Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Dang 400,000 K on a Ford wow when I had Fords the Trans wouldn't last even 40 K the last Ford rebuild went 13K and I went Dodge..........


That is strange,,, from what I have heard,,, the Ford Tranny is more app to last longer than the Dodge ???
__________________

__________________
Wolverine 1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
That is strange,,, from what I have heard,,, the Ford Tranny is more app to last longer than the Dodge ???
Really????

Here is a thread on the 68RFE auto on the RAM trucks. The life on some of the units has reached 300,+ miles and still running. These are guys who haul for a living and know the true benefit of the RAM trucks.
68RFE How long will it last?

See post #7, 14,and 19 in the thread.
__________________

__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, TDR 112K+miles
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'll trade trucks first. On 3 I changed trans fluid/filter at under 100K and had problems with all 3 afterward.
I would have to agree. The local tranny shop says to never open them up unless broken. The filter is self cleaning the minute it is opened dirt gets in. The dipstick style changes can change the fluid if you want.
__________________
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I haven't changed trans fluid in 20yrs. Haven't had one long enough to rack up enough miles. Haven't changed tires either! 😀


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Are you trading the GMC before they fail and have some value left
__________________
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Even if you change your transmission fluid every 40-45K miles like I do, you still will not get much more than 400K out of your auto transmission.

Take care of your transmission. It is the weak link in the drive train.
Luckly on the Allison trannys, we have the easy, spin off filter that is changed every 15K. This keeps the fluid extremely clean compared to other trannys on the market that only have an internal filter. Clean fulid is a must for long service.
__________________
Doc
____________________________________
2014 V-Cross Platinum 365VTSB (Bought Labor Day 2014)
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I would have to agree. The local tranny shop says to never open them up unless broken. The filter is self cleaning the minute it is opened dirt gets in. The dipstick style changes can change the fluid if you want.
Yep, need to keep the tranny and fluid trash free. That is why I'm diligent on the Allison spin on filter. Every 12K we swap that out. Manual is 15K but we do tow a few days a month so we change it a little sooner.
__________________
Doc
____________________________________
2014 V-Cross Platinum 365VTSB (Bought Labor Day 2014)
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,692
That spin off filter sounds like a Great thing to have !!!
As long as it gets changed when it is supposed to be !!!
__________________
Wolverine 1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #38
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 737
I just bought a half-dozen Allison Spin Filters and a bottle of Royal Purple tranny fluid on Amazon. Every time I let the dealer do their free (for 1st 2 years or 4 times max) oil change, I crawl under and replace the spin filter. It's a simple 5 minute job. Just fill the new filter with Royal Purple and spin it on. It cost me roughly $15 avg. I wish the dealer would do it reasonable but they wanted $125 to change the spin. If you have an Allison and never done this yourself, check out youtube for easy how-to. Now if I can get brave enough to do my own Fuel Filter (they want $200 for that one).

PS. There are two tranny magnets that collect shavings etc. One is a small silver dollar sized circle that sits in top of the spin filter (you clean and reuse) and the other is a magnetized lining of the lower tranny pan. A full transmission oil change is supposed to include dropping the pan, replacing the gasket and cleaning the inner magnet lining.
__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I just bought a half-dozen Allison Spin Filters and a bottle of Royal Purple tranny fluid on Amazon. Every time I let the dealer do their free (for 1st 2 years or 4 times max) oil change, I crawl under and replace the spin filter. It's a simple 5 minute job. Just fill the new filter with Royal Purple and spin it on. It cost me roughly $15 avg. I wish the dealer would do it reasonable but they wanted $125 to change the spin. If you have an Allison and never done this yourself, check out youtube for easy how-to. Now if I can get brave enough to do my own Fuel Filter (they want $200 for that one).

PS. There are two tranny magnets that collect shavings etc. One is a small silver dollar sized circle that sits in top of the spin filter (you clean and reuse) and the other is a magnetized lining of the lower tranny pan. A full transmission oil change is supposed to include dropping the pan, replacing the gasket and cleaning the inner magnet lining.
I do the same thing. Every other oil change I do the spin off filter.
__________________
Doc
____________________________________
2014 V-Cross Platinum 365VTSB (Bought Labor Day 2014)
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
Luckly on the Allison trannys, we have the easy, spin off filter that is changed every 15K. This keeps the fluid extremely clean compared to other trannys on the market that only have an internal filter. Clean fulid is a must for long service.

What a great idea!
This should be a sticky!


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.