Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #1

How close is your bumper to your 5th wheel

I already asked if moving hitch up an inch was worth it many positive and helpful replies. I moved my hitch forward BD companion 4 inches so it is now 1 inch behind the pin. My initial thought was weight was being evenly distributed over the frame of hitch so good to go. Not to mention using my mirrors I was scared bumper would hit trailer during hard turns. Well it was further than I thought about 12 inches at its closest point. If I change the pin position on the hitch I can go from 1 inch behind to 3 inches ahead but then that puts bumper even closer to trl. I don’t have an up close picture. So my question is how close is bumper to your 5th wheel
Old 05-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #2

First, I would say that you need the clearance over your bed rails and the 5er pin should be over your rear axle.
Moving the B&W forwards or backwards, up or down is a setup option. Do you have the setup orientated right? On mine where it mounts inside the hitch frame, the head mount has the straight up and down side towards the front of the TV and the angle it towards the 5er. If you can show some pictures it would help. I would be worried if I might hit the 5er with my bumper but that has to be extreme, it usually would hit the cab if too close.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 AM   #3

How close is your bumper to your 5th wheel

Thank you yes all that is good, my turn over ball/ gooseneck was installed by an truck accessory place and with the exception of the pull handle and the obvious holes in the bed was a “ bolt on” so pretty sure it is correct. The companion was installed by trl dealership I already swapped or flipped the pivot arms to go from way behind the pin to a lot closer the only other adjustment to be made is in what is the position of the drop shank from its current position of 1 or 2 too the position it’s not in. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	173007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	173008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	173009However the cab is not in danger of being hit by the trailer I suspect/know moving up that my bumper will be very close but can say with some level of certainty that it won’t hit. but was curious about the distance between properly set up truck and mine because other than my daughter I don’t think anyone will fit between the truck and trl. The only problem with my last adjustment was cord was too short

Tags
5th wheel, wheel