Old 07-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

how to weigh trailer

getting ready for a trip and I want to verify that I know how to weigh the trailer. we have a pickup tow vehicle and a large 5th wheel. here is how I think the weighing should be done.

1. weight both truck and trailer on scale (this should be less than truck GCWR)
2. inch forward so both axles of truck are off the scale and both axles of the trailer are on the scale to get weight of trailer on both its axles.
3. inch forward a bit more to get front trailer axle off scale and rear trailer axle on scale. this will give weight on read trailer axle which should be less than trailer GAWR. then subtract this weight from the weight taken in step 2 to calculate weight on trailer front axle which again should be less than trailer GAWR.
4. pull off the trailer and disconnect and park the trailer.
5. put truck back on scale and weigh it. subtract this number from the combined weight taken in step 1. this will give you the weight of the trailer which should be less than the trailer GVWR.
6. calculate the load on the hitch by subtracting the weight on the trailer axles (step 2) from the weight of the trailer (step 5).

if the scale is one of those segmented ones that can take multiple weight at the same time some of the above steps could be taken at the same time.

does this sound like the proper steps to take? thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

That sounds right. But if you're going anywhere near a truck stop on any highway- the segmented scales make this so much easier.

Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Fifth Wheel Camper (at CAT Scales)

Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

CAT scale and a tongue scale. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
CAT scale and a tongue scale. Done.

If you do a CAT scale, what's the point of the tongue scale? You can find tongue weight with 2 quick weighings and some simple math (or better, plug it into my site towingplanner.com).
Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

Sounds like a good plan. Although I have a TT, I did it about the same way. Very enlightening as I had way more tongue weight than I had though But most important to me was my TT axles were all under the axle max load.

Tags
trailer