Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

How much 5th wheel wt should I be able to tow

Have 2014 Chevy 2500HD, 4.10 gear, 6.0 gas, crew cab, 6.5 ft bed, 2wd, has brake controller in cab. Tow chart says 14200#. What empty weight 5th wheel should I target. I know I don't want to max out truck. May be going West up and down mountains to get to arizona or cal. I am currently leaning toward Silverback 33RL sticker on the door says 11087# dry wt.

Also what hitch should I be looking at, 15k, 16k, slider, brand, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell, I am first time rv buyer.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

well as a prior 6.0 owner i would look at the lightest. You will be ok on the flats but hit the hills and the eng will be sitting at 4-5k RPM to make the climb unless you don't mind dropping all your speed. As for the hitch 16k because you cant load over this rating, the 3/4 ton trucks run out of cargo capacity fast. I have a auto slider (superglide) but did not need it with my 5er cap but peace of mind is worth it..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Would limit advertised dry pin weight to 1200#-1400#.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping

I'm also a former GM while ago a new supermarket opened in Ajax, Ontario.

It has an automatic water mister to keep the produce fresh.

Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of distant thunder and the smell of fresh rain.

When you pass the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and there is the scent of freshly mowed hay.

In the meat department there is the aroma of charcoal grilled steaks with onions..

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens clucking and cackling, and the

air is filled with the pleasing aroma of bacon and eggs frying.

The bread department features the tantalizing smell of fresh baked bread and cookies.

I don't buy toilet paper there anymore 6.0 gas puller, towed a 9500lb TT, it was fine on the flats but hated climbing any hills or moderate mountain passes...the 6.0 gasser just doesn't have any power compared to the older GM 8.1 or new 6.2 gassers...so as JB stated, I'd stay light unless you're staying on flat roads most of the time.

Enjoy the camper search

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Excuse my last posting...I somehow pegged in an old joke thread in my reply...just read the bottom half....LOL!!!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
Old 07-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Incheon, S. Korea

First, you need to look at GVWR, not dry weight. That would be 14,700
Second, you have to consider your payload on the truck. Max 3,670
Third, you need to find out the max RAWR (rear axle weight rating)
Fourth, you have to consider your GCWR (trailer and truck) 20,500

Your pin weight will reduce the payload by the same amount, but the dry pin weight is not the same as the gross pin, so don't be fooled.

The Silverback is right at the limit. You won't have fun going up hills, but it'll work.

Search the forum for hitch threads. There are so many to choose from!

-edit-
As I was typing everyone chimed in! Coot's advice is right on the money, especially if you want to go up any hills.

Have fun learning!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Excuse my last posting...I somehow pegged in an old joke thread in my reply...just read the bottom half....LOL!!!
There is an "Edit" button.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Site Team

You really need to weigh the truck with occupants pets and gear that will be in it when towing. Subtract this weight from your gcwr (20,500lbs according to chevy.com) to get your adjusted towing capacity. Subtract the scaled weight weight from your gvwr (9500 lbs) to get your available payload (this will be your limiting factor). Subtract your rear axle weight progress RAWR (6200 lbs) to get how much room available on your axle.

Now you will not be towing a dry/unloaded trailer around. One will you likely max out most 5ers. I would expect approximately 1500 lbs cargo weight added based upon averages (you could do more or less). You also need to figure 20-25% pin weight of loaded weight. I think the 5er you are looking at will be a bit much for that truck in the mountains. I know when I was truck shopping and trailer shopping, I had one rv dealership mention to me that I probably wouldn't be happy towing that kind of weight with the 6.0 as it would struggle in the mountains. We were on the fence for a diesel and really wanted that 5er so we went diesel. I get my first tow with the 5er next weekend.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel