Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #21

If you have "C" rated tires then the maximum PSI is 50#

If you have "DF" rated tires then the maximum PSI is 65#.

All "ST" ( Special Trailer) tires are rated for a 65 MPH.

BTW, many Rockwood trailers come with "C" rated tires and Forest River will not change that. I've tried but they said to go to your dealer-.....

My theory is 60 to 63 MPH maximum and stay in the right lane...
Happy trails,

Old 07-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #22

How fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220Chap View Post
Words to live by: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Oh boy, my sentiments exactly Chap and it doesn't just apply to towing an RV.

I run between 60-65 MPH with my TT. I will go up to 70-75 if I need to pass a slower vehicle but quickly go back to 60-65. Trailer tires tell you right on the sidewall what speed they are rated for; I would think they should have a pretty good idea if they made the tire. And, yes, I have been passed by many other rigs traveling way too fast with RVs and boats. It will be spectacular at that speed when they do have an issue!

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #23

65 65 65 65 max. 63 better. St tires can't take the speed. Max out all tire pressures for max load too.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #24

60 max. I have seen rigs that have gone off the road and rolled. Very ugly. It is about control and stopping.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #25

Words to LIVE by

In addition to Chaps "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" observation, one of my favorite quotes was from Voltaire - "Common sense is not all that common." Just observe those around you to confirm.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Tire damage is cumulative and non-reversible.

Driving faster than the tire speed rating generated excess internal stress and heat. The heat accelerates the chemical reactions still going on so the tire "ages" faster than it would if it were operated at a more reasonable 55 - 60.

I am certain a number of the complaints about tires failing for "no reason" are happening because the life was consumed by hours of running at excessive speed.

Slowing down does not "fix" the damage done to the tire any more than putting burnt hot dogs get "fixed" by going back in the fridge.

For every increase in temperature of 20°F the aging rate doubles so + 20 = two times faster aging (more damage) + another 20 = two more times or four times total the amount of damage.

The above is Chemistry and Science. You can "believe" what ever you want but facts simply don't change because you don't like the answer.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Smile

60 mph is the max Sue & I do on the highway, I also think daytime driving is the safest & since we are retired, we are not in a hurry.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #28

Those are the same people that complain of "china bombs" and blowout damage, never their fault.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
My state recently raised the interstate limit to 70 mph, most traffic now drives 75-79 mph. Some 80+ mph. The RV going down a crowded interstate way below the limit creates a dangerous situation. You see plenty of crazy driving as the average speed cars and trucks drive around the moving road block. Places where the interstate is three lanes wide, you see a very slow RV in the right lane driving next to another slow RV in the middle lane. This leaves only the left lane for normal speed traffic.

Like most motorcycles, not sure why more of the huge, slow RVs don’t take secondary roads where the RV is driving closer to the speed limit and the speed of the normal traffic.

My state is also the home to all Left Lane Larrys (drivers that only drive in the left lane forcing everyone to pass in the right lane) and Jr. Jeff Gordon racers (cruise control challenged drivers that speed up as you attempt to pass and slow back down once you slide in behind them).

When you mix in a Left Lane Larry or Jr. Jeff Gordon racer around a slow moving RV, it can take miles and miles and miles to get past these drivers.
Why should I have to take secondary roads that are generally not is as good repair as 4 lane or interstate highways and usually have more hills and curves?
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #30

A couple blowouts last year on our Silverback with serious damage broke me of that crap. Now stay below 65 and cruise down the road.

67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote