Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

I-70 west

Never been over the divide west of Denver. What am I in for with my 5th wheel?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Right now there is a storm and last I heard chain law was in affect. Jack knifed semi at us-6 and I-70 westbound and a wreck westbound I-70 just east of Vail.

I would wait until tomorrow or Sunday before heading that way. Those are supposed to be the best travel days for the next week. A new storm is on the way early next week.

Use cotrip.org for traffic info in Colorado. Be careful!

BTW I would not be trying I-70 westbound any time soon with my 5er.

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

Seems I need to revise my request. I'll be going over the divide next summer. I was looking for general advise on mountain towing.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

It's not as bad as you might think! I usually just get inline with a semi and cruise. Most cars are good about letting you pass the slower traffic in the left lane. Depending on where your coming from theres a gas station across from Camping World off of colfax west of i70 thats rv friendly. further up your Good gas stops are in Evergreen and your first exit to Idaho Springs, Keystone is not bad either. FYI if you need diesel make your first right into the ConocoPhillips to the first pump. If not you have to go around to the main shopping entrance that is not as Rv friendly, if I remember correctly. I would stay away from anything in Glennwood Springs all together unless you plan to stop at the hot springs.
Safe travels and if ya get in a bind or need help, I can go as far as Evergreen to help out (tools, tow, minor repairs)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlbf3320 View Post
Seems I need to revise my request. I'll be going over the divide next summer. I was looking for general advise on mountain towing.
Sorry, thought you were maybe going through right away.

Summertime is just fine. Plan extra time just in case but otherwise it is just fine.

Going down is the hardest part. start at the top slow so you don't have to use lots of brake and use your tow/haul mode to keep a low gear and everything will be golden!

If you are in a diesel truck I normally get fuel before leaving, there is a TA (Truck stops of America) on I-70 on the west side of Denver before heading up the hill. There is a truck stop at Dumont just past Idaho springs and then when I am going all the way through Colorado I stop at De Beque CO at a Cum-and-Go as the prices are very low compared to everyone else around the area including Grand Junction.

As was said above avoid Glenwood springs with a trailer at all costs.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Welcome to Colorado!
You will see a lot of Long 6% grade. Both up and down.
You will see a lot of RVs and trailer doing the pull and very few have problems.
As other have said be careful going down. They go down for a long time, so brake do not have time to cool down. Again people do not have problems just something to keep in the back of your mind.
Going slow in Colorado is not a problem.
Something I do is take the cut off from I-70 (West Denver) to Golden and then take Hy 6 ( it is a wide good 2 lane road.) back to I-70. It meets up just East of Idaho Springs. ( I-70 does more up and down). Hy 6 is a nice easy pull ( miss the first big long pull out of Denver.) and the canyon is nice to look at.

1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote