Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Always Learning

Our question still stands thru all of this and Dave and I tried to answer it the best we could. You have to decide if you feel the GVWR is a rule to not be exceeded (like many do) or if you're willing to solely look at the rear axle and tire ratings (like many do).

You WILL be overloaded with the camper that you've selected. Your three options are:
A) accept it
B) look at smaller trailers
C) look at bigger trucks
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Always Learning

I guess another thing- back to the truck and their mythical towing capabilities. When I got weighed back in April, I learned that me, my family, our stuff, my hitch and add-ons came up to a weight of 1,200 pounds. You've done good by getting weighed and using realistic numbers.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #23

Go to your dealer with your information on the trailer as well as the other weights you have collected and let them make the decision in writing.
FWIW if you were doing this in 1963 you would clamp the hitch on the back bumper of your '58 Olds and take off. It probably would have been a 4 wire connector too.
hold my beer and watch this.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #24

I'm in the same boat as you dude. Just bought the truck too. Probably going to trade up to a 3/4 gas as soon as I can w/out taking a beating. Good Luck w/your decision.
seabeedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
daydreaming about camping

It would seem to me the answer to your question is a toy hauler. The thing that is killing you is the 600 pound 4-wheeler in the bed of the pickup. It is eating up so much CCC that you cannot pull as much trailer. However, you could pull a much heavier trailer is you moved that 600 pounds to the trailer.

With the 4-wheeler in the bed of the truck you would max out on CCC with the tongue weight of a 5000 pound trailer. But if you moved it to a trailer that brings your ability to carry tongue weight up to almost 10,000 pounds.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #26

He could buy two trucks for what a toy-hauler would cost him!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
He could buy two trucks for what a toy-hauler would cost him!
I am not sure I understand your comment? He is already buying a new trailer. several manufactures make toy haulers in similar sizes, that are typically priced right in line with their other offerings.

I was surprised how many toy hauler options are available at the RV show, and that they typically are no more than 5% higher in price than a similar size TT.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
It would seem to me the answer to your question is a toy hauler. The thing that is killing you is the 600 pound 4-wheeler in the bed of the pickup. It is eating up so much CCC that you cannot pull as much trailer. However, you could pull a much heavier trailer is you moved that 600 pounds to the trailer.

With the 4-wheeler in the bed of the truck you would max out on CCC with the tongue weight of a 5000 pound trailer. But if you moved it to a trailer that brings your ability to carry tongue weight up to almost 10,000 pounds.
I couldn't agree more here. I think a toy hauler would solve some of your problems that is if you do want to take your wheeler with you every time. But I have a toy hauler and we have gone on a few trips with nothing and its still works great just like any other TT. Maybe look into that option.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote