Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #21
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It may also be possible that, if the tranny's got mixed up somehow (right part number, but wrong tranny), they don't know WHICH vans the bad trannys got put into, and hence, can NOT notifiy owners; they can only wait until a failure shows up.
Your statement seems likely.

My regular mechanic called Ford with the VIN to find out which model transmission was in my van. Ford gave him the model number and I called the transmission shop with the model number to get an idea of what the cost of a new transmission would be. When the van made it to the transmission shop, they discovered that the transmission model number provided by Ford did not match the model installed. Obviously, Ford has no idea which of their 2013 E-250s have this problem.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #22
Since the truck has the wrong transmission it is not a safety issue, they recall for safety items.

Ford probably has a program to repair these vehicles when a problem shows up. I remember Ford did replace a boatload of 1991 Taurus transmissions due to failures but it was an owner relation program and not a safety recall program.

2017 Surveyor 33RETS with Residential Refrigerator and Inverter
2015 Palomino Puma 30FQSS --Traded--
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L 2WD
Nights Camped 2016 23

Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
Ford can do a very simple solution:
Notify all current owners of E-250 vans, in a suspected date range, that there may be an issue with the transmission in their van.
In the notification Ford can offer an extended warranty on the transmission(as Chrysler did with my mini van motor head).
Also in the notification state to the owner that if the owner has had repairs done to the transmission they should contact their local Ford dealer for review of possible reimbursement for the repair costs.
This would make me happier as a Ford owner(F53).
2007 Georgetown SE 315
1998 Saturn SL2 Toad
George-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #24
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It was Ford who stated this E-250 VAN has the wrong transmission in it. It was Ford who stated the installed transmission was designed for an F-150 PICKUP, not an E-250 VAN. Now, I'm a plumber, not an auto mechanic, and I don't know what the difference between an E-250 VAN and F-150 PICKUP transmission is, but it sure sounds to me like Ford admitted that they did something wrong and that there must be a difference between the two transmissions. Why else would they be changing it out for me at no cost? Why would Ford tell the transmission shop they are aware of this problem and have available stock of replacement transmissions just for this issue?

I'm telling you everything I see about the specs on E250 vans is that at least on the 5.4 they use the same tranny as both the E150 van and the F150 truck. Only F250 pickups get a special heavy duty transmission standard. You didn't say what motor you have so I'm just guessing at the most common. Is your van out of warranty? If not it's very low miles for a failure. Maybe Ford is just actually doing you a favor and you in turn want to throw them under the bus, or E250. I would be tickled pink if any of my cars failed out of warranty and the maker picked up the tab with no difficulty.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #25
Well put Rockford clears up a lot of gray area stuff.
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #26
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would also be happy I was getting a new transmission. The transmissions are usually the weak link...and you are getting an upgrade. I suppose all 3/4T vehicles have a heavy and light version. Maybe this was the issue. I would check the GVW and check the specs. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote