Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #1

How Much Difference

I am a little nervous when towing so the shorter and lighter the trailer the better. I currently pull a 33ft. 6500lb dry weight Salem. I looked at a new 29'7" Rockwood Ultra Light that was 3ft. shorter and 900 lbs. lighter. I'm towing with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4, 5.7 liter 6 speed auto Am I going to notice a big difference or should I just save my money.
CUthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I used to tow a Rockwood 2306 (25ft length I think) with my 1500 5.3. I now have a Greywolf 26DBH at 30 or so feet. I think the heavier Greywolf tows better as far a handling is concerned. As far as MPG and such, it is the same and the truck pulls the trailer about the same power wise.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUthere View Post
I am a little nervous when towing so the shorter and lighter the trailer the better. I currently pull a 33ft. 6500lb dry weight Salem. I looked at a new 29'7" Rockwood Ultra Light that was 3ft. shorter and 900 lbs. lighter. I'm towing with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4, 5.7 liter 6 speed auto Am I going to notice a big difference or should I just save my money.
I think I would save the money, I don't think that there is that much difference. You probably get the same MPG. Being 3' shorter I don't think you would also notice the diff. except when you your inside. If your TV is doing okay, I say keep it. You will probably take a pretty big hit if you trade it in for one. Dealers love to rip you off. If you can sell it yourself you would be better off. If your heart is set on it I would list it and see what kinda of responds you would get, If you can break kinda even that's the only way I would do it.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #4

I doubt you will notice that much difference unless the trailer is configured very differently ( axle placement, weight distribution etc.) If you are trading to go a couple feet shorter you are wasting your $ but if it is a better floor plan that you think will work better that's different. Just my opinion you would need to drop below 26 feet & drop over 2000 lbs to notice a big difference.

Dry weight is a confusing number, it is empty weight & that weight one time when it is coming from the factory & sitting on the dealer lot.... it weighs much more any time after it comes home. You should go to the scales & weigh your set up loaded ready to camp.

Over the years we went from a 22 foot to a 23 foot, to a 25 foot towing (pulling) wise not great differences but now we have a 36 foot it was a much larger difference.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote