Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
Paint it red and put a Razorback decal on it, and you could sell 10,000 of those down here! LOL

Very cool.

"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
You better get a patent on that before someone steals your idea!!!

AJAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #13

I'd been wondering when someone would come up with an idea. Read the same thread you did. Awesome job!
I've been leaving my 209lb (shipping weight) companion hanging on pin, but now I'm scratching my head. Maybe a cart to set it on!
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #14
Go Saints & Tigers!!!

Be different decals on mine!!!
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
I've seen some really cool stuff here but I think that may be one of the best. Well done sir!!!
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
For those who are not so handy;
If you build the frame to hold the hitch, you can mount it on a motorcycle lift to raise/lower it and roll it around. I use my motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight as an all purpose platform lift (and it is strong enough to lift my Goldwing).
Catalina 333RETS
Rush 19 Toyhauler
Silverado 2500HD
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #17
darn nice job wow you have a good working skill with the saw me I have DW (dam woman) that puts mine onI just back up to it she puts it on
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #18
Hey thanks for all the nice comments!

Funny, my wife wanted me to patent it also. Too much work (and money)! Maybe Progressive will contact me for permission to use

Someone wanted dimensions and build instructions so I've attached a couple of screen shots of the main box that I initially designed in SketchUp. That's really the only part I laid out. The rest of it - the platform and the bar holders - I kind of just did on the fly. A lot of the dimensions were based on wood that I already had so you can certainly make it differently. Plus, I'm not sure if differently rated hitches differ in certain dimensions so that may factor into it as well. Finally, the height of your receiver will dictate other dimensions. Bottom line: I don't promise any of these dimensions will work for you.

The bar "boxes" are 18" long and made up of four pieces at 2 3/8" x 3/4". I think you can probably see how they are assembled but they are in an offset pattern so that it comes out square. I don't really know if there are different size bars so double check that works for you if you are building this. I used pocket holes on each side to attach to the dolly. That might end up being a weak link. That's quite a lever arm on those four screws. I didn't want to glue it down though because I wouldn't have access to the caster nuts if I did.

The four little arms that hold the box to the platform are about 5 1/2" with holes at 4 1/2" on center. Those can be different lengths depending on how much lift you want/need.

The cutouts on the right (as you look down on it) side were done after I had built it all up. I went to test it and realized that after I got the hitch in the receiver and dropped the box down, I couldn't get the dolly out due to the vertical shank sticking down. It took me a few cuts to create an opening to accommodate all the bars and flanges.

It's basically all 3/4" plywood except for the dolly arms for the casters which are just 2x4's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HL01.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	106325   Click image for larger version

Name:	HL02.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	106326   Click image for larger version

Name:	HL03.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	106327   Click image for larger version

Name:	HL04.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	106328   Click image for larger version

Name:	HL05.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	106329  

2015 268RKS Vibe Xtreme Lite
2012 F-150 EcoSCREW Max Tow
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #19
Equalizer hitch box

Great piece of equipment.
Attaching the box to a Harbor Freight small wooden 4 wheeled dolly may save making an undercarriage section.
Retired Intentional Interim Minister
Member of the BMW MOA
Saginaw Valley BMW Riders
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #20
Great idea! nice job!

2013 Rockwood 2504
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

equalizer, hitch