Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

How fast will you tow your TT?

Sorry, I see this question has been answered many times. I don’t see a way to delete this thread.
Nogrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #2

No worries, Yea it's a subject that gets thrown around a bit, but most the topics in here have been around the loop several times..

At any rate, My tires are rated for 75 mph.. I typically run in the 63-67 MPH range.. I do hit 70 occasionally but I typically catch myself and slow down pretty quickly, so average 63-67 but have been as fast as 73 or so on accident.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #3

Thanks. I have replaced my china bombs with commercial grade trailer tires, but I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere. I know there are some that say there are nothing wrong with the china tires, but I experienced a dramatic difference in trailer handling after replacing them. Mine had only 2k miles on them when I replaced them. I hated the way they felt in tow.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
Thanks. I have replaced my china bombs with commercial grade trailer tires, but I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere. I know there are some that say there are nothing wrong with the china tires, but I experienced a dramatic difference in trailer handling after replacing them. Mine had only 2k miles on them when I replaced them. I hated the way they felt in tow.
I replaced my China bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires immediately after buying my trailer. I consider it the smart and safe thing to do. Even though they are rated up to 87 mph, I normally tow at 65 mph on the freeways.

My first experience with China bomb tires was when I towed a utility trailer from Arizona to Alaska. The right tire blew up after about 3500 miles. New trailer and the tires were properly inflated and the trailer was well under gross weight. I will never trust China bomb tires again.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I replaced my China bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires immediately after buying my trailer. I consider it the smart and safe thing to do. Even though they are rated up to 87 mph, I normally tow at 65 mph on the freeways.

My first experience with China bomb tires was when I towed a utility trailer from Arizona to Alaska. The right tire blew up after about 3500 miles. New trailer and the tires were properly inflated and the trailer was well under gross weight. I will never trust China bomb tires again.
Bought my camper in the fall, 90 mile trip home and one 25 mile round trip camping outing before I winterized it. I will be replacing mine with GY Endurance before my next trip.

As for speed, I towed it home hitting 70 because it was empty and again on my one trip when it was loaded. I wanted to see what the new to me Diesel would do it with going up and down hills. I'm usually a 67-70 MPH floater but with the new truck, once I set the cruise control, she ran at -/+1 mph from whatever I set it at the entire trip.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #6

65 or so is perfect for me, I don't have to worry about catching up to the cars ahead of me and therefore eliminate a lot of lane changes. Occasionally I do unintentionally creep up a few mph.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 AM   #7

I clocked a Raptor going south on I-29 last Saturday at 90 mph. STUPID !!!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
"On the road again"

Goodyear Endurance tires - rated for 87 mph - but, 65 is my norm. Occasionally I'll do 70 if passing someone, but otherwise as NOGREY said...I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #9

First guy to cry about "China Bomb" tires after he has a blowout and either wrecks his RV.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
I still have the china bombs, reckon I have about 1000 miles on em or so now..I plan to swap out at the end of this season. Trailer seems to tow good with em, but I'm still swapping them.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #11

My goodyear tires are rated for 85, or 87 or whatever, so I drive the speed limit.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #12
Mopar Guy

my travel trailer I tend to tow about 60-62mph that's where my dually with no overdrive is happy with it.

My open car trailer, empty 75mph usually. loaded 65-70
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have the GY Endurance tires but drive right around 62mph and get the best fuel mileage there also. Like some I'm in no hurry. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #14

What exactly are china bomb tires? I hear this a lot. My camper came with 6 lug 15" rims, not sure what the tires are. My boat has the exact same tire/rim size, and I've never had issues with tires. I'm sure the boat trailer manufacturer put the cheapest crap tires that they could on my trailer, I just replace them when they look dry rotted. I tow as many miles on the boat as I do the camper and they're about the same weight. WOnder if I'm just lucky.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Luck View Post
What exactly are china bomb tires? I hear this a lot. My camper came with 6 lug 15" rims, not sure what the tires are. My boat has the exact same tire/rim size, and I've never had issues with tires. I'm sure the boat trailer manufacturer put the cheapest crap tires that they could on my trailer, I just replace them when they look dry rotted. I tow as many miles on the boat as I do the camper and they're about the same weight. WOnder if I'm just lucky.
"China Bombs" are tires made in China that some believe will Explode if you move the trailer more than 30 feet.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
"China Bombs" are tires made in China that some believe will Explode if you move the trailer more than 30 feet.
That's all that I run on my boat, they don't last but a few years going in and out of the saltwater. I've never had one fail. I check on them, and when I see the first sign of rot, I change them. So if anyone takes off their new china bombs, keep them, I'll take them!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Luck View Post

