Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

How do I get the hitch I want

I am new to trailers an thanks to this forum for all the advise. I have a Roo 19 coming in a few weeks and I have bought a lot of stuff like surge protectors that I did not even know that I needed!

I purchased the Roo at the camper show complete with hitch and brake controller. I have already decided on a Prodigy controller instead of the one in the deal and now I think I want an Equil-i-zer hitch instead of the one the dealer is including (Husky EZ Lift).

I will be purchasing the hitch myself and the dealer will do the install since he does not carry that brand. Will he be able to do this and have the required sockets that are needed? If I have to do the install myself, can I tow from the dealer without a WD hitch with my Trailblazer? The dry weight of the camper weight is about 3500lbs and the max tow rating of the TV is 5200lbs.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your new camper. The dealer will have no problem installing the Equal-i-zer hitch. I wouldn't advice your towing it home without a WD hitch with your Trailblazer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

We bought the Andersen hitch and our dealer refused to install it since they don't carry it. She also wouldn't let us install it on her property because of the liability. We were willing to pay for the install, I think she was just pissed we didn't buy an overpriced hitch from them. We scouted out an empty parking lot across the street from the dealer and did our install there ourselves. It worked out well and saved us 100 bucks.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Let the dealer install it if they will. But that will be installed and adjusted for an empty trailer. After you get it loaded for camping, you will need to go thru the adjustment process. Typically, TW increases, and well as tow vehicle cargo increases, both of which will require pushing more weight to the front axle, compared to the initial/empty setup.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote