Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
How to use Reese 15k slider hitch?

I have a used 15k Reese slider hitch and unsure how to use it? What is the difference between maneuver and towing position ?

Also what position does the bar need to be in to get the hitch to move backwards or forward?

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #2

The lever you are referring to has 3 positions:
1) Locked Towing-This is when the hitch is positioned all the way forward for towing. The lever will lock the hitch to the slide rail.
2) Unlocked-Place the lever in this position when you want to slide the hitch forward or to the rear. DO NOT tow in this position.
3) Locked Maneuvering-This is when the hitch is positioned to the rear of the slide, allowing you to tow safely when backing into a tight spot or turning sharply. This allows for additional clearance between the trailer and the cab of the truck.
When sliding the hitch on the rails, make sure it is positioned completely to the rear or completely to the front so the arm can lock it in place.
If the slider is not used often, it can get rusted and this can make it really difficult to get the hitch to slide. When this happens, lubricate the slide and rollers with WD-40 or a rust penatrent. I have then seen people place the lever in the UNLOCK position and with the trailer connected, drive forward or in reverse, making sure that you manually apply the trailer brakes using the brake controller. This will move the hitch into the desired position. They only move the vehicle a few inches to get the hitch to slide while preventing the trailer from moving. I always use wheel chocks on my trailer when hitching or unhitching to reduce the movement of the trailer.
Keep the slider lubricated with WD-40 to prevent it from rusting.
Good luck and be careful to make sure your trailer is properly hitched.
Here's a good video for you to watch:
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Very good informative post amxpress.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
The lever you are referring to has 3 positions:
1) Locked Towing-This is when the hitch is positioned all the way forward for towing. The lever will lock the hitch to the slide rail.
2) Unlocked-Place the lever in this position when you want to slide the hitch forward or to the rear. DO NOT tow in this position.
3) Locked Maneuvering-This is when the hitch is positioned to the rear of the slide, allowing you to tow safely when backing into a tight spot or turning sharply. This allows for additional clearance between the trailer and the cab of the truck.
When sliding the hitch on the rails, make sure it is positioned completely to the rear or completely to the front so the arm can lock it in place.

Thank you for the information. My hitch is a little weird, it appears to be a older Reese because if I put it into maneuver it will still slide backwards till it gets to maneuver position. If in maneuver position and move arm to towing position then I back up it will move till its in towing position. Is this normal?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Thank you for the information. My hitch is a little weird, it appears to be a older Reese because if I put it into maneuver it will still slide backwards till it gets to maneuver position. If in maneuver position and move arm to towing position then I back up it will move till its in towing position. Is this normal?
Sounds exactly like mine...it is normal. It locks in either position, right? You should be able to move it to eithe position by hand.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

That is correct. Just make sure it is latched in the rear position if you are "maneuvering" into a parking spot especially if you are backing and turning and latched in the forward position when you are towing on the road.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

You guys use your slider hitch much?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Interesting enough, I've only used my slider a few times, and really only needed it once.
I did it just to be safe as the turns I were making were tight.
It is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Interesting enough, I've only used my slider a few times, and really only needed it once.
I did it just to be safe as the turns I were making were tight.
It is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

How do i align the fifth wheel when backing up? I have dodge ram megacab so seeing the hitch would be a nightmare.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

On my tt, I mounted a mirror I could see the hitch ball and the hitch. Maybe you could mount a large rectangular mirror on the hitchpin box on the trailer.