Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Brigitte

How many of us towing 5W with 1/2 Ton?

there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
Which TT and TT?
Positive or negative experience with combo unit?
Future plans?
No need to Re-ash the talk about 3/4 and 1 ton requirement.... Looking for the other side of the coin.
Brigitte
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou
there 's a lot of talk on forums about towing 5th wheel With half-ton trucks but it's all over the place. I'm sure I'm Not the only one looking for answers so I thought I'd Start a thread so that we could compare our experiences with such combos.
Which TT and TT?
Future plans?
No need to Re-ash the talk about 3/4 and 1 ton requirement.... Looking for the other side of the coin.
Brigitte
My best friends pull a flagstaff classic ultralite 5er with there 08 ford f150 super crew short bed 8528 bhss I believe. No issues. Other than the dreaded chucking.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

My best friends pull a flagstaff classic ultralite 5er with there 08 ford f150 super crew short bed 8528 bhss I believe. No issues. Other than the dreaded chucking.
What's the chucking caused by an how does it get fixed?
Also, I understand about pin weight on TT is fixed but how does pin weight work on 5th wheel? Can that be changed by moving cargo to the back of
The unit and how much of that pin weigh gets (little as it may be) transferred to front axle?
Picking up Jayco Eagle Superlite HT(half ton towable) 23.5 tomorrow and will report on it on this specific thread.
Timbrens
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou

What's the chucking caused by an how does it get fixed?
Also, I understand about pin weight on TT is fixed but how does pin weight work on 5th wheel? Can that be changed by moving cargo to the back of
The unit and how much of that pin weigh gets (little as it may be) transferred to front axle?
Picking up Jayco Eagle Superlite HT(half ton towable) 23.5 tomorrow and will report on it on this specific thread.
Chucking imo is caused by light variable rate springs in todays trucks.
Air bags all but eliminate it.
Pin weight can somewhat be reduced by moving weight to the rear or behind axles.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Chucking imo is caused by light variable rate springs in todays trucks.
Air bags all but eliminate it.
Pin weight can somewhat be reduced by moving weight to the rear or behind axles.
Airbags work better than timbrens? Can we get airbag that inflate from inside truck pushing a button? (go ahead, laugh lol)?
What about the Gawr? I don't know what it's really going to be at until I weigh in but what if it's 200 lbs or so over?
Timbrens
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I can't comment on timbrens. I do in fact know air bags work!
Yes you can buy an onboard compressor and controls for in cab. To allow bags to be inflated or deflated on the fly.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

Brigitte,my previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC,4x4,SLT with 3:55's,CAI,and a Superchips tuner.Last trailer I towed with her was a 30ft TT. Even though she had the grunt to move her along fairly well,and when it downshifted to 3rd to make those 6-8% grades,and was screaming her lungs out,it still seemed like it could handle it fine.However (and this is just my opinion)I remember a line from a movie were the guy said,"Just because you could doesn't mean you should".It really does apply to a lot of things.After a few white knuckle experiences of the trailer doing the wagging thing,I decided that perhaps in this instance something a little bigger,which translates most times into something more capable of handling bigger loads was in order.Again just one old guy's .02

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader
Brigitte,my previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500,4x4,SLT with 3:55's,CAI,and a Superchips tuner.Last trailer I towed with her was a 30ft TT. Even though she had the grunt to move her along fairly well,and when it downshifted to 3rd to make those 6-8% grades,and was screaming her lungs out,it still seemed like it could handle it fine.However (and this is just my opinion)I remember a line from a movie were the guy said,
I'm on the edge of my seat what was the line?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

I use to tow a 7,800# dry (10,000# loaded) 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck (2002 GMC King Cab with 2007 Wildcat 29RLBS). I Pull with this combo for over two years. The only down side I ever had was panic stopping. I changed my brake controller and eliminated 98% of my stopping issues. I did have two extra leafs added to the springs when I had the hitch installed in the bed. I would imagine I was equivalent to a 3/4 ton with the springs. Truck rode and handled OK, but when I upgraded to the Ford diesel, it was night and day difference. Now that I have crossed over, I would never go back to a 1/2 ton.

Having done it, I know it can be done... I never felt unsafe, but having used both I would not recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Which TT and TT?
Future plans?
Brigitte
I am towing a 12 Flagstaff 8528 with an 05 Silverado Ext. Cab 1500 short bed with airbags & onboard compressor. Supposedly I am grossly over weight, but have towed it over 1500 miles so far and have no problems whatsoever either pulling it or stopping it. Have added shocks to the trailer and have not experienced the chucking or dophining/porpoising. The trailer follows the contour of the road and neither exaggerates or continues the action after crossing that section of wavy road. We are very pleased with the whole rig. It may wear the truck out prematurely, but at our age, we will either rebuild it or hang it up permanently and sell what's left.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
What about the Gawr? I don't know what it's really going to be at until I weigh in but what if it's 200 lbs or so over?
A little late to be asking this now!

You should have weighed the truck, ready to camp, gassed, everyone on board. Add 200 pounds for the hitch and then you'd have known what pin weight you can carry without exceeding the RAWR.

The risk may be getting weighed if overweight is suspected. I'm not sure what the consequences may be if you're found to be over the TV's RAWR...it may be parked until corrected.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

You should have weighed the truck, ready to camp, gassed, everyone on board. Add 200 pounds for the hitch and then you'd have known what pin weight you can carry without exceeding the RAWR.

The risk may be getting weighed if overweight is suspected. I'm not sure what the consequences may be if you're found to be over the TV's RAWR...it may be parked until corrected.

Dave
Are campers required to be weighed in Canada? Never heard of a state requiring it here in the US. Could be wrong tho'.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Are campers required to be weighed in Canada? Never heard of a state requiring it here in the US. Could be wrong tho'.
Weighing is not a requirement in Canada...as I said they can pull you in and weigh your set-up if they suspect that you're overloaded. We never were checked the 2 years that we towed our camper in the signature with a '05 Ram 1500...wasn't over the RAWR though either.

I did get pulled over and checked when towing my racecar trailer for lights, chains, brakes etc. I know they also weighed a lot of racecar trailers looking for overweight..part of a safety blitz.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
jdadoug

Half ton 5R

Hi, I'm pulling a 28' Cardinal with my 2010 F-150 Super Cab with a 5.4 and trailer tow package, 315 gears (which get me good gas milage) but doesnt help with the pulling. I put the fifth wheel plate in myself and wished I had put in a slider. Truck pulls it pretty good, but what I allways tell everybody that ask? "Looks like you need a bigger truck?"
I only gotta pull it 30 miles to the lake!!!! (literally)
And outside of a short trip somewhere in Ks. I doubt I'll ever pull it to the moutains, and its also fairly flat here in KS.
Yes I get some chuckling, and yes I think I want to put some airbags on. When I drop the trailer down it lowers the truck about 1 1/2 inches. I'm satisfied with what I have, a 3/4 ton would have the same motor, just a little more springs! I probbly need to get it weighed, and also could get rid of the stuff in the basement........ but thats what I like about it the most! jdadoug
jdadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Weighing is not a requirement in Canada...as I said they can pull you in and weigh your set-up if they suspect that you're overloaded. We never were checked the 2 years that we towed our camper in the signature with a '05 Ram 1500...wasn't over the RAWR though either.

I did get pulled over and checked when towing my racecar trailer for lights, chains, brakes etc. I know they also weighed a lot of racecar trailers looking for overweight..part of a safety blitz.

Dave
I also know of cases where campers with large trailers have been pulled over when entering Canada at the border for weight inspection. The OP is from Kingston, so I imagine camping in the US is likely.

It's also common for the OPP to set up trailer inspections on HWY 400 at the rest stops, especially on long weekends. They check for any unsafe towing condition, usually brakes, lights, chains. If they suspect you're grossly over your limits they're going to pull you off the road.

But you don't even need a 1/2 ton, my old neighbor pulled a 5th wheel with his Dakota. No Comment.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica

Dave
According to previous weigh in, I have 1300 lbs loaded /With ppl and gear left over for hitch. Dealer (and brochure) told me hitch weight on 5w is 1149lbs. So I asked and was told ti load in the back of the rig and no weight would be added up front. I'm just nervous because I don't know for sure what the weigh in will be. All speculation until I get to the scales.
Another question is: I love coming i this forum for help and info, you are all very helpful but i wonder how many people just go out and purchase a TT or 5W and only listens/trust the salesman? I doubt that most RVers out there on the road weigh in their RV or even have a
Clue what the numbers should be.
Timbrens
Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #17
Site Team

if you choose to tow something with a marginal tow vehicle, then it's very important to have things weighed.

i didn't want to deal with this, so i bought a truck/trailer combo that i wouldn't have to, because i wasn't towing with a marginal vehicle. i have over a ton of extra towing capacity and plenty of extra payload. i don't have to worry about every pound of water or cargo. i simply load what i want and go.

bottom line, unless you have a F-150 Ecoboost with the HD payload and max Tow Package, then any other 1/2 ton truck will be a marginal tow vehicle for a 5th wheel, mainly in the payload/pin weight department.
therefore, weighing will help figuring out how marginal the truck is.

when we move up to a 5th wheel, you can bet i won't be towing with a 1/2 ton because i refuse to have to worry about all the weights i'd have to consider.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I am towing a 12 Flagstaff 8528 with an 05 Silverado Ext. Cab 1500 short bed with airbags & onboard compressor. Supposedly I am grossly over weight, but have towed it over 1500 miles so far and have no problems whatsoever either pulling it or stopping it. Have added shocks to the trailer and have not experienced the chucking or dophining/porpoising. The trailer follows the contour of the road and neither exaggerates or continues the action after crossing that section of wavy road. We are very pleased with the whole rig. It may wear the truck out prematurely, but at our age, we will either rebuild it or hang it up permanently and sell what's left.
Have you weighed your trailer AND which engine do you have???
Very curious as my wife is pushing for a larger trailer and I believe a 5er is
in our future!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19

In the late nineties myself and three of my friends all bought fifth wheels ranging from 28-30' and pulled them with our extended cab short bed half tons. There were two Chevys a Ford and a GMC and all had V8's. No one had any problems and we traveled the Colorado Rockies and The New Mexico Rockies including the 12,000 ft passes. Also a trip to Big Bend National Park.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #20

Here is where the buck stops. If you get into an accident and they do an investigation and you come up as overweight, you could be in trouble.

Here is a research paper from a legislative fellow for some of the Northeast states.

CRIMINAL PENALTIES FOR OVERWEIGHT TRUCKS

If there is another person involved in the accident, and they have a good lawyer, or know that you might be overweight, I would bet that will come to light. Like it has been said, sure you can do it, but should you?
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote