Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

i got one LOUD Equilizer Hitch!

Does anyone else have one of these that announces your arrival into the campground about 1 mile before you arrive?! I read somewhere that I should not grease it which apparently reduces the "friction concept" but come on, this thing really creaks and groans. Does anyone have one of these and remedied the situation or would like to just offer your 2 cents?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #2

Is it the Equal-i-zer brand made by Progress Mfg ?

If so, you can install the Sway Bracket Jacket . It's designed to quiet the ride and reduce wear on the L-brackets.

If it's any other type of weight distribution hitch, it's not an Equal-i-zer.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

yes it's the Equil-i-zer. I'll check out the sway bracket jacket.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

While I am a 5th wheel guy now, I used an Equilizer for 2 years on a rental.

Make sure you lube the arms as required by the manufacturer with lithium grease!

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/newsto...products_id=52

Yes I know its messy, but without the lub you will have excessive wear on the bars and brackets. Mine were never noisy. If they are there is something wrong.

I have to add I was towing an ultralite 6000 pounder with a 12,000 pound rated Equilizer. I bought the maximum rated size I could tow since I did not know if I was going to go with a fiver or a travel trailer if DW and I enjoyed the rental. The Ultralite never did make noise unless it was a hard turn in the campground. I also used the "crank it up and let it down" method of hooking up my bars.

Lou and Laura with Bella the German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - 5th Wheel Pullrite Superglide 3300
(2009: 28) (2010: 74) (2011: 93) (2012: 31) (2013: 101) (2014: ??)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Salem 26TBSS

I just use lithium grease on the L-Brackets from Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace Hardware. Never had a problem with sway yet, but the grinding noise was beginning to get to be a bit much. If it's not creakin'-and-groanin', then you don't have enough weight distribution to the front axle. Kinda like the old Merlin Engines on the DC-4/North Star airplanes, if it isn't noisy with flames shooting out the exhaust, please let a fight attendant know, as something isn't working right.....

Mike Doerner
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #6

Make sure to lube the socket joint of the bars (pivot point where the bars pin into the hitch...not the bars or the socket themselves...just where the pivot point attaches to the head)...that helps tons! I also purchased the jacket brackets and that helped too. They also reduce the wear on the bars and L Brackets that others have mentioned, yet doesn't seem to decrease my sway control as grease might. I use the factory lube others provided a link to as well...takes just a touch of the stuff. I too thought it was loud when I first went out with it, but since I added the jackets and lubed the sockets things are almost silent.

Jeff

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #7

My Equalizer groans and moans, but I am told that's normal. I use lithium grease on the pivot points at the hitch end of the bars because it is so tight that it takes both me and my wife to move them in and out of position. The instructions with mine said not to put any grease on the L-brackets because it would compromise sway control. I'm not worried about the noise...it's the tightness that is a problem for us, but we really like the Equalizer, especially since we added a power jack. If it would only loosen up a little. The grease helps slightly.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

this is very good advice everyone. i plan to order the jackets and try a dab of grease, too.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My Equalizer groans and moans, but I am told that's normal. I use lithium grease on the pivot points at the hitch end of the bars because it is so tight that it takes both me and my wife to move them in and out of position. The instructions with mine said not to put any grease on the L-brackets because it would compromise sway control. I'm not worried about the noise...it's the tightness that is a problem for us, but we really like the Equalizer, especially since we added a power jack. If it would only loosen up a little. The grease helps slightly.
Equal-i-zerŪ Hitch - Support - Installation Instructions & Parts Breakdown

Check page 26

When I was using the hitch the jackets were not available. If I ever use my hitch again I will definately get a set of those.

Lubing the L brackets WILL decrease the sway effectiveness slightly, but I was way overkill on the rating and never missed it. Again my hitch was pretty quiet.

From page 26
"Noise:
In some cases the friction on the L-brackets or sockets also generates
noise. This most commonly occurs during slow, tight turns where the tow
vehicle and trailer are in a twist. This noise is normal and should be expected.
It is an indication that there is friction on the L-bracket and sockets.
Most of the noise will usually subside after a few uses as the hitch breaks in.
Trailer and tow vehicle loading may also influence hitch noise.
Lubricating the socket joint may help reduce this noise, and is part of the required regular maintenance routine. Lubricating the L-bracket joint is optional. A better solution is a set of official Equal-i-zer brand Sway Bracket Jackets. They quiet the ride without the mess of using a lubricant."

Lou and Laura with Bella the German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - 5th Wheel Pullrite Superglide 3300
(2009: 28) (2010: 74) (2011: 93) (2012: 31) (2013: 101) (2014: ??)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #10

You know, I remember the hitch being much louder last year when I had it first installed. Then it didn't sound so bad for awhile. Last month I added a few spacers to raise up my TV rear and then the moaning came back. So, I suppose I'm back in the beak in period again - but I'm still ordering those jackets. Thanks!