Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
endeavor to persevere

This is what Equalizer says about grease...

Thanks for contacting Progress, Mfg regarding the Equal-i-zer Hitch.

Your Question:

Step 9 says to lubricate the friction surfaces. I know you sell lubrication, but what other lubrication, grease can be used.

Our Answer:

Thanks for asking. We're not picky about what sort of lubricant you use on the sockets, aside one thing. The lubricant you use needs to be rated for use on axles or bearings. As long as it's Axle or Bearing grease quality, it'll work just fine for the sockets.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Thanks,

Daniel Hicken
Customer Service Lead
Progress, Mfg Inc.
1-800-478-5578

Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #12

For you guys with the Equalizers: Will those bars eventually loosen up? As I mentioned in my earlier post, it takes two of us to rotate them away from the hitch - and back again, even though I have greased it. We've been on 10 or 12 short trips with it, totaling about 1,700 miles, and it's still a real chore for two of us. We're not likely to get any stronger, and I'm hoping more usage will help it loosen up. Is that what you guys have experienced? Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
For you guys with the Equalizers: Will those bars eventually loosen up? As I mentioned in my earlier post, it takes two of us to rotate them away from the hitch - and back again, even though I have greased it. We've been on 10 or 12 short trips with it, totaling about 1,700 miles, and it's still a real chore for two of us. We're not likely to get any stronger, and I'm hoping more usage will help it loosen up. Is that what you guys have experienced? Thanks.
I carried a torque wrench with me because every hookup those bolts needed to be torqued to the proper number. Since I needed to tighten them anyway I just loosened them and swung them parallel to the truck bumper to get them out of the way for parking. In fact I cinched them snug and just kept them there for storage until we were ready to leave again. Out of the way and out of the grass.

You DO NOT want them to loosen up! That is 50% of your sway control (the bar brackets are the other 50%).
They must be tightened before every departure.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #14

Good News to Share re: my LOUD hitch is not loud anymore. I bought a pair of "bracket jackets" ($30+ dollars for 2 pieces of heavy plastic and shipping - that's a BIG rip off!, but). By adding the jackets and a dab of lithium grease I have NO more squeaking and squawking and I notice no additional sway. Thanks guys for your suggestions. I love this forum.
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
Good News to Share re: my LOUD hitch is not loud anymore. I bought a pair of "bracket jackets" ($30+ dollars for 2 pieces of heavy plastic and shipping - that's a BIG rip off!, but). By adding the jackets and a dab of lithium grease I have NO more squeaking and squawking and I notice no additional sway. Thanks guys for your suggestions. I love this forum.

I was on their web site and took a look at those "Jackets"

I think a 1/2 inch thick nylon cutting board; a band saw; some measurments of the bracket; and 30 minutes you could make one just as good.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #16

Quote:
You know, I remember the hitch being much louder last year when I had it first installed. Then it didn't sound so bad for awhile. Last month I added a few spacers to raise up my TV rear and then the moaning came back. So, I suppose I'm back in the beak in period again - but I'm still ordering those jackets. Thanks!
I think this would change your setup. I would go through the complete setup again for the hitch to make sure the setup is still correct.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
They're not JUST heavy plastic.

I did some testing on the Sway Bracket Jackets for Progress Mfg.(Equal-i-zer) prior to public release. They were testing a few different types of material to see just which type would hold up better. I installed a pair of two types, kept records and reported back to Progress Mfg. After a year of testing, I returned the jackets to the company for analysis. Later, I was sent a new pair to install on my brackets. With the cost of testing and production, I believe $30 is a seasonable price to pay.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #18

Well if someone told me they'd fix my squeaking and stop annoying my friendly campers for $30 - I'd take it. So, I guess all is good!
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #19

We use a Blue Ox Sway Pro and I absolutely love it. No noise, no pins, very clean and you can back up your trailer without removing the bars.
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000
Virginia Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #20

I have got some "looks" as I've pulled into a campground. I just smile and wave.

I found a pair of jackets here for $18.99 plus shipping:

Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote