Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Carknocker Family

I just gotta ask

I have been reading all these posts about braking issues on the new tt or 5th wheels.

I have seen many replies about how the newer TV's factory brake controllers will not lock the wheels up even when using the manual slide. New technology.

My question is. How does it know if the brakes are locked up? I mean there are no wheel speed sensors on the said TT or 5th wheel. So how does it know?

I guess I am saying that this is not a correct answer and that the problem lies somewhere between not being adjusted correctly, contamination, or mechanical malfunction.

Please enlighten me.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

I'm certainly no expert but I doubt the TV brake controller knows anything. It just sends a specific amount of electricity to the trailer brakes relevant to the settings you use. I can't speak for any other make of tow vehicle but my 2017 RAM has four different brake controller settings. Light Electric, Heavy electric (which is what I use with my 5th wheel), light hydraulic and heavy hydraulic. You can set your gain from 0-10 within each of those based on your needs. I know many will increase the gain until the brakes lock up on the trailer when applied manually and then back off one. I just set mine so when I apply my TV brakes, I don't feel like I'm being pushed or pulled. I want it to feel as natural as it can. Like I have nothing hooked up at all.
RobH063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

Agree with the above. I doubt it's the internal controller. Same truck, but I went from OEM brakes to Disc brakes, and it will stop it.........very different.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Carknocker Family

Mine is the same, when I pull our 11k pound tt , I don't notice any difference on stopping distance, snatching me or general oh @@@@ moments when pulling.

I have just noticed times when someone is asking questions about braking issues that the answer of "newer TV's won't lock them up" has been posted more than once.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Being as though the auto industry developed...."Anti-Lock" braking systems for a reason....you can stop better and more controlled if your tires are not skidding on the pavement, it's only logical that you don't want your TT skidding around behind you when you hit the brakes hard. With my aftermarket controller I could lock them and adjust to just below that. Now with the integrated controller on my last two TV's, I found it impossible to lock the brakes on our older Jayco and now our newer Cherokee. It took a little getting use to, but now I've learned to set them so I get a nice even braking between the TV and TT.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Even though I can’t answer your question I do have an intergrated brake control on my 2017 Silverado and it won’t lock up the brakes on my 2017 Coachmen TT. Also had a 2015 Silverado and 2014 Rockwood TT and it wouldn’t lock up either.. the manual for the truck says there intergrated.
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

From what I've read, the integrated brake controller won't lock up the trailer wheels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Site Team

My integrated brake controller has never locked up the brakes automatically, but it will certainly lock them up with the manual lever if I set the gain high enough.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My 2014 Silverado won’t lock the brakes up on my 2014 sabre fiver. But it will adjust high enough using the manual slide to have the trailer pull the truck to a stop if needed. I have it adjusted to a nice even stop as well. Ours is the integrated brake controller. I actually had the dealership check it out when we first bought it and was told this is normal.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

The weight of the trailer makes a significant difference in being able to lock up the brakes. I will use a cargo trailer for explanation purposes. We have an OEM integrated brake controller. The cargo trailer has a capacity of 7,500 lbs. When the trailer is empty, the brakes will lock up at a gain of 1. When fully loaded, a gain setting of 10 will not lock up the brakes, nor will manually applying the trailer brakes.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

As has been mentioned already...

You don't want to lock up your trailer brakes!

If they are locked up...they aren't stopping you!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The weight of the trailer makes a significant difference in being able to lock up the brakes. I will use a cargo trailer for explanation purposes. We have an OEM integrated brake controller. The cargo trailer has a capacity of 7,500 lbs. When the trailer is empty, the brakes will lock up at a gain of 1. When fully loaded, a gain setting of 10 will not lock up the brakes, nor will manually applying the trailer brakes.
Put me in this corner of reason! Youroo!!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

Aftermarket brake controllers also use inertia input when brakes are applied where as integrated controllers get input from modules on speed and braking force applied for a more precise (loosely using term) braking action on the trailer.
When I used Tekonsha Prodigy III controller manually sliding slowly but fully was different than fast and fully.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I have been reading all these posts about braking issues on the new tt or 5th wheels.

I have seen many replies about how the newer TV's factory brake controllers will not lock the wheels up even when using the manual slide. New technology.

My question is. How does it know if the brakes are locked up? I mean there are no wheel speed sensors on the said TT or 5th wheel. So how does it know?

I guess I am saying that this is not a correct answer and that the problem lies somewhere between not being adjusted correctly, contamination, or mechanical malfunction.

Please enlighten me.

Only had to do it once - panic stop when a car entered road in my path- factory controller (2011 Ford) locked them up good- heard the tires screaming louder than the wife. Won't say which quit first.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #15

I don't have an integrated controller, but a smart controller. It ties into the "Truck network" via ODBII port, and reads the information regarding braking, power, etc. If it fails (not plugged into the port), it defaults to inertia. It hasn't locked the brakes when I've been stopping, but if I push the manual lever, it does stop the truck.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Being as though the auto industry developed...."Anti-Lock" braking systems for a reason...
Small nit: anti-lock brakes were initially developed for the aircraft industry.
ttocsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #17

My old prodigy p3 would never skid the tires under any condition. In fact I was never noticed much difference no matter where the voltage was set. I always seemed to get erratic braking when I least wanted it. One of my p3 buttons starting sticking so I decided to upgrade to a better controller.

I ended up learning that most electronic brake controllers use pendulums which swing back and forth to sense braking needs. Then I found the TruControl which uses a gyro to sense braking needs. It is the simplest to use brake controller ever and is almost fully automatic. It’s never locked up the tires on its own and always seems to be perfect. I like it because it applies the trailer brakes a tiny bit stronger at first and makes braking feel great. When I test it during braking by pressing the manual slide it will lock the wheels up. But only when you do both at the same time.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote