Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've split axles and have been able to get decently accurate weights.
Thanks
Pops8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #22

Thanks for the information ependydad. I didn’t know there was an app for CAT scales. Going to give it a try.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:18 AM   #23
Always Learning

I recently went through and weighed again. I wasn’t happy with the results, but that’s why I weigh! As I did, I had the dashcam rolling and had the idea of a combined video of the dashcam footage and the app screenshots being combined together.

Here’s the result:

Hope it’s helpful to someone out there!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #24

Quote:
I recently went through and weighed again. I wasn’t happy with the results, but that’s why I weigh! As I did, I had the dashcam rolling and had the idea of a combined video of the dashcam footage and the app screenshots being combined together.

Here’s the result:

Hope it’s helpful to someone out there!
Thank You ependydad
Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #25

Great info thanks for taking the time to clearly show the steps and how it’s done. Makes me have more confidence when I attempt this in the near future.
Kimo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
For TT's, you need to do 3 weights:

1, truck + trailer w/ WDH engaged (like regular travel)
2, truck + trailer w/ WDH disengaged (throw the bars in the truck bed)
3, truck only

Make sure to pull off of the scale in between weighings to make all adjustments.

And then, like shared above- use this calculator with the resulting 3 weigh slips:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

How do I weigh my rig when it is not long enough for the 3 axles to sit on 3 separate pads? The tow vehicle is a Toyota Highlander and the TT is a 17 foot trailer. The front axle of the Toyota sits on the first pad, the back axle of the Toyota sits on the second pad and that leaves the TT axle also on the second pad.
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspendog View Post
How do I weigh my rig when it is not long enough for the 3 axles to sit on 3 separate pads? The tow vehicle is a Toyota Highlander and the TT is a 17 foot trailer. The front axle of the Toyota sits on the first pad, the back axle of the Toyota sits on the second pad and that leaves the TT axle also on the second pad.
I would do 2 weights. Pull on until the travel trailer is on the 3rd pad and weigh. Don’t worry about TV axles.

Then pull forward until your Toyota front axle is on the first pad and the rear axle and travel trailer axle are on rear pad and weigh.

Now subtract the travel trailer weight measured in the first weight from the rear axle/travel trailer axle Weight measure in 2nd weight. This will,give you your rear axle weight.

Now you will have to run thru a 3rd time with just the toyota to get the tv weight.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I would do 2 weights. Pull on until the travel trailer is on the 3rd pad and weigh. Don’t worry about TV axles.

Then pull forward until your Toyota front axle is on the first pad and the rear axle and travel trailer axle are on rear pad and weigh.

Now subtract the travel trailer weight measured in the first weight from the rear axle/travel trailer axle Weight measure in 2nd weight. This will,give you your rear axle weight.

Now you will have to run thru a 3rd time with just the toyota to get the tv weight.

Thanks for the information and quick response. I have learned so much from this site. In my 70's and just started RVing last year. Love it.
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #29

Glad you’re to hear enjoying the RV experience. It is a lot of fun for sure !! This site is a great reference for sure.
Lots of knowledgeable, experienced folks in here who are always willing to help.
Kimo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspendog View Post
Thanks for the information and quick response. I have learned so much from this site. In my 70's and just started RVing last year. Love it.
Aspendog, you are more than welcome. I turn 70 in July. We joined this site 2013 when we were pulling an Apex 17 footer with our Toyota Highlander..lol...

I should have mentioned on the first weigh just make sure the only thing on the 3rd pad is your travel trailer axles..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA6B114D-ABBF-49F4-B055-C0007CB63D17.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	228663  

Old 05-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #31
NXR

I'd suggest printing the PDF you'll receive by email and annotating it with the specifics: amount of fuel, water, number of people, etc. It'll make it easier to remember the configuration when you look at it in the future.

I did my original weigh with full fuel, full water, people and dogs and stuff for a long trip. Recently we emptied it out completely and weighed it again (but had 1/3rd water). Now I've got to figure out where that 1,800 lbs on the rear axle came from.

Suggestions on how to tell my DW that the front axle weight increased by 40 lbs, and it wasn't me, will be gratefully accepted.

Ray
Old 05-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'd suggest printing the PDF you'll receive by email and annotating it with the specifics: amount of fuel, water, number of people, etc. It'll make it easier to remember the configuration when you look at it in the future.

I did my original weigh with full fuel, full water, people and dogs and stuff for a long trip. Recently we emptied it out completely and weighed it again (but had 1/3rd water). Now I've got to figure out where that 1,800 lbs on the rear axle came from.

Suggestions on how to tell my DW that the front axle weight increased by 40 lbs, and it wasn't me, will be gratefully accepted.

Ray
I'd just keep it to myself.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #33

I just came from the cat scale with my truck before reading this. Just my truck was weighed and the steer axle was 3540 pounds and the drive axle was 2580 pounds. Gross weight was 6120 pounds. This is a Ram 1500, 4x4, crew cab with a rating of 7100 pounds. Is the 6120 pounds the weight of my truck? If so that would only leave me with 980 pounds for passengers, tongue weight and cargo. Is that correct. This stuff confuse me to not end. Thanks
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
I just came from the cat scale with my truck before reading this. Just my truck was weighed and the steer axle was 3540 pounds and the drive axle was 2580 pounds. Gross weight was 6120 pounds. This is a Ram 1500, 4x4, crew cab with a rating of 7100 pounds. Is the 6120 pounds the weight of my truck? If so that would only leave me with 980 pounds for passengers, tongue weight and cargo. Is that correct. This stuff confuse me to not end. Thanks
No, you are confused. You would subtract that 6120 number, from the GCWR number, to get max amount of trailer weight you can tow.
To get payload, you subtract that 6120 number from the the truck's GVWR.
Once you do that, compare that number with the driver's door yellow sticker payload capacity number and see how close they are.
When you say "This is a Ram 1500, 4x4, crew cab with a rating of 7100 pounds", which rating are you referring to?
Towing Capacity, GVWR or something else. Trucks have numerous different "ratings", so you have to be specific.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #35

From the door sticker the front axle is 4100 pounds and the rear is 3900 Pounds

The GVWR is 7100 pounds.

Tires show a maximum weight capacity of 1424

The truck has a tow rating of 11,324 pounds and a GCWR OF 17,000 pounds.

How can the tow rating be that high and GVWR be that high and only have a 980 pound payload capacity. The confusing part for me.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #36

Quote:
From the door sticker the front axle is 4100 pounds and the rear is 3900 Pounds

The GVWR is 7100 pounds.

Tires show a maximum weight capacity of 1424

How can the tow rating be that high and GVWR be that high and only have a 980 pound payload capacity. The confusing part for me.
Well the tow rating just means the truck tranny/drive train can pull 11,324 pounds. Think pulling a 4 wheel wagon type trailer that put little to no weight on your truck. Just a wagon tongue that hooks to a bumper hitch. I saw a Toyota pull the Space Shuttle once in a commercial, of course the Shuttle has its own motorized tow system.

Payload comes in When you start adding weight to the truck. You say your truck has a GVWR of 7100 lbs. that means once you fill it with gas, add your family, add your pin weight or tongue weight from your RV your truck can’t weight more than 7100 pounds.

When you weighed your truck was it full of fuel and have your family/tools or what you would normally carry. If so subtract that weight from the 7100 pounds and that will show you how much you can add to your truck. Sounds like you already did this and the weight you have left before you exceed GVWR means you need to get a small trailer.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #37

Interesting and troubling at the same time. The truck was weighed with me and the wife with a full tank of gas. If I’m careful loading the truck the trailer will be fine. That weights 6490 pounds if loaded fully. I haven’t weighed that yet with the truck. Monday project. Tongue weight would be a guess but let’s say 650 pounds. That leaves me with 330 pounds for hitch and other stuff. At least I’ll be safe with the total GCVR, 17000 pounds.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Interesting and troubling at the same time. The truck was weighed with me and the wife with a full tank of gas. If I’m careful loading the truck the trailer will be fine. That weights 6490 pounds if loaded fully. I haven’t weighed that yet with the truck. Monday project. Tongue weight would be a guess but let’s say 650 pounds. That leaves me with 330 pounds for hitch and other stuff. At least I’ll be safe with the total GCVR, 17000 pounds.
Yes, you will be close. Just load up and take it to the CAT scale and see where you sit. I bet your tongue weight is closer to 900lbs (15% of your trailer weight).

You will notice your GAWR ratings added together exceed your GVWR. Some say, and I’m not saying it is ok, but some say your ok if you don’t exceed your GAWR front or rear weight.

As far as GVWR and GCWR. It is not an either/or weight. Once you exceed one you are exceeding your trucks rating. Most of the time you will exceed your GVWR long before you exceed your GCWR. That seems to be your case.

Let us know where your weigh out....

Old 06-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
This is why I didn't buy a Ram 1500, even though I liked them.
I spent 2 years looking for a used 1/2 ton crew cab 4x4, for towing and good payload capacity.
I found the Rams to have the worse overall payload capacities. It wasn't unusual to see many with barely 1000lbs of payload capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #40
NXR

Quote:
I just came from the cat scale with my truck before reading this. Just my truck was weighed and the steer axle was 3540 pounds and the drive axle was 2580 pounds.
Yes, your current weight is 6,120 pounds.

Quote:
Gross weight was 6120 pounds. This is a Ram 1500, 4x4, crew cab with a rating of 7100 pounds.
Gross weight, GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), is set by the manufacturer, not by weighing it. So your GVWR apparently is 7,100 pounds.

Quote:
If so that would only leave me with 980 pounds for passengers, tongue weight and cargo. Is that correct. This stuff confuse me to not end. Thanks
Since you did not specifically mention the weight of the trailer, yes, 980 pounds.

Quote:
GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is the maximum weight that the total of the truck, all stuff, tongue weight, and whatever you're towing cannot exceed. Some vehicles have a really strong frame, a beefy transmission and gearing and a great engine. That's why they can tow so much.

So 17,000 lbs minus 6,120 lbs = 10,880 lbs. So you cannot quite tow the 11,234 with the current weight of your truck but darn close.

As one person said, load it up and get it all weighed as a unit with the trailer on its own CAT Scale platform.

After you weigh it all hooked up for $12, then go drop the trailer in the parking lot and do a Re-weigh, which costs only a couple of dollars.

Subtract the two truck weights and you'll know your exact tongue weight. Then you can decide if the weight distribution is OK. If it's too heavy on one end, go move some stuff in the trailer to get closer to optimal.

If your tongue weight is way too high because the trailer is front-heavy, that could show up as your front axle being a lot lighter when hooked up (because the back of the truck is being pushed down by the tongue weight). That can cause stability problems because the front brakes won't be as effective and it can just drive squirrely.

But if you have too much weight in the back of the trailer that can cause instability as well if you start to get sway on the trailer. It really is a balancing act.

HTH,

Ray

Tags
cat, truck