Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Husky vs Equil-i-zer

Upgrading my hitch system and down to two choices. The Husky Centerline or the Equil-I-zer four point. Would be interested to hear pro's/con's from those with experience with either of these.

My rig is a 2007 Rockwood 8315SS and TV is a 95 Ford F250 extended cab long bed with the 7.3 powerstroke turbo Diesel. Currently using an EZLift torsion bar with one friction sway control on the right side. The load is under max and balanced but still getting some sway with cross winds and passing trucks. Not extreme but enough to keep me tense. Not concerned about the cost comparisons on the two choices above as either is a small investment in maintaining my sanity and stress level and protection for the rig itself. More concerned with the functionality and want the best. Thanks.
Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

A 10K or 12K Equalizer would serve you very well as it has me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equal-I-Zer Hitch installation.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	12473  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Equal-i-zer and see no reason to change.

Having said that, there are many more Equal-I-zer owners on FRF than Husky Centerline and I don't think there are many who have had the opportunity to use both. I think both are very good hitches and believe I'd be happy with either. So, I'll concentrate on some nit-picking issues.

I have only used the Equal-I-zer and think its a very effective system for the price. The biggest drawback is that two items- the hitch ball and the shank bolts must be torqued to 430 and 320 ft-lbs, respectively. Also, a thin walled socket is needed for the ball. This can be difficult for DIY. The Equal-I-zer head tilts by adding/removing washers, which is not a problem but is putzy. The hitch can be noisy in low speed turns but this can be fixed.

What I know about the Centerline is what I've heard from others. It needs to be nearly straight in order to hitch or unhitch causing problems with certain tight spots while camping. Centerline parts are not as readily available at dealers, service shops or at the camp ground (for instance, my camping neighbor last year loaned me a spare Equal-I-zer L-pin once when I lost one. I found mine right before we left and returned his, but it was nice to know they are readily available. BTW I carry an extra set now). There are some early reports of failures in certain parts that Husky covered but still a concern.

The bottom line was that both do a good job when properly set up and both have minor issues.

Hope this helps!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

1 7/8 Thin walled socket : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store

Equalizer 1-7/8" Thin Wall Socket - By Equal-i-zer

It is an expensive socket but sockets that size are very expensive to start with. You will need that torque wrench anyway to torque the bar nuts before every tow. I kept the torque wrench and the nut socket right in the front compartment.

As an alternative you can take it right to the dealer or to U-Haul and for 5 or 10 bucks they will do the final ball nut torque for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #5

Thanks. Sound logic on the parts availability on the EQ. Further research on the centerline had some some issues with breaking washers and problematic set-up. Seems the EQ is time tested and spoken highly of on several RV forums that I visited. The EQ it shall be. One quick further question, Max weight on the TT is 7K plus change however I load light and the actual trailer weight on my rig is a few hundred pounds less. My receiver is rated 1000/10000. One would assume that going to a 12K over a 10K would just beef it up; however, would it also not add undue stress with the weight distribution? I've checked the three big RV places in my local area and the EQ 10K is averaging 750. Any recommended online sources with fairly fast shipping? I'm hitting the road on a 1000 mile run to Idaho then Montana in two weeks time. Much appreciated
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

EQ 4point 10000/1000 from rv wholesalers was 440 free shipping and got in next day in Texas. Used it once so far and vast improvement from the E2 hitch it replaced.
Homey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

RV Wholesalers my friend. Free shipping. Adventure RV can be competitive, too.

Good choice with the Equal-I-zer. You might want to call Progress Mfg to discuss the bars. 1,000lbs should be fine but the 1,200lb bars will work. Progress manufactures the bars to work in a range up to their stated weights.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

I purchased a Husky Centerline two years ago. One piston failed while we were traveling. I called the dealer who I had purchased it from and within 30 minutes I got a call from an engineer with Husky. He told me that they discovered they had gotten some steel from a vendor that did not meet hardness specs. They flew a new hitch head to Savannah, GA., had some one bring in to the campground and install it. I have had no problems since and the hitch works great. I previously had an Eaz-Lift hitch with one sway control and the Husky is much better. The only drawback is that the truck and trailer need to be pretty much straight when hitching and unhitching. The one time this was not possible, I just moved the truck and trailer until I was able to put the spring bars in position. I am able to back through tight turns without removing anything as with the Eaz-Lift. I would definitely purchase another Husky if I needed a hitch.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I got my 12K from RVWholesalers.
They had the best price and free shipping when I bought it.

I got the hitch rated not for my current camper, but the biggest one I could tow. That hitch will not only outlast your camper; it will outlast your truck.

Go big; or go home. IMHO
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #10

I have the Husky Centreline (new this year) and since its the only WD hitch I have owned I can't compare, however it seems to work well I have only driven it a total of about 10 or 20 miles back and forth from the dealer and storage and my driveway.

I'll post a better review once I have driven with it a few more longer trips coming up in May and June.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #11

I purchased the Husky Centreline WDH with our new Cherokee 30U+. I have limited experience with this hitch. 3 trips so far. I am very impressed with the Centreline so far. There is now sway at highway speeds 60 - 65 mph and don't notice any sway when meeting/following a tracter trailer on the highway. Really happy with my decision to give the Centreline a try.
LeonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #12

I ordered the EQ yesterday from RVW and it should be in withing a few days. Thanks to all for the info. I did note in my research that the brackets should be set at 32 inches from the center of the tongue ball and took a tape measure out this morning (probably should have done that earlier). It may prove to be an interesting install as 32 inches puts those brackets in line with the LP tanks. I'm figuring there is some minimum/maximum variances in the instructions that may mitigate that potential issue. Again, thanks all and I'll follow-up in a few weeks after I get a few miles on.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
I ordered the EQ yesterday from RVW and it should be in withing a few days. Thanks to all for the info. I did note in my research that the brackets should be set at 32 inches from the center of the tongue ball and took a tape measure out this morning (probably should have done that earlier). It may prove to be an interesting install as 32 inches puts those brackets in line with the LP tanks. I'm figuring there is some minimum/maximum variances in the instructions that may mitigate that potential issue. Again, thanks all and I'll follow-up in a few weeks after I get a few miles on.
32" is what Progress wants to see but you can move as close as 27" if needed. You might call the guys at Progress to discuss this with them. I found their engineers to be exceptionally helpful. They might even have experience with setting it up on your brand of trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	12694  

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Here are the install manuals. If the plastic anti "grind" brackets are not included with the new hitches, I would buy them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equalizer Owners Manual 12000.pdf (1.96 MB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf Equilizer Hitch Parts Breakdown_6to14k.pdf (372.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Equilizer old bracket installation_faqs.pdf (638.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf swaybracketjacket.pdf (299.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #15

Thanks Scott and Lou. Do the "anti grind" brackets diminish any of the sway control aspects of the hitch?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

I purchased the EQ as well and have bought the anti grind brackets as well. Have not used it yet, I pick up TT in two weeks, but what I have read and what those that use the brackets have said is, "no change was really noticed other than the sound of grinding. A possible slight loss of the sway feature but not enough to really tell a difference."

So that is what I have heard. Any other thoughts out there on the brackets???
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

If I was still towing the TT, I would be wearing a pair of those sporty jackets on my brackets!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I bought the jackets over the winter and plan to install them this week so no experience. I had spoke with a guy at Progress last year and he confirmed there is a slight loss in sway control and the reduced control is somewhat dependent on your setup. He didn't think I would notice much, if anything, when we discussed my numbers.

The funny thing is the noise doesn't even really bother me that much (its just telling me its working), but I want to try them out anyway. I'm a gadget geek .

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7431 View Post
Triguy,

You said "The hitch can be noisy in low speed turns but this can be fixed". How you do that fix?
Noisy can sometimes be an understatement Other campers understand but parking lots and gas stations are interesting. I've learned to ignore the stares.

Its taken care of with the Sway Bracket Jacket

These fit on the L-brackets and were designed by Progress to quiet the ride.

2012 Shamrock 233S