I'll answer your question without the sarcasm. China Bomb is just a label that people have over time given to tires made in China and a few other places not known for quality products. The tires often referred to are low quality tires that the RV industry tends to be attracted to due to their low cost. The tires have to meet the US standards for safety but that isn't setting the bar real high. Usually what happens the RV manufacturer puts the minimum legal tire on the trailer and shoves it out the door. The tires in many cases (not all) are over loaded the minute the owner puts all their stuff in the trailer and hits the road, and if they're underinflated that makes the tires even more vulnerable. Then you get people who run those tires at high speeds and they have a blowout. China bomb. I had a trailer that came with Load Range C tires and they were overloaded instantly upon putting any cargo in the trailer. I weighed the trailer at a CAT scale took it home and put 5 new load E tires on it. The trailer axle weight was fine the OEM tires were not for the GVWR of the trailer.

Hope that helps.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #18
Site Team

Letting the horses run across Big Sky Montana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_082701.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	205078  
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #19

Mine are all E rated tires, I did check that. I guess that's why I've been "lucky".
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
I'll answer your question without the sarcasm. China Bomb is just a label that people have over time given to tires made in China and a few other places not known for quality products. The tires often referred to are low quality tires that the RV industry tends to be attracted to due to their low cost. The tires have to meet the US standards for safety but that isn't setting the bar real high. Usually what happens the RV manufacturer puts the minimum legal tire on the trailer and shoves it out the door. The tires in many cases (not all) are over loaded the minute the owner puts all their stuff in the trailer and hits the road, and if they're underinflated that makes the tires even more vulnerable. Then you get people who run those tires at high speeds and they have a blowout. China bomb. I had a trailer that came with Load Range C tires and they were overloaded instantly upon putting any cargo in the trailer. I weighed the trailer at a CAT scale took it home and put 5 new load E tires on it. The trailer axle weight was fine the OEM tires were not for the GVWR of the trailer.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the straight answer. This pretty much sums up what my research has shown me. Personally, I have no proof or bad experience with the chinese made tires that came on my TT, purchased new. I did not keep them very long because of the things I read about them (partly) and because the TT seemed “mushy” on them. I replaced them with the goodyear endurance tires as recommended by so many and the difference is quite noticeable.

Please note: My intentions when I started this thread were not to talk about tires. I really only wanted to see if others travelled faster than I do and if they had sound reasoning behind their decision to do so. I would not condemn anyone who runs faster, or slower, different tires etc than I do. My primary concern when on the road is getting myself and my passengers safely to our destination.

I was field service engineer for a medical systems company for 35 years servicing diagnostic imaging equipment all over the country. I drove a lot. I was also the local “Smith system” drivers trainer for 10 years. If you are unfamiliar with them, just google them. I am a firm believer in their approach to safe driving and have millions of accident-free miles behind me.

I liked what the one fellow said about driving 65 not having to worry about catching up to cars in front of him, thus fewer lane changes. I would add to that also less of a need to brake and a bigger “space cushion” (Smith system lingo).

I am also an avid motorcycle rider and put more miles on a bike every year than I do my TT. Tires, of course, are a major consideration and are inspected frequently. Speed ratings, inflation and condition are of upmost importance. This perhaps makes me a little “over the top” when it comes to tires. I would not pretend to be a tire expert (my brother owns a tire shop and is a michelin dealer, so I do have expert reference) but I will say this: If you were my best friend and your TT had “china bombs”, if you asked for my opinion on them, I would tell you that they have a poor reputation for blowouts. I would take the time to read the load rating on them, and then check that against the TT’s load specifications. I’d discuss the speed ratings as well. Ultimately, the discussion would lead to my recommendation to replace them with the Goodyear Endurance tires in an appropriate load range.

Thank you all for your valuable input. “Knowledge is power”, as they say.