Old 06-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #11

You first need to understand if your 5ver is one of the new noses and will clear the cab in a tight radius turn. If not, then you will need a slider. I have a pull right and I went that route b/c it slides as you turn. No need to get out and un-latch so it will slide and then latch back. I am glad I went the extra dollars as I have been in some tight turns just driving to my destination. I would also go with an 18000lb.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
You first need to understand if your 5ver is one of the new noses and will clear the cab in a tight radius turn. If not, then you will need a slider. I have a pull right and I went that route b/c it slides as you turn. No need to get out and un-latch so it will slide and then latch back. I am glad I went the extra dollars as I have been in some tight turns just driving to my destination. I would also go with an 18000lb.
Good to know! Thank you! The new 5ver is a 2016 model Puma Unleashed 351THSS.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

Of the two you linked I'd pick the Curt because of the way the jaws lock.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #14

The Op is going to need a slider. his RV is not a clearance nose. The pull rite has a dual jaw that wraps 360.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #15

'asquared'.... quoted "I get a lot of chucking going down the road."

'gilwilliams101'..... You may find this interesting as well.

On a trip we traveled last year we took a road that caused a lot of 'chucking'.
The wife and I looked at each other and saw the effect the 'chucking motion' had on us riding in the cab of the truck...Seeing each other 'jiggling' to the 'rhythm of the road'...we started laughing...

However, it was extremely uncomfortable it was not for too many miles.

It was enough to realize that we were going to do something about it.

This is from one of my previous posts:

"After my 1st (30 day) trip with my new TrailAir Tri-Glide I am very Happy to report it did everything and more I expected it would.
No more chucking, smooth starts and stops, harsh road dips and bumps cushioned nicely by the air-bag... (as seen in the rear view mirror).

I did a little test by placing some 'loose' items throughout the trailer, on the table, counters and in some cabinets..... normally with the stock pin box even the shortest trip would have sent these things flying.
With the TrailAir Tri-Glide "all" items I set in place for the test remained in place with little or no movement from where I put them.

The ride was much more comfortable in the truck.
The trailer and truck had to have had less stress from road impacts as well
."

Our Wildcat (GVWR 11980) is not quite as heavy as yours and I have a dual pivot 16,000 Hijacker.
My TV has an 8ft bed and the DRW seems to help stabilize the ride nicely.

BUT... we really Love the new pin box....world of difference !

Hope this helps

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #16

I have a SWB GMC 2500HD with a SuperGlide hitch. It's a mechanical autoslide hitch. Just about impossible to screw up or hit the cab. Also added a MorRyde hitch to the pin box to take out the chucking (jerking every time you hit a pavement joint). My 5r has a GVWR just over 14k. Traded a Dodge Cummins dually for the GMC Duramax. No regrets, and no problem with weight.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #17

So the moral of the story is that I must have a 'slide' hitch to be able to turn the truck 90* to the trailer and NOT have the trailer hit the cab of the truck?

The slide hitches automatically slide everything towards the tailgate when making a turn to avoid contact between the trailer and the cab of truck?
Old 06-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #18

We have the 5th Airborne pin with sidewinder hitch on a Salem Hemisphere QBUD and a Reese 16k hitch in the truck bed. No problems with this set up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #19

I have the same truck. I use a Demco HiJacker 18K automatic slider. Tweety's has them for $1139.00 with free shipping. With a 6'4" bed you should definitely use a slider
hitch.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
So the moral of the story is that I must have a 'slide' hitch to be able to turn the truck 90* to the trailer and NOT have the trailer hit the cab of the truck?
Pretty well summed up.

Quote:
The slide hitches automatically slide everything towards the tailgate when making a turn to avoid contact between the trailer and the cab of truck?
The Pull Rite does and there are others out there.