Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #21

That's correct. Some guys with beds less than 8 ft do pull without a slider, but for me, it's not worth the risk. You only have to be distracted one time to do some serious damage.
worldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #22

you are on track with slider hitch choice....only thing I would have done different is not to have chosen 3:42 gears...... minimum 3:77 or bigger [4:10] ....you'll pop out of overdrive quickly [even with towhaul on] with the 3:42.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
So the moral of the story is that I must have a 'slide' hitch to be able to turn the truck 90* to the trailer and NOT have the trailer hit the cab of the truck?

The slide hitches automatically slide everything towards the tailgate when making a turn to avoid contact between the trailer and the cab of truck?
Gil - You do need a sliding hitch BUT not all sliders are "automatic". The Pullrite is automatic, I don't know what other brands might be. The non-automatic sliders require you to stop, pull a lever on the hitch or take some other action, then get back in your truck and make your turn. After the turn you again have to leave the truck and slide the hitch back forward to the travel position. All this manual action is not for me. My advice is to get the 3500 dually - I had one and loved the stability when towing a 43' toy hauler.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #24

A pullmor auto slider will save a lot of grief with a short bed. I have done without but you must really watch the interference in tight turns. Not fun.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #25
GeezerPete

Definately a slider

I totally agree with Ford Idaho on the hitch and the preference for a slider. Case in point;
years ago, both myself and my brother in law towed our 5th wheels to a lake near home. Upon leaving, I let my Reese slider out and maneuvered out of my camp spot very comfortably. He, on the other hand, began to pull out using the exact same short wheel base Chevy truck. The only difference was that his unit was equipped with a gooseneck hitch. Bottom line, his truck sustained over $5000 damage to the passengers side cab.
Oldtimer1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #26

I use the Anderson Ultimate hitch with my 351THSS.
LOVE IT!! Also great for my Ram 2500 Short Bed.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection -Rail version - By Andersen Manufacturing | HitchSource.com
Old 07-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #27

My son just put a B&W companion hitch in his brand spanking new Dodge 3/4 ton short bed. He can make 90 degree turns with his 5er. It's 2000 miles away from here but I think his 2013 5er has the nose for the short box. This hitch he bought fits into the bed that's made for this hitch, meaning, the holes are already in the bed. I don't know if a B&W sliding hitch would fit the bed with the pre prepped box. I own a GMC so don't know much about the Dodges. On the other hand the OP would. Also you may want to jump to a 1 ton dually with that size toyhauler. I had a pullrite auto slider in my previous TV and loved it but now with the long box in this TV, I don't need one. I forgot to add, I can drive through a touchless car wash with my dually. I don't worry about having the tires rotated bedcause I pay for that service.....
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #28

Get the Pullmor auto. Save the grief.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #29

Red face

I just went through this same dilemma. I have a 2015 2500 RAM 4x4 Mega Cummins, I had them build it with the Factory Puck system. After many phone calls and emails to Forest River, Lippert, Dodge, and B & W we got the Companion Hitch. It dropped right in the pucks with a little adjustment, it is rated at 25000 pounds. My 5er has the Coachmen "Turn Tec Engineering" nose. I cranked it as tight as I could get it to go and still had 8 inches between the cab and trailer. I also thought I may have to get a Sidewinder but I was told that would void the warranty on the 5er. I also don't think it needs the air ride either, this truck pulls it like a dream, smooth as silk. Hope this helped you some.
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #30

So I bought a B&W RVK3600 Companion 5th wheel setup. Took me a while to get the right front corner of the base 'nudged' in the puck in the bed and about 5 minutes to bolt the uprights in and mount the head. I went ahead and set the uprights at the 4" rearward position and in the 17" position which all worked out perfectly. I am able to make a full 90* turn and still have 6" cab to trailer clearance. I really feel like with some common sense and staying alert I will not have a problem. Review on hitch performance? Quiet and smooth so far with no issues. Easy hook up and no chucking at all. I love it and it was only 910.04 shipped to my work address!!!
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #31

Quote:
So I bought a B&W RVK3600 Companion 5th wheel setup. Took me a while to get the right front corner of the base 'nudged' in the puck in the bed and about 5 minutes to bolt the uprights in and mount the head. I went ahead and set the uprights at the 4" rearward position and in the 17" position which all worked out perfectly. I am able to make a full 90* turn and still have 6" cab to trailer clearance. I really feel like with some common sense and staying alert I will not have a problem. Review on hitch performance? Quiet and smooth so far with no issues. Easy hook up and no chucking at all. I love it and it was only 910.04 shipped to my work address!!!
You'll love the companion! I agree with you about common sense and staying alert. We never had a problem with our short bed f250 and pulled several thousand miles on around 25 trips in two years. Happy Campin!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #32
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

My cousin has a smaller toy hauler. His F-250 6.2 pulls it fine. His only issue is sharp turns backing in. the rear of his cab will hit. It's doable, l little more pulling out backing in than normal, but hey.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #33

You said only 500 pounds of cargo. Are you sure? Did you weigh it?

When I had a folding TT I had 1,000 pounds of cargo, including 30 gallons of water. Now in the MH I still have a little over 1,000 pounds. Pots, pans, BBQ, tools, hoses, table clothes, clothes, boots, gas for the toys, etc. It is a big list. This stuff adds up faster than you would think.

I always leave home full of water, 30 gallons. We almost always boondock, so I take along an additional 40 gallons. I could fill up at my last gas stop before the destination, but by then it is dark and I just don't feel like it.

Coming home the fresh water tank is almost empty, but the holding tanks are not empty. The first convenient dump location is two hours away. So for at least those two hours I am carrying a bit of weight in the waste tanks.

But, having 500 pounds more than you thought is not the end of the world, unless it is in the wrong location, causing a load balance problem, but that is a different topic.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
You said only 500 pounds of cargo. