Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

How Much TV Rear Drop Due To Trailer Is Acceptable?

I have a 17 foot Clipper with a tongue weight of 450 lbs. When I attach it to my Yukon the front raises 0.5 inches and the rear drops 1.5 inches. Is that enough to warrant a weight distribution hitch and anti sway equipment?
jamoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Your Tahoe's owners manual gives you info as to how much tongue weight requires a WDH.
I own an Avalanche, which is on the same chassis, and I would use a WDH with that much tongue weight.
Is 450lbs the bogus "dry" tongue or did you actually weigh it?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Site Team

What model Clipper is it?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #4

The camper is a Clipper 17BH. The manufacturer specs show tongue weight of 441 lbs and GVWR 3756 lbs, I have not actually weighed it (and have no means to do so).

I checked the 2017 Yukon SLE owner's manual and it only gives general information about WDH with no specifics. Is 0.5 inch rise in the front and 1.5 inch drop in the rear a "who cares" or a "yikes" scenario? Those small numbers seem pretty minimal to me but I'm clearly no expert :-)

Also, with only a 17 foot camper is anti-sway really a necessity? With the Yukon so big/sturdy and the Clipper so short/light my suspicion is WDH and anti-sway are more niceties that necessities, but I'm looking for experienced input. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #5

Doesn't sound like too much of a difference in terms of drops/rise. However I would absolutely get a WDH with anti sway. I have an F350 with a 172" wheelbase that outweighs your Yukon and I wouldn't even think of not using a WDH. You might want to hit up a CAT scale to know your actual tongue weight. Bet it's way higher than 450.
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoody View Post
Also, with only a 17 foot camper is anti-sway really a necessity? With the Yukon so big/sturdy and the Clipper so short/light my suspicion is WDH and anti-sway are more niceties that necessities, but I'm looking for experienced input. Thanks.
Dry tongue weight doesn't include the weight batteries, propane, water or cargo.
My old hybrid TT had a similar dry tongue weight and I used a WDH with integrated sway control.

Also single axle trailers are squirrelier than tandem axle trailers.
So YES, you need sway control more than weight distribution.

Not sure why you're reluctant to get a WDH and sway control.
Are you an experienced tower of high wall trailers?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

My only reluctance is due to time. I replaced my tow vehicle and the new hitch is much higher than the old one. I have an Equalizer 4K and need to get a new drop down shank but the maximum drop available is 6 inch and I really need 8 inch which isn't made for the 4K model. Even if I want to try the 6 inch drop I can't get one before I hit the road. Was just wondering if I should "chance it" for this trip (about 1000 miles round trip). Looks like I'll have to replace my 4K model for 6K model when I get back; a 9 inch drop is available for the 6K model.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #8

dml

The biggest problem with tow vehicle drop due to trailer tongue weight is driving at night. Puts your headlights out of aim and approaching vehicles will often give you their bright lights. As with others I surely advise a weight distribution hitch with sway control.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

Towing 1K miles without sway control with a single axel... not something I would do
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Towing 1K miles without sway control with a single axel... not something I would do
I do it all the time. Granted it is a single axle lifted popup, but it has a tongue weight that exceeds 525 lbs (sometimes as high as 550 lbs). And crosswinds are a way of towing life out here in ID, UT and WY and I've hit some high ones and never had a sway problem, even when passing big rigs or slow moving motorhomes at 80 mph. (Very seldom pass 5th wheel trailers since they are usually passing me.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #11

Thanks to all for the input. I'll hold off on the trip until I can get the proper drop down shank and can hook up the Equalizer properly.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks to all for the input. I'll hold off on the trip until I can get the proper drop down shank and can hook up the Equalizer properly.
Without a wdh/anti-sway, you would know for sure the first time you drive a long down-grade. When that single axle trailer starts pushing you, hitting the brakes is the about the worst thing you can do, and will only amplify the sway. Tandem axles are much less likely to do this.

Your trailer weighs about half as much as your truck and has the ability to push the truck around under the right conditions. You are wise for trusting the advice that's been offered up.

Make certain the trailer tires are aired up to sidewall max, and the truck tires are at manufacturers specs. Now go camping and have fun.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #13

Have a Clipper 17BH and tow with a Toyota Tacoma...think that, all loaded up we are under but closer than we think to our tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. Definitely would recommend weight distribution/anti sway system. We don't use it for close to home trips, but interstate or hills you can definitely feel the difference. Better safe than sorry.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
The camper is a Clipper 17BH. The manufacturer specs show tongue weight of 441 lbs and GVWR 3756 lbs, I have not actually weighed it (and have no means to do so).

I checked the 2017 Yukon SLE owner's manual and it only gives general information about WDH with no specifics. Is 0.5 inch rise in the front and 1.5 inch drop in the rear a "who cares" or a "yikes" scenario? Those small numbers seem pretty minimal to me but I'm clearly no expert :-)

I used a wdh and sway control on my 16.5 hybrid, 3500lbs loaded pulling it with a d150 with 1800lb payload. NEC necessary? Only when my motorcycle was in the bed. Definitely made a difference with or without the extra payload. My cub had a single axle, assume yours does as well.
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #15

I like the idea of moving toward the upgraded WDH with integrated sway control. If you want to go ahead with the 1000 mile trip coming up, consider adding a $50 friction sway controller. Any local hitch shop can set you up, probably $100-150 installed.

I know, I know, I know...it's not as good as integrated sway control, which I clearly recommend. But for such a small trailer, a single sway controller will have plenty of clamp.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #16

The single axles trailers seem to sway . Worse than double axles trailers . Passing trucks with a side wind can get crazy. Good hitch for sure .
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer