Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Papi

How much for Air Ride Hitch

I have read that it is possible to add the air ride type hitch on my recently purchased Cedar Creek 36CKTS fifth. Ballpark...what would the extra cost be and what can I expect compared to the hitch without it? BTW, exactly what is it and how does it work? Thanks.

Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you talking about air ride or rubber isolated pin boxes as there's also air ride 5th wheel hitches.

For pinboxes, there's TrailAir... Pin Boxes

MOR/ryde... MOR/ryde Products

5th Airbourne... http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...300&catID=7340 &part=0

I've thought about changing out the pinbox for a MOR/ryde or TrailAir Roto Flex. I believe the cost of these pinboxes is around $600. We've had some incidents of 'chucking' on a few interstates but not enough that I'd justify that cost.

If I were to purchase a new 5W, I'd look at ordering it with an upgraded pinbox though. The increased cost would be more in the $400 range.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Papi

Thank you D &M

So the air ride damps vibrations between the pin and saddle? I think that's what I'm getting. If it's only a dampner $600 seems a little steep...I have to agree.
BTW, please define chucking. I've seen it mentioned several times, even a couple of poorly worded definitions but still am not quite sure of exactly what it is. (The movement of pin/saddle area...bouncing & sliding just a tiny bit?). Thanks...you seem to know your stuff! I appreciate it. B
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

I'm new to fifth wheels myself and don't know the proper definition of chucking so I'd be interested in hearing also. On a side note, my new Columbus came with the air ride roto flex pin box. All it is, is a rubber bushing built into the hitch as opposed to the more expensive air bag system. Now I've also got the Reese R16 hitch which is better than the standard one, but with these two combined I'm highly impressed on how it towed on south Louisiana and Mississippi roads which are notoriously bumpy.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

"Chucking", "bucking" is surely hard to describe .
When your camper and truck get out of sync during rough road conditions the movement up and down and back and forth of your tv doesn't coincide with the 5er and what you get is a bucking type motion while your sitting in the seat of your tv.
Air bags on my tv all but eliminated this on mine.
Your results may vary.
Best I can describe it.

Turbs
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Chucking is that forward/backward surging motion that you can get when towing on concrete highways. Lots of theories of causes...poured section not level, wear over time, distance between camper/truck axles, truck rear suspension, phases of the moon. Anytime that I've had it occur and was able to switch into the left lane, the chucking was gone, so I have no doubt that the biggest factor is the road surface itself. We had a 2300 mile trip to AR and back last year and only experienced chucking on a 15 mile long section of I69 in MI, north and southbound.

Based on that kind of frequency, I'm not planning on throwing much money at a fix. If I was ordering a new camper, I'd go for the optional pinbox over the std as many offer the MOR/Ryde or RotoFlex as extra. That way I'd only be paying for it as a discounted price along with the camper.

The pin boxes I mentioned (there are others) isolate the camper from the kingpin by rubber or air bag mounting and are thought to absorb that forward/backward surging. Reports that I've read say that it greatly reduces but doesn't completely eliminate chucking.

There are also air mounted 5W hitches such as Trailer Saver ( link Trailer Hitches – Air Ride Trailer Hitch & Fifth Wheel Hitch ) that isolate the truck from the hitch plate and is thought to absorb the vertical motion from bumps. I've read that the combination of the isolating pin box and isolating hitch are the cat's ***** in towing. The total cost is too rich for me.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #7

i have been looking into an air ride pin box myself and the tri glide in particular and have been trying to find some real reviews myself. I have a toyhauler fifth wheel and on certain roads it gets to chucking real bad and it varies from lane to lane and stretch of road but i will say this, the roads in oklahoma are horrible for this or atleast the ones i travel to get to the park! once you hit the kansas oklahoma state line it's like a line drawn in the sand and hold on tight!! lol I can say when I first experiance this after picking up my 2011 295 wolf pack new we stopped and dropped the tire pressure down from 80 psi to 60 psi and this removed about 50% of the problem which tells me this unit needs shock absobers which they should all come standard with. I found a company that offers a kit to add them so I bought a set but haven't had time to add them yet since we're in the middle of winter here. I am hoping between the shocks and an air ride pin box I don't wind up with the lippert frame failure I have read so much about in other posts primarily with toyhaulers.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
i have been looking into an air ride pin box myself and the tri glide in particular and have been trying to find some real reviews myself. I have a toyhauler fifth wheel and on certain roads it gets to chucking real bad and it varies from lane to lane and stretch of road but i will say this, the roads in oklahoma are horrible for this or atleast the ones i travel to get to the park! once you hit the kansas oklahoma state line it's like a line drawn in the sand and hold on tight!! lol I can say when I first experiance this after picking up my 2011 295 wolf pack new we stopped and dropped the tire pressure down from 80 psi to 60 psi and this removed about 50% of the problem which tells me this unit needs shock absobers which they should all come standard with. I found a company that offers a kit to add them so I bought a set but haven't had time to add them yet since we're in the middle of winter here. I am hoping between the shocks and an air ride pin box I don't wind up with the lippert frame failure I have read so much about in other posts primarily with toyhaulers.
How heavy of a pin weight to you have, is it worse loaded or unloaded. I have heard the tri-glides to not work well on heavy toy haulers.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

i don't know the pin weight exactly but the uvw is 8200lbs. it's a wolf pack 295 wp . unloaded is worse and the newer dually helps. i still experience it loaded to a small degree and the newer dually 99 f350 quad cab long box doesn't have air bags like my last f250 did. any recommendations?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Owner/Operator

I went on the Lippert site and looked at their Air Ride Pin Box. When I went to the "Applications" document, I did not see the Reese Revelution hitch listed.

RodeoGeorge