Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Also keep in mind the truck stickers are probably listed with P load range tires. Putting LT LR D or E tires on it changes everything.
Um, no. The ratings are the ratings regardless of the tires. Now ride, towing comfort, road manners, weight, those will all change. But the ratings for the truck (GVWR, payload, curb weight) all stay the same regardless of tires.

Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #182

Curb weight will change when you install heavier tires. Therefore payload number will change. GVWR number won't change. At least the sticker won't. Real world GVWR can be debated.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #183
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Real world GVWR can be debated.

Can and is, with both sides positive they're absolutely right and the other is wrong. Never will the two meet. (Ok, rarely- I have seen the light of both sides. Including both sides making gross over statements that make me shake my head.)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #184
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Curb weight will change when you install heavier tires. Therefore payload number will change. GVWR number won't change. At least the sticker won't. Real world GVWR can be debated.
Curb wt will change, that is correct, but the payload will not. The tires and wheels are "unsprung" weight and are not part of the payload as they have no influence on the springs/suspension.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Curb wt will change, that is correct, but the payload will not. The tires and wheels are "unsprung" weight and are not part of the payload as they have no influence on the springs/suspension.
Assuming the tires will be heavier, they will infact change "legal" payload. Payload = GVWR - Curb Weight. Right or wrong, it is the "legal" use of the term by the auto manufacturers.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #186
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post
Assuming the tires will be heavier, they will infact change "legal" payload. Payload = GVWR - Curb Weight. Right or wrong, it is the "legal" use of the term by the auto manufacturers.
Only if you put them in the bed of the truck instead of on the ground.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/payload
pay·load noun \ˈpā-ˌlōd\
: the amount of goods or material that is carried by a vehicle (such as a truck)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #187

Quote:

I know what your saying but I wouldn't give that a second thought.....going from an d rated to e rated isn't going to effect the trucks capacity but will effect the ride a little when air'd to 80 psi but if you can't stand that you won't be able to stand a camper or trailer hooked to the truck either lol no if you go larger od ( taller and wider ) then ya that will have an effect in gearing. payload is weight above the axle in the truck so no there but if the added weight of e as opposed to d's then the truck wasn't up to the task in the first place.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #188

Quote:
This is correct. If I have a sticker payload capacity of 1500 lbs. and install 1500lbs of tires (bit extreme to make the point) I no longer have any payload capacity. I haven't changed the "sprung" weight, but I still have to stop and accelerate with the 1500lbs. of tires.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #189
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
This is correct. If I have a sticker payload capacity of 1500 lbs. and install 1500lbs of tires (bit extreme to make the point) I no longer have any payload capacity. I haven't changed the "sprung" weight, but I still have to stop and accelerate with the 1500lbs. of tires.
I guess that is my understanding, as well:
Payload = GVWR - (actual truck weight)

With weighing the truck, ready to go- take the GVWR minus the actual weight and you're left with your available payload (per "lawyer stickers", yeah, yeah ).

I don't disagree that you'll have a better experience on better tires for the task at hand.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #190
Mod free 5er

Quote:
As explained before, Payload is that weight that is on the suspension. Tires wheels, axles, etc have absolutely NOTHING to do with actual Payload. GVW, yes, but Payload, NO!

Sprint cars even mount shocks upside down to get rid of the sprung wt.(Payload) Doesn't reduce the vehicle wt, just the sprung wt.