Old 08-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

How much trailer can i tow comfortably with '14 Tundra 5.7L pickup.

Hi guys, recently upgraded to a '14 Tundra, sr5 double cab, 5.7L, 4x4, off road, for towing my 3,000lb, '14 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 185rb travel trailer.

Haven't towed it yet, but, I suspect this truck will pull this trailer with ease.........BUT, was thinking of upgrading the trailer to something a bit bigger........(can't even take a shower in the tiny shower-tub, fridge too small, etc) I snowbird alone from Mass. to Florida for two or three months in the winter and want to feel l can drive the long ride there and back each year comfortably........

My question is.........for highway driving, what would a very comfortable weight limit be in the new trailers I consider ?

I realize the truck will tow like 10,000 lbs, but, I am looking for a smooth ride on the major highways at 60-65mph, not 55 where u get honked at and run off the road.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

I use to own a tundra and loved it. I traded it in because of the cargo carrying capicity. I think mine was just under 1400 lbs.

With that in mind the limitations on your truck is the CCC and not the total weight of your trailer. I towed a 34 foot 8000 lbs travel trailer with around 900 pond of tongue weight. Although the truck had no problem with power I felt the trailer was pushing the truck around a little more then I liked.

Before that trailer I towed a 29 foot travel trailer that had about 700 pounds of tongue weight and felt the truck handled the weight much better.

If I were to do it over again with a half ton truck I would keep the trailer under 30 feet and the tongues weight in the 600 - 700 pound range.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto4 View Post
I use to own a tundra and loved it. I traded it in because of the cargo carrying capicity. I think mine was just under 1400 lbs.

With that in mind the limitations on your truck is the CCC and not the total weight of your trailer. I towed a 34 foot 8000 lbs travel trailer with around 900 pond of tongue weight. Although the truck had no problem with power I felt the trailer was pushing the truck around a little more then I liked.

Before that trailer I towed a 29 foot travel trailer that had about 700 pounds of tongue weight and felt the truck handled the weight much better.

If I were to do it over again with a half ton truck I would keep the trailer under 30 feet and the tongues weight in the 600 - 700 pound range.
Thanks, i travel alone, don't need a huge trailer with bunks and couches etc.........i was thinking 23-27', and keeping the dry wt under 6000.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Team

As you seem to be figuring out, you need to know more about your trucks capabilities than just my truck can tow x lbs. (I learned this the hard way). Most TV are limited by their payload. To find out your TVs true towing capacities then you need to go weigh it. Load the tv up with all occupants, pets, and cargo that will be in it when towing plus a full tank of fuel and then go weigh it at a local scale (CAT Scale). Weigh each axle on a separate scale pad so it will give you a breakdown of front and rear axle weights individually and a total weight. Take the total weight and subtract it from your Trucks gvwr to get your available payload. Take the scaled Truck weight and subtract it from your Truck gcwr to get your adjusted towng capacity. Not owning the truck, you can look at the sticker inside the drivers door. It should say "occupants and cargo not to exceed x lbs". take the weight and subtract the weight of you, any passengers and pets plus any gear you plan to have in the truck when towing. The number left is a rough estimate of your available payload. You need a loaded tongue weight less than this number.

Now understand you will never tow an unloaded or dry trailer. Those numbers are somewhat irrelevant. You can either add the amount of weight of cargo you will tow to the dry weight (this is heavier than you think as most add 1000-1500 lb of gear) or simply use the tt gvwr to do your calculations. (for your purposes do all weight calculations using TT gvwr). Next understand that the tt loaded tongue weight needs to be subtracted from your available payload. The loaded tongue weight is typically 13-15% of the loaded tt weight. The dry tongue weight doesn't even include propane or battery. Also anything placed in the trailer in front of the axles will add to your tongue weight. For your purposes 13-15% of the TT gvwr will be an easier calculation to figure out.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #5

How much trailer can i tow comfortably with '14 Tundra 5.7L pickup.

Don't worry they will be recommending a f-350 or larger pretty soon.

I tow about 8,000 pounds as well with about 1,100 pound tongue. Heavy yes, ideal no. Safe for me yes. When someone else starts paying the car payment I'll trade in. Until then the tundra stays for a while...

With the weights you are talking about you shouldn't have a problem at all. Be cognizant of your hitch weight, weight distribution, hitch setup, etc and you are fine in my book.

Sent from my iPad 6 using Forest River Forums
Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Don't worry they will be recommending a f-350 or larger pretty soon.

I tow about 8,000 pounds as well with about 1,100 pound tongue. Heavy yes, ideal no. Safe for me yes. When someone else starts paying the car payment I'll trade in. Until then the tundra stays for a while...

With the weights you are talking about you shouldn't have a problem at all. Be cognizant of your hitch weight, weight distribution, hitch setup, etc and you are fine in my book.

No I think the tundra is a very capable 1/2 ton for what he wants to do. I do think he needs to be well educated on how to properly figure out what weight is safe for him.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

Thanks for all the informative replies guys.......I am reading and re-reading and learning !
Old 08-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Thanks for all the informative replies guys.......I am reading and re-reading and learning !
FYI http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicle-sizing.shtml

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Site Team

2008 Tundra Limited. 2010 Wildcat dry weight 8700#. 2013 Rockwood dry weight 7700#. Pin weights @1400 & 1200.
Speed was never an issue. Power was never an issue.
Load in the bed of the truck (pin weight) IS the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408325005506.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	60800   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408325144647.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	60801  
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
No I think the tundra is a very capable 1/2 ton for what he wants to do. I do think he needs to be well educated on how to properly figure out what weight is safe for him.

You're good, I wasn't replying because of your comment

Tags
trailer, tundra