Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #21
Site Team

Husky is my floor liner and the 4 point Equalizer is my hitch. I spray paint my L brackets and bars at the contact point with a product call mower guard. Hitch works great for me!

Here some more info with pics

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I spray paint my L brackets and bars at the contact point with a product call mower guard. Hitch works great for me!
[/URL]
FYI - Mower Guard is just a new marketing for old-fashioned dry film aerosol graphite. So if you don't have a Napa, just about any industrial/metal supplier will sell this in "vanilla" labeling for about $6/can and you can order from McMaster-Carr, Amazon, and elsewhere.

I'm in the other camp and want metal-to-metal contact for the friction, but I coat the polished metal surfaces with Boeshield T9 to inhibit surface rusting between uses.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #23

Equalizer non better
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba964 View Post
Equalizer non better
I have a equalizer and like it as well. But I think this could be better Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #25

Had an equalizer on my last tt, went blue ox on my new. Glad i changed, easier to hook up (not that the equilizer was hard) and a hell of a lot quieter!
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hensley and Propride are great hitches but IMHO, worth the way extra money when you have a marginal tow vehicle.
And I would argue that many people spend thousands of dollars (often $20K +) to upgrade to a truck that is overkill and isn't as well suited for daily driving when all they really needed was to upgrade from a marginal hitch...
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
FYI - Mower Guard is just a new marketing for old-fashioned dry film aerosol graphite. So if you don't have a Napa, just about any industrial/metal supplier will sell this in "vanilla" labeling for about $6/can and you can order from McMaster-Carr, Amazon, and elsewhere.

I'm in the other camp and want metal-to-metal contact for the friction, but I coat the polished metal surfaces with Boeshield T9 to inhibit surface rusting between uses.
Yes you are correct there is many dry graphite films on the market.
Fortunately, I work in the anti friction (graphite) industry and have samples of several. Mower guard is one of the cleanest or less messy that I know of..

I also use a mixture of slip plate and grease on the hitch head. Its far more messy then the mower guard. But its serving a different purpose.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 02-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
And I would argue that many people spend thousands of dollars (often $20K +) to upgrade to a truck that is overkill and isn't as well suited for daily driving when all they really needed was to upgrade from a marginal hitch...

If they are upgrading from a marginal hitch then they would be grading to the 4 point Equal-i-zer, not from it.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
If they are upgrading from a marginal hitch then they would be grading to the 4 point Equal-i-zer, not from it.
You are speaking of moving from the "good" to the "better" option. When you go the "best" option, you've made a HUGE leap and know the difference. ProPride owners can attest to this. I've pulled with hitches in each of the 3 categories and, while I do agree that the Equalizer is a good hitch and I always recommend it for folks looking to go with a friction type hitch, it is just NOT the same animal as a ProPride or Hensley. I think you'd have a hard time finding someone that has left a ProPride and gone back to an Equalizer or any other brand. I know I specifically walked from an exceptionally good deal on a TT and went with another brand because the nose design wouldn't allow me to use the ProPride and I just didn't want to go back to the Equalizer.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #30

If you have a marginal tow setup the Propride is a great option. Even if your tow setup is ideal it is a great option if you have deep enough pockets. Fortunately most people don't need it and can save a couple grand. My Equal-i-zer has been rock solid for 5 years and 16K miles and personally I wouldn't use anything else even it was given to me.

To the OP: the centerline, Blue Ox, Reese Dual cam and the Equal-i-zer 4 point have all had good reviews on the RV forums. All four work well. It is a tough choice but you can't really go wrong no matter what you choose.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
If you have a marginal tow setup the Propride is a great option. Even if your tow setup is ideal it is a great option if you have deep enough pockets. Fortunately most people don't need it and can save a couple grand. My Equal-i-zer has been rock solid for 5 years and 16K miles and personally I wouldn't use anything else even it was given to me.

To the OP: the centerline, Blue Ox, Reese Dual cam and the Equal-i-zer 4 point have all had good reviews on the RV forums. All four work well. It is a tough choice but you can't really go wrong no matter what you choose.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
The part of your post I am taking issue with is when you state" if your tow vehicle is marginal." You don't have a perfect towing setup and then cross a line where you need a ProPride. I think any rig you can tell a difference when towing with a ProPride. As TT size and weight increases toward the tow rating of a particular TV, I think you will see a much greater increase in hitch performance with the ProPride- which I think might be kind of what you are saying. I've towed with a standard chain type hitch with friction bar, the Equalizer 4 point, and now the ProPride. There was an improvement with the Equalizer over the standard, but the difference in those to the ProPride was VERY apparent. And I towed with these on a 97 F250 PSD, a 2011 F250 PSD and now an F150 Ecoboost. Once again, I THINK we are kind of saying the same thing- if I still had the F250 PSD, I probably wouldn't opt to spend the money on the ProPride. However, I don't consider my F150 Ecoboost to be a "marginal" TV. I hear of a lot of people (even with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks) upgrading to a 5W and a lot of people upgrading their 1/2 ton to a larger truck because of sway issues they are having, even though they are under published ratings. Those upgrades typically run $10K to $20K+. I think they could have spent ~$2700 and solved their problem. Used ProPride hitches typically sell for $1500-$1800, so the majority of that investment could be recovered later, too.

Edit: Just reread your post and saw the statement of "even if your setup is ideal.." so, apparently we are somewhat saying the same thing.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I have a Husky and am happy with it.
X2 , good quality hitch.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equal-i-zer