Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Just wanted to make sure...
[emoji106]
Old 10-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #62

an easy idea would be to drive to the nearest campground or rv park, and look for one of the 'larger' trucks that are sized to handle your trailer - the owner may just well take a few hundred dollars of your hard earned money to 'bring down' your trailer - as it will probably be an easy haul for him - unless you're more 'off grid' than he would like!
a few hundred dollars is a lot cheaper than your safety, the risk of your truck and trailer be damaged, or your sanity - and probably cheaper than having to purchase or rent the equipment needed to do it yourself.

A little honey and a humble attitude would go a long way with a knowledgeable and experience truck owner : ) ... "lunch is on me" would also help in the conversation!

p.s... purchase 'Comp and Collision' insurance coverage on your trailer before you move it, if you have not already. That will cover your trailer in the event of damage, even if the truck owner is at fault. The truck owner's liability insurance will already cover your trailer if it is part of an accident with another vehicle or property, while he's connected to it and pulling it to your destination.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #63

Like Baraboobob and Youroo, i'm having doubts about this post too.
As to questions about who to hire to tow it and how much it might cost, seems the Father-in-Law could answer both questions since he bought it and had it towed there in the beginning.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Old 10-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #64

Come on guys, give him a break. He said he is new and came to us for help, not criticism.
Andersen hitch
Old 10-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
Don't. There are many a young folk out there that don't know how to hook up a battery. One of my favorite stories is about the young guy that bought a new lockset (doorknob) and returned it because it was "backwards". He wanted the keyed side on the outside of the door.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailernoob View Post
We are living off grid up on a mountain ridge in our travel trailer. Its all dirt roads to get up here and pretty steep. We had the trailer delivered by someone at camping world and now we're living in it in a little spot we carved out in the woods. The ground is very un-level so the trailer is being supported by some scissor jacks right now.

The trailer was bought for us by my girlfriends parents. When we got it we intended to live in it long term in this spot where we were doing a help exchange for the people that own the property. That didnt work out so we started paying rent and now we want to move back down south to the Bay Area.

Like I said the trailer was delivered and we werent the ones that went to camping world to buy it so we didnt get much information about it except for what my girlfriends dad relayed to us. We imagined we would be here for a long time so we didnt even think about how we'd move the thing. But now of course we want to move it and I have no idea what I'm doing

I do have a truck that I got around the same time as the trailer but for some reason I wasnt even thinking that i'd ever be towing the trailer with it. The truck is a 1999 f150. The owners manual says it has a gcwr of 12,700lbs and it says it can tow a trailer of 7,700lbs. Our trailer is 7,705lbs. Im not sure how much our truck weighs maybe 4,000? 4,500? Someone at Good Sam said our truck should do the job. Also theres some heavy stuff we have to take like two honda eu2200i generators and six husky scissor jacks. We dont even know where we're going yet but if we did go somewhere should I put that heavy stuff in the truck bed? Right now some of its in the trailer storage.

The other reason we wont be going anywhere is because I dont have a weight distribution hitch which I just learned what it was this morning. So we need that. Problem is the guy at Good Sam said to get the thing fitted onto my truck I have to bring the truck and the trailer to a Uhaul or whatever and the closest city to us is 2 hours away on a windy mountain road. So how am I gonna get it there? They said I could rent a truck but I have no idea how to drive this thing. And even if I did rent a truck how would I know the hitch would fit on our trailer? Like i said right now its on totally unlevel ground.
Max
This paragraph tells me you’re way in over your head with this move. Steep roads, etc says you really need to hire a professional to do this move. When you get it down off the mountain you can then deal with the logistics of finding a tow vehicle that can do the job and outfitting it to match the TT. It would be very risky doing it yourself at this point. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
This paragraph tells me you’re way in over your head with this move. Steep roads, etc says you really need to hire a professional to do this move. When you get it down off the mountain you can then deal with the logistics of finding a tow vehicle that can do the job and outfitting it to match the TT. It would be very risky doing it yourself at this point. Good luck!
Thanks
Old 10-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #68

I am a very experienced in towing trailers in the mountains. I can only imagine a 1st time out towing loosing the brakes on a steep mountain road. I have had the experience of loosing the trailer brakes (cable break) on a steep mountain road with a 10k tractor on a 5th wheel trailer towed with a F-350. When I got to the bottom, about two miles, I had no truck brakes either, smoke rolling out from under the fenders, I managed to get in second gear part of the way down. This would not be for an inexperienced driver to handle, and I hope I never do this again myself.

Ben
Old 10-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #69

You got really great advice here from some really great folks. Without being specific about your location you could narrow it down to maybe get some help from someone nearby by stating so cal or nor cal. Also have them pm you for more info. The suggestion to give cw a call to see who they had to get it up the mt is a great one. Insurance on it's is not expensive. I would have someone bring it down the mountain before you try moving it yourself. Jmo
Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #70

Something is skunky, um, fishy about this post. Want's help but accuses this site of being some random internet forum. It's not random, it's loaded with knowledgeable people who help newbies. Trust has to be exhibited both ways.

If legit, I wish the OP well.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Old 10-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #71
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
As to questions about who to hire to tow it and how much it might cost, seems the Father-in-Law could answer both questions since he bought it and had it towed there in the beginning.

Also with Teamfour (Post #70)
Yep, my spidysense is ringing bells too.

His first post is full of info almost like he knew exactly what he needed to ask (or was coached) but his answers to a lot of the questions thrown at him seem to be rather naïve or he's playing dumb. His girlfriend's father buys them a 2019 32' 5 or 6 bed TT valued between $20K and $35K (only a few weeks old too) and doesn't lift a finger to help them get it off the mountain, thus protecting his investment in the TT and his daughter's life.

He talks about his two heavy Honda eu2200i genys (what 23kilos each) and his six heavy Husky scissor jacks, their combined weight is minor compared to all their other gear they should have!

Since Camping World just very recently delivered it I would think they would do a bit of a deal to recover it!

This person has no job, so how can he afford to buy the gas to move this to some unknown destination let alone several hundred dollars worth of truck upgrades. He was even surprised about 4x4 for descending, damn he's in the mountains on dirt roads!!!!!

He's on the mountains (no hydro), due to internet limitations he is on satellite, hmm here in Canada that's about $70US (C$100) a month, he is answering questions within minutes, so he has a good connection.

Where are the photos of their rig, photos of the dirt trail he has to negotiate and his reluctance to having someone skilled to move it as many of you have suggested?

Again why did dad buy a bunkhouse model for their home, maybe he's expecting them to make grandkids up in them there mountains?

His reluctance to offer us his approximate location is questionable, most of the posters on here are just drooling at the thought of climbing your mountain, taking you out of the picture, ravishing your girlfriend then stealing your TT. Oh, don't forget your two Honda genys, we can sell them too!

As Teamfour said (Post #70) "something is skunky" and if legit, I too offer my best wishes in your move, but please listen to common sense and get someone to help.

Note. I will apologise if proven wrong.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #72

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
Also with Teamfour (Post #70)
Yep, my spidysense is ringing bells too.

His first post is full of info almost like he knew exactly what he needed to ask (or was coached) but his answers to a lot of the questions thrown at him seem to be rather naïve or he's playing dumb. His girlfriend's father buys them a 2019 32' 5 or 6 bed TT valued between $20K and $35K (only a few weeks old too) and doesn't lift a finger to help them get it off the mountain, thus protecting his investment in the TT and his daughter's life.

He talks about his two heavy Honda eu2200i genys (what 23kilos each) and his six heavy Husky scissor jacks, their combined weight is minor compared to all their other gear they should have!

Since Camping World just very recently delivered it I would think they would do a bit of a deal to recover it!

This person has no job, so how can he afford to buy the gas to move this to some unknown destination let alone several hundred dollars worth of truck upgrades. He was even surprised about 4x4 for descending, damn he's in the mountains on dirt roads!!!!!

He's on the mountains (no hydro), due to internet limitations he is on satellite, hmm here in Canada that's about $70US (C$100) a month, he is answering questions within minutes, so he has a good connection.

Where are the photos of their rig, photos of the dirt trail he has to negotiate and his reluctance to having someone skilled to move it as many of you have suggested?

Again why did dad buy a bunkhouse model for their home, maybe he's expecting them to make grandkids up in them there mountains?

His reluctance to offer us his approximate location is questionable, most of the posters on here are just drooling at the thought of climbing your mountain, taking you out of the picture, ravishing your girlfriend then stealing your TT. Oh, don't forget your two Honda genys, we can sell them too!

As Teamfour said (Post #70) "something is skunky" and if legit, I too offer my best wishes in your move, but please listen to common sense and get someone to help.

Note. I will apologise if proven wrong.

Geoff
And someone finally posted what we were all thinking...of course there is the other choice which is we are dealing with...a Millennial!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
That weight is very close to the limit but it isn't just the weight that is important. A flatbed trailer with a low profile load that weighs 7000lbs is easier in my opinion is easier to haul than a 7000lb cargo or travel trailer. Things like sight, center of gravity being higher, and overall length make it harder to haul. I would really suggest having someone move it for you. Learn how to haul it later in a better environment. Not on the side of a mountain.
X2
2019 Puma Unleashed 373QSI 5er, Current
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L
Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #74

I would get a shank and ball that will fit your truck and trailer combination and carefully and slowly take it down the mountain. If you plan to keep the trailer you can carefully and slowly take it to the shop where they can fix you up with an equalizer type hitch. You only need an equalizer type hitch for towing at highway speed. By going slow enough you can manage with a simple bumper hitch.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #75

My expert advice on this whole ordeal is as follows:

A wise (divorced) man once told me: If it flies floats or f*&#s....rent it.

In the case of the OP not having a job and ability to pay for much, break ties with the GF (and her dad), take the Ford and move on to greener pastures. [emoji2]

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #76

Where is the trailer located?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #77
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterwood View Post
Where is the trailer located?

The OP already has said in post #20, that they don't want to post that information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP already has said in post #20, that they don't want to post that information.
My bad. Didn't catch that. If they were close, I would offer to help them out.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailernoob View Post
Ill have to get back to you after i figure out what a truck is

Hmmm, this is a very odd statement. Could be a typo/grammar thing (a instead of the), but the site team is going to close this thread while we contact this member.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
trailer