Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

How expensive is this??

So, I inherited a 2008 Dodge 2500 from my dad. I am getting an error message that says Service Required. I know it has to do with the CCV and Exhaust system. Does anyone have a ball park figure as to what it is going to cost me?

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

No way to answer that question long distance with so few details. Could be something simple, or not. Take it in and a get an estimate, or get a code reader and go from there.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
No way to answer that question long distance with so few details. Could be something simple, or not. Take it in and a get an estimate, or get a code reader and go from there.

Service Required may refer to a routine maintenance item, like oil change. Look in the owners manual, and see if it is not a routine message that you can re set.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
So, I inherited a 2008 Dodge 2500 from my dad.
Sounds like you got a heck of a good deal on a possibly nice truck...

I personally would take it in to a reputable service center ( maybe a dealership even) and have them do a good look at what is required to be 100% on that Dodge with whatever miles it may have... it might be worth it for peace of mind and a long lasting vehicle...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

First things first. Look in the manual and try oil change reset. Then take it toany auto parts store and have them read the code. You could also simply take it out and drive the crud out of it for a half hour. High RPM at highway speed forcing a regen. This will work if its a Cummins diesel. If its a gas motor, again the auto parts store to read the code.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Does it say "Service Required" or "Perform Service"? Perform Service means that it needs a crankcase filter replacement and a cleaning of the EGR valve and cooler, about a $600-$700 service.

Service Required could mean many things, needs to be connected to a code reader.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
So, I inherited a 2008 Dodge 2500 from my dad. I am getting an error message that says Service Required. I know it has to do with the CCV and Exhaust system. Does anyone have a ball park figure as to what it is going to cost me?
Id take to an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's. They have code readers, can tell you precisely what codes and what they mean. They may even have the parts on hand to repair it.

Just curious, Gasser or Diesel?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Update: I took it to the local Dodge dealer and they wanted $195.00 to read the code and that it would take a couple of hours to do. I informed him that I was not stupid and knew what was involved in getting code errors. I was then informed that it was not the getting the codes but to analyze what the codes meant. Again, I am not stupid and that the codes meanings were right there in the computer. It really annoys me that because I am a woman I lack knowledge.

So anyway, I called the dealer in the next town and told him the error message I was getting and needed to know what it meant. I told him the make, model, engine maker and size. He told me right off the bat that at about 67 to 70k the Service Required message is that the CCV Filter needed to be replaced, EGR valve and cooler needed to clean. The cost = $1,200 to $1,300 to do the work. Soooo, looked on You Tube and we can do the CCV filter and Valve cleaning. We will find a non dealer mechanic and have them do the cooler cleaning. It just looked like a real PITA to do. I cannot believe the cost. Since it is an '08' the truck is out of warrant since it is older than 5 years. My dad just did not drive it all that much. He bought a smaller trailer and this truck (used) to do more traveling then just did not have it in him to travel.

Thanks for letting me know about auto parts stores to do the code readings. I did not know that.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

You need to change the crank case filter located under the valve cover on the top of the engine. Cost about $55 on Amazon and takes about 15 minutes to pull the cover and pull out the old filter and drop in the new one. The filter alarm is set to turn on at 67500 miles. Google Ram crankcase filter to get instructions for resetting the notification. I don’t remember how I reset mine but I know it wasn’t hard.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

Several weeks ago I had my Ram serviced. Oil change.

After 200 miles we got the check engine light. It could mean the gas cap is loose to lord knows how much.

We went to Autozone to read 13 codes! All EGR related. Oxygen sensors.

The dealer has a better machine they can get much more information.

We discovered that during our oil change, defect repair of a new water pump the mechanic failed to reconnect the intake between the air cleaner and the engine. Their system would have told the mechanic to check the mass flow sensor, not mentioned in the codes. And would have seen the issue. Everything in the path of downstream sensors was goofy.

That is what the $200 dealer thing gets you. The Autozone deal is worth what it costs. Some value.

We then simply ignored the codes after reconnecting the intake. After 200 miles the code went away.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #11

On my 2014 CTD 2500 I get the same" service required "when I remove the tailgate to put the truck camper on . I drove 40 miles each way so they could tell my tailgate lock was not working , duhh !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Several weeks ago I had my Ram serviced. Oil change.

After 200 miles we got the check engine light. It could mean the gas cap is loose to lord knows how much.

We went to Autozone to read 13 codes! All EGR related. Oxygen sensors.

The dealer has a better machine they can get much more information.

We discovered that during our oil change, defect repair of a new water pump the mechanic failed to reconnect the intake between the air cleaner and the engine. Their system would have told the mechanic to check the mass flow sensor, not mentioned in the codes. And would have seen the issue. Everything in the path of downstream sensors was goofy.

That is what the $200 dealer thing gets you. The Autozone deal is worth what it costs. Some value.

We then simply ignored the codes after reconnecting the intake. After 200 miles the code went away.
You could have also just pulled the Negative cable on the battery, waited 10 minutes and reconnected it. When you started the engien they would be gone.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

Service required or Perform service are the same message depending on the age of the truck. I think they changed the wording around 2012 or 13. The carbon cleaning is not mandatory but replacement of the filter is. If the filter plugs up pressure will build up in the crank case and possibly cause damage. This is a service message similar to the change oil message and not a failure code. A code reader won’t show any codes. I just changed the filter, reset the message drove on. If you have a carbon buildup just hook up your trailer and drive a couple hundred miles to blow it out.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know about auto parts stores to do the code readings. I did not know that.
They can also clear the codes. Some will, some won't, but they all have that ability.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
On my 2014 CTD 2500 I get the same" service required "when I remove the tailgate to put the truck camper on . I drove 40 miles each way so they could tell my tailgate lock was not working , duhh !

My 2011 came with a bypass plug to install when the tailgate is removed to eliminate the warnings. It was in the glove box. Sounds like you got shortchanged.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #16

Code Readers are cheap.

Quote:
Code readers are cheap, like this one or this one.

Most readers these days give you the numeric code and the text explanation. A few of the older or cheaper ones just give you the numeric, e.g., P401. Just type that number into Google and you will get the text.

If you're willing to fool around with your cellphone as the control/display, you can get a Bluetooth or WiFi OBD II reader for $5-10. (Caution: I've never been able to get a Bluetooth one to work, but the WiFi ones work fine.) This worked great for me when I happened to have a WiFi reader in the car and the truck of the guy in the next space wouldn't start. We quickly diagnosed a failed cam angle sensor, found one in the auto parts store 10 miles away, and had him going in a little over an hour.

The more expensive ones let you set commands into the system as well as reading codes, but you have to have more knowledge and difficult problems before you need that. In other words, you don't need an expensive one because you will never use the extra features.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
You could have also just pulled the Negative cable on the battery, waited 10 minutes and reconnected it. When you started the engien they would be gone.
I don't believe this is good advice for newer models as so much is stored in the computer, from radio stations to "learned driving patterns" to computerized shifting points.

I just replaced my 2014 RAM battery and took a new one to a friendly mechanic that I know. He changed it out in 10 minutes but hooked up a jumper 12 V supply to the cables to keep all that computer stuff in memory while swapping out the battery. He said the RAM would drive completely different for a couple of weeks if he had let the memory "fail" by disconnecting the battery completely besides having to reprogram the radio.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote