Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Are you bullet proofed?
No, I am not. I guess I should consider myself lucky, but when you run the numbers, I'm in the majority. Only about 12% of the International 6.0 motors had issues. Of course, you hear more from the 12% than the rest of us 88%. I bought my 2006 F-350 truck with 10k on it and last trip coming back from Goshen International Rally, I flipped 205k. I get 17 mpg going back and forth to work and 13.5-14 mpg pulling my 15,000 lb 5er. With the 4.30 rear end and dual rear wheels, it has a GCWR of 26,000lbs. The 6.0 motor has more power than I need as I use cruise to keep it under 65-70mph. Only used tow/haul a couple of times in the mountains.
Like I said, it's been great for us and no issues other than normal wear and tear.
Happy camping!!
__________________

__________________
Gregg & Denise
2006 F-350 CC LB 6.0 Diesel 4x4 DRW
2014 Heritage Glen 366bh
2015 Camping---"162 Nights"
2016--Moved in camper 11/2015 while
getting ready to sell sticks-N-bricks
PIGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
dea49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN View Post
No, I am not. I guess I should consider myself lucky, but when you run the numbers, I'm in the majority. Only about 12% of the International 6.0 motors had issues. Of course, you hear more from the 12% than the rest of us 88%. I bought my 2006 F-350 truck with 10k on it and last trip coming back from Goshen International Rally, I flipped 205k. I get 17 mpg going back and forth to work and 13.5-14 mpg pulling my 15,000 lb 5er. With the 4.30 rear end and dual rear wheels, it has a GCWR of 26,000lbs. The 6.0 motor has more power than I need as I use cruise to keep it under 65-70mph. Only used tow/haul a couple of times in the mountains.
Like I said, it's been great for us and no issues other than normal wear and tear.
Happy camping!!
Sounds great, I thought I might have been in that 88% but wasn't willing to take the chance after some evidence popped up. I do get virtually the same fuel mileage at those speeds.

I purchased mine 2 years ago with 72K and had just turned 90K with two EGR valve replacements. I tested it and found out that I had a constant 10 degree difference between EOT and ECT so I elected to do a partial Bullet proof. (redesigned EGR and oil coolers) Now both temps are almost always identical.

Take care.
__________________

__________________
dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 13
Thumbs up DEF Use

We can get to zero DEF if we could de-fund the EPA!! I am at under 1 gal per 1000 miles in a 2016 F250. Be sure to set your DEF calculations on the dash to Tow or Normal as needed.
__________________
QC Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Hutch333id's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cochrane, AB
Posts: 626
I took our 2016 F350 Dually Lariat for its first oil change at 8000 kms in early July. I'd just placed 2.5 gallons of DEF in to the tank a couple of weeks earlier while towing a 40' full profile 5er. The dealer allegedly filled it up again at the oil change but while I was recently towing through Washington and Oregon I had to out in another 2.5 gallons and when I returned home it took another gallon. So far the total milage for the truck is just under 13,000kms. About half of this has been towing.

Fuel seems to come out at 11mpg (21l/100km) towing and 15mpg (15l/100km) urban/hwy mixed.
__________________


Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
Global Nomad
 
Scheinin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: In my 36CKTS 5th Wheel
Posts: 118
I have a 2015 RAM 3500 dually. The DEF tank holds 5 gallons. I fill it when it gets to 1/2 on the DEF gauge. I use 2.5 gallon Walmart. I get 1200-1300 miles per 2.5 gallons.
__________________
Steven J. Scheinin
2015 RAM 3500 4X4
6.7L CTD Dually pulling a
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS


Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #36
Member
 
friendofacatahoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 69
It's actually a 5.7 gallon tank and will read full on the gauge when about 90% full. So it's possible to use %10 without the gauge ever moving off full.

But yes 2.5 gallons is roughly half.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 MiniLite 2109S
2016 Ram 3500 6.7
friendofacatahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:33 AM   #37
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Zero DEF!

2006 F350 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN View Post
X2
X3. And I'm an 88%er!
__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
dea49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Torpedo View Post
We can get to zero DEF if we could de-fund the EPA!! I am at under 1 gal per 1000 miles in a 2016 F250. Be sure to set your DEF calculations on the dash to Tow or Normal as needed.
I agree! The EPA should be only an advisory organization for Congress and they should make laws using that information.

Case in point...

My Grand Cherokee gets around 28 mpg with all the emission control. In Australia they get around 50 mpg without it. What is better, save 10% on emissions per gallon or double the mileage per gallon and use 50% less fossil fuels overall? They have these tree huggers bamboozled!
__________________
dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #39
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
I agree! The EPA should be only an advisory organization for Congress and they should make laws using that information.

Case in point...

My Grand Cherokee gets around 28 mpg with all the emission control. In Australia they get around 50 mpg without it. What is better, save 10% on emissions per gallon or double the mileage per gallon and use 50% less fossil fuels overall? They have these tree huggers bamboozled!
Give you better fuel mileage so it cuts into the oil companies sales?
Emissions and economics is a fine balance, with the scale tipping towards oil companies.
There are other factors in that equation too. Fuel quality and rating is one. PCM flash is another.
__________________

__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.