wrong.

So can I rely on the manufacture listed pin weight of 2495#

Thanks
Again
Bob
Your trailer has a lower listed dry weight and max weight than our CC 36CK2. Ours is rear living floor plan with the bedroom over the hitch. We also added a washer and dryer to ours (in the bedroom closet). Our actual pin weight when loaded and ready to camp is 2880 lbs. and the total trailer weight is 14,000lbs. Listed pin weight is 2525lbs. I bet the washer/dryer was 300lbs. We pulled this with a 2014 F350 SRW that had a cargo capacity of 3411lbs. I installed a 50 gallon Titan tank and used a Pullrite Superglide hitch - both of these probably added 400lbs. When fully loaded up, my gross weight was 11,800lbs vs. listed max of 11,500lbs - so I was overweight. Skip the washer/dryer, don't add the 50 gallon tank and get a lighter (Anderson ) hitch and I would certainly have been closer to listed max weight, if not under. I personally wouldn't go with a SRW 2500, but a SRW 3500 should work (although you'll be close on capacities).

This question is one of the most debated items on this or most rv forums. Best bet is to find the truck you're interested in, and look at the actual payload capacity sticker on the drivers side door jam.

We looked at that floor plan and it's very nice. Enjoy your new 5th wheel.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight