Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Husky Centerline vs. Equalizer vs. Reese Dual Cam

I'm looking for advice from people who have used these hitches. What did you like/dislike about them?

We are able to purchase the Husky Centerline and get it installed for the same price as the Equalizer installed. DH has decided against installing it himself. The Reese Dual Cam comes out to about $50 more then the other two installed.

We are most interested in the Husky Centerline since that's what our dealer is recommending. They are letting us purchase it at cost and it would just be a lot easier for everyone if we went with that.

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

Hi-

I recently purchased a trailer and elected to go with the Centerline. I have used the Reese dual cam on rentals and felt that it (Reese) was a good system in respects to sway however the hitching up was a bit of a nerve racking experience. By that I mean if I remember correctly there are 2 extra pins to lose compared to the centerline and god forbid someone uses the cheater bar to shoot off fireworks! Also the counting chain loops in the dark has the potential for error. The centerline is very similar to the Equalizer brand but with two charged cylinders that “force” the bars in to be straight. The down side to me is that the truck and tongue need to be almost dead centered when hitching up or one side will be impossible to pry up on to the perch. Also the Hitch head is extremely heavy but overall I feel happy with the system. Towing is rather un eventful and somewhat stress free. I guess you could say that about any of the systems on the market. There are a few more points of maintenance that need to be addressed such as the pins and shims in front of the spring bars.
The biggest issue I found prior to purchasing the Centerline was a lack of information about it on-line.

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Hi-

I recently purchased a trailer and elected to go with the Centerline. I have used the Reese dual cam on rentals and felt that it (Reese) was a good system in respects to sway however the hitching up was a bit of a nerve racking experience. By that I mean if I remember correctly there are 2 extra pins to lose compared to the centerline and god forbid someone uses the cheater bar to shoot off fireworks! Also the counting chain loops in the dark has the potential for error. The centerline is very similar to the Equalizer brand but with two charged cylinders that “force” the bars in to be straight. The down side to me is that the truck and tongue need to be almost dead centered when hitching up or one side will be impossible to pry up on to the perch. Also the Hitch head is extremely heavy but overall I feel happy with the system. Towing is rather un eventful and somewhat stress free. I guess you could say that about any of the systems on the market. There are a few more points of maintenance that need to be addressed such as the pins and shims in front of the spring bars.
The biggest issue I found prior to purchasing the Centerline was a lack of information about it on-line.
Thank you for that. We are leaning towards the husky centerline, but I will have to talk to DH about the angle when hooking up. I know it's a lot quieter then the equalizer, which to me is a big plus. I'm hoping more people will chime in, but after searching, there doesn't seem to be too many on here that have the husky.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
Thank you for that. We are leaning towards the husky centerline, but I will have to talk to DH about the angle when hooking up. I know it's a lot quieter then the equalizer, which to me is a big plus. I'm hoping more people will chime in, but after searching, there doesn't seem to be too many on here that have the husky.
I wouldn't rule out the Reese DC and Equalizer because of noise. There are things you can do to make them quieter. I have the Reese DC and I put a small amount of vaseline on the bars per the instructions and they are very quiet. With the Equalizer there are some pads you can place at the contact point which is supposed to reduce the noise also. I'm not familiar with the Husky, but the DC and Equalizer are very easy to install. Don't forget there is a new face on the market also, it's called Anderson hitch. Not much info on it yet though.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
flyfishn

I have used both the Equalizer (4point) and the Reese Dual Cam on previous Trailers. By recommendation from my dealer on my new trailer, I went with the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I found the Equalizer a little noisy (especially when backing up) and the Reese with too much fine tuning.
The Blue Ox is high quality "Powder Coated' commercial finish (means no dirt or grease, and easy to wipe clean)
Enclosed Grease certs
-Most user friendly to hook up....so far the easiest and quickest to hook up
-handles sway as good if not better than the Equalizer and Reese
I have not used the Husky brand.
Prodigy P2 Blue Ox Sway Pro
gtkato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
I wouldn't rule out the Reese DC and Equalizer because of noise. There are things you can do to make them quieter. I have the Reese DC and I put a small amount of vaseline on the bars per the instructions and they are very quiet. With the Equalizer there are some pads you can place at the contact point which is supposed to reduce the noise also. I'm not familiar with the Husky, but the DC and Equalizer are very easy to install. Don't forget there is a new face on the market also, it's called Anderson hitch. Not much info on it yet though.
I read the thread about that new hitch, I think it has the chains if I remember correctly. I'll have to show that to my DH as well. He really wants to avoid drilling holes into the frame, which is why the Reese is at the bottom of the list.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

I've only used the Equalizer brand. I think the noise thing is overblown. Once I realized what I was hearing, it never bothered me again. It's easy to hook up and maintain and works well.
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Hey! If you haven't seen it already there is a thread on this subjet at rv. net
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Husky Centerline vs. Equilizer Hitches
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

I pondered the same questions and ended up with the Equalizer for one reason lack of information about the Husky Centerline on here and other sites. I would have paid the extra money for it but lack of info and lack of online dealers I could order extra replacement items pushed me to the Equalizer. I am doing a trip to Tx Gulf from Northern WI in a couple of weeks I will have a complete eval on the equalizer with all the stats TV TT weights gears all of it just so others can judge.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

I have been trying to make a decision on which hitch to buy, and wanted to toss in what I found out. I was leaning towards the Centerline, with some concerns having read about mechanical failures and bars dropping off. We just purchased a new TT, and when I asked the service department about putting a new hitch on, asked what they carried. The carry both Equalizer and Husky, but do not offer the Centerline. They had too many problems with them, so you can buy regular Husky WD hitches from them but not the Centerline. That made my decision for me, I am going with the Equalizer.

2011 Surveyor Sport SP-240
19xx wife
2007 Havanese
GB44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer