Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Angry How long does a diesel have to idle after start-up

Last weekend was our first RV park experience, had a great time, but one thing bugged me. The guy in the spot next to us, whose F950 or whatever it was, parked about a foot away from the side of our trailer, would start his truck at 0700 every morning, and it would idle at least 5 minutes before he would pull out. I'm guessing he was heading to work that early, because he would be gone all day and his woman would remain in the trailer. Temp was in the low 50's outside. The thing sounded like a diesel locomotive starting up, or maybe a destroyer.

So my question is, do enormous diesel pickups like that have to idle for several minutes before you can put it in gear and slowly drive away? There was no going back to sleep after 5 minutes of that racket.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #2

Maybe he remote starts it then comes out and leaves for work. That's what I do when I'm home. Maybe ask him to point it a different direction so it's not so loud next to you. Most people are receptive when you ask nicely. If you complain without talking to him, it could get a lot worse.
Pure Luck is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #3

Once the oil pressure is up you can be on your way. Diesels do not heat up sitting at idle. If you want it to warm up you need to work it. That said I would not start it and floor it . But it can be slowly move out of the campground.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

Don't have one quite that large....2014 GMC 2500HD 6.6 I start mine by remote as I'm leaving for work and by the time I get in, put key in, put on seatbelt, adj seat, maybe a minute tops. In the winter....below 32, I'll give it a couple minutes to warm up. Supper cold....teens....I'll let it run 5 or more so the heater is starting to blow warm air when I get in.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
If you complain without talking to him, it could get a lot worse.
I'm not one of those people, lol. I like to handle things myself. But we were only there 3 nights. The spots were laid out so there was enough room for a trailer, and a tow vehicle parked parallel in each spot, do I don't think there was anyway orientation would make it less awfully loud. It was just my dumb luck to get a site next to a guy who had to leave at dawn everyday, all weekend.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #6

If is a f950 it could have airbags for suspension, maybe air brakes. If so the truck would need to run to build up air pressure before the air brakes could be released
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
If is a f950 it could have airbags for suspension, maybe air brakes. If so the truck would need to run to build up air pressure before the air brakes could be released
Good point
Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hahahaha, there really IS an F950?? I was just joking, mine is an F150, and I've seen everything up to 450's, and I figured, since this is the biggest pickup I've ever seen, dual rear wheels and all, I'll just double up the number to describe how insanely large (and loud) it is! It was every bit as loud as as a semi tractor. It even had a DOT number, so it is a work truck.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

Diesel trucks dont bother me, Most newer ones are remarkebly quiet compared to older ones. My owners manual syas to Idle for I believe 3 Minutes or something between 30 and 40 degrees, dont recall exactly.. However in cold temps I'll turn the EB on as it warms up much quicker..
Thing that gets me at campgrounds is barking dogs and loud kids at 7 am in the morning. With the truck at least you know its gone after 5 minutes.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Your lucky you only had a few days of it I have a neighbor who starts his F-350 in the morning almost every day of the week and it sits there idling for almost 30 minutes.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
Mopar Guy

ford medium duty (f650/750) is available with air brakes. but I cant imagine that's what this guy had
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Thing that gets me at campgrounds is barking dogs and loud kids at 7 am in the morning.
I got lucky with that this time. Barking dogs were intermittent and just short bursts now and then. Kids were behaved, but there were a few adult females walking dogs that seemed to have no volume control as they chatted. One had a voice so annoying, I looked at my wife and said, "I would divorce you so fast your head would spin if your voice was like that." That says a lot after being married nearly 30 years and being mostly deaf.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

Lots of oil field welders/workers are full timers to stay employed. It's a living. Occasionally I travel for work and take the RV instead of a plane. I don't let my F-350 idle, it'll never get warm that way.
2017 KTM 500EXC-F
blackseven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

I don't warm mine up very long. But if I did, you wouldn't hear it. It's quieter than your truck.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post
Once the oil pressure is up you can be on your way. Diesels do not heat up sitting at idle. If you want it to warm up you need to work it. That said I would not start it and floor it . But it can be slowly move out of the campground.
This. Doesn't matter what type of engine, don't floor it when cold and they warm up better when working. The exhaust brake helps with warmup, but doesn't help with this situation.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #16

I hate noisy diesels with a passion.

I hate it when someone pulls into a site near or next to us late in the evening when we're getting ready for bed. Then they go about setting up with the engine still running. Their kids get out and run all over and whoop & holler like it's a playground. Their engine is SO loud the parents have to shout back and forth to hear each other. On top of that, their dog is barking because of all the commotion.

Then there's the ones doing a brief over-nighter on a road trip and get up at the crack of dawn and let their engine idle for 10 - 15 minutes.

Sometimes MHs let their diesel engines idle for what seems like up to an hour and can be heard throughout a CG. Why oh why?

These folks have no manners or respect it seems. I hate noisy diesels...
Old 05-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #17

If outside noises bother you when in a close quarters campground, then you are going to be a miserable human. If you are after peace and quiet, make another choice where you stay.
Some humans try to be respectful of others, and some don't. If any vehicle is parked right outside your window (gas or diesel), you will hear it when it starts up. If they let it warm up too long for your sensitive ears, talk to them. I will let my diesel warm up for at least a minute or two before I move. And usually, the only place to park is right beside your neighbor.
But if you are only there for a few days, geesh, suck it up or move. Five minutes is not a big deal. It's your blood pressure if you let it get to you...........
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

For me, it was just an irritation waking up that way every morning, nothing to get my BP up. I was just wondering if this diesel idling was a NECESSARY start up process, or maybe the guy was being a little inconsiderate. Like I said, I'm mostly deaf (one ear destroyed in crash, the other is about 80%), so it takes A LOT of noise to bug me.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
For me, it was just an irritation waking up that way every morning, nothing to get my BP up. I was just wondering if this diesel idling was a NECESSARY start up process, or maybe the guy was being a little inconsiderate. Like I said, I'm mostly deaf (one ear destroyed in crash, the other is about 80%), so it takes A LOT of noise to bug me.

This has nothing to do with nothing but your avatar cracks me up every time I look at it. For some reason it looks like a wannabe trailer mafia boss telling a 7 year old he will find a dead gold fish in his bed if he does not straighten up and fly right.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #20

2014 GMC 6.6 Duramax....pretty darn quiet.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
diesel