Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

How to tow?

Recently we found ourselves stuck on the shoulder of a major highway with a 35 ft 5th wheel having just lost the right rear wheel and tire. The studs had sheared off flush with the brake drum. Wheel and tire are still AWOL. Ok, there we were, trying to get roadside assistance to understand that we're not just a little utility 5th wheel trailer, but a big 35 ft RV. The one person they found within 120 miles couldn't come close to moving this rig. So there we were, left to our own devices on how to get another 50 miles down the road. Long story short, we managed to do it, but my question to all of you is, just how does a guy get a trailer this size moved to a safe location. If the damages had been worse and the trailer not able to be moved at all, what can a guy do? I'm curious what comes out of this. Thanks in advance for your responses.

NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

5 gallon can of gas and a match lol. Dont know, never really thought about it, cant flat bed it.

cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

How to tow?

Good Sam roadside assistance did it for us. When our TV engine blew up, GS sent a flat bed tow truck for the TV and an F350 dually to tow the fifth wheel, at no cost to me other than the yearly membership cost.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Good Sam roadside assistance did it for us. When our TV engine blew up, GS sent a flat bed tow truck for the TV and an F350 dually to tow the fifth wheel, at no cost to me other than the yearly membership cost.
I have the same thoughts...except we have AAA Plus RV. I don't even want to change a tire on the Tow Vehicle any longer.
42 campgrounds/292 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaM View Post
Recently we found ourselves stuck on the shoulder of a major highway with a 35 ft 5th wheel having just lost the right rear wheel and tire. The studs had sheared off flush with the brake drum. Wheel and tire are still AWOL. Ok, there we were, trying to get roadside assistance to understand that we're not just a little utility 5th wheel trailer, but a big 35 ft RV. The one person they found within 120 miles couldn't come close to moving this rig. So there we were, left to our own devices on how to get another 50 miles down the road. Long story short, we managed to do it, but my question to all of you is, just how does a guy get a trailer this size moved to a safe location. If the damages had been worse and the trailer not able to be moved at all, what can a guy do? I'm curious what comes out of this. Thanks in advance for your responses.
My question is.... What did you 'manage to do it'.... What did YOU do?

I have had Two, 'loss of tire/wheel' scenarios...
1) tire/Wheel passed me going up a hill . Lug bolts had sheared off at the hub. I knew what happened when looking at the hub that the most likely problem was that the lug nuts were not tightened enough. This looks to be your same issue. What did I do? Drove it slowly to a point to get it off the road. Put a jack under the u-bolts at the axel. Took off the hub. drove to the nearest auto-parts store (with the tire and rim, hub) and bought 5 lug bolts and nuts that matched the hub and rim size. Hammered the old lug bolts out. grease the bearing as well as I could and reinstalled the new lug bolts. Put hub back on camper and tire and down the road we go. Job was a hassle, but it not that hard to do once I 'settled down' and I knew that there was no need for me to 'find and pay' someone to do, what I knew how to do already. If you had the tools, you could have fixed it like this. It did take hours to do on the side of the road, but I knew it was done right. Just know, that when I hammered the lug bolts into the hub, they were 'set' as tight as I could get them. I knew also that the bolts would 'work' 'tighter' and there by the lug nuts would be 'looser'. I stopped about ten miles down the road and retightened all my nuts and then again 25 mile farther and then 50 mile after that. and then I thought that the lug nuts would be fine the rest of the trip. Double checked all four camper tire before the trip home.

2) The second scenario, I will not go into, but it was a bearing/axle spindle failure, CampingWorld, down the road. Strapped up the bad axle and drove on the side of the Interstate for 8 mile. Hard on 'good' tire and axle?? You betcha, replace both tires on that side after trip. CW got me back on the road with a patch up job. Ended up replacing axle myself (along with two tires on that side)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I didn't lose my wheel, but had a wheel bearing failure and fire on the highway in Phoenix.

I used my Rand McNally GPS device to locate an RV dealership/repair shop less than a mile away so I limped it there.

It was late in the afternoon and as luck would have it there was an RV park right next door, so I spent the night there and was parked at their front door when they opened the next day (that's what they told me to do the night before, just in case anyone wants to jump my case for parking in front of their door when they opened )

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Good Sam roadside assistance did it for us.
Same - when I broke a leaf spring in a parking lot, Good Sam sent a mobile auto tech to us. We tried finding someone on our own and failed finding someone on a Sunday (though we were looking for RV mobile techs).

When my frame buckled in California, for some reason I was reluctant to call Good Sam (still no idea why!). We limped it to a safe spot, then to a mechanic, then to an RV park, and finally to a buddy's work where we fixed it. Part of that limping was down a highway at 15-20mph on the shoulder when there was one. That SUUUUCKED.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Growing up on a farm was a great education for circumstances like this. We always had some kind of a "come-along" and lengths of chain around.

For this breakdown a piece of chain and come-along to lift the wheel-less end of the axle and S-L-O-W-L-Y proceed to a safe parking place. Then, as another has stated, take the damaged hub/drum to the nearest A/P store and obtain new studs/nuts.. Even is wheel and tire is AWOL, the spare should work.

In addition to the chain and come-along, a good hammer and punch help greatly with broken studs. FWIW, studs and lug nuts aren't that expensive but they can be priceless if you have a spare set when "this" happens.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post

2) The second scenario, I will not go into, but it was a bearing/axle spindle failure, CampingWorld, down the road. Strapped up the bad axle and drove on the side of the Interstate for 8 mile. Hard on 'good' tire and axle?? You betcha, replace both tires on that side after trip. CW got me back on the road with a patch up job. Ended up replacing axle myself (along with two tires on that side)
Exactly what I would attempt to do.

1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote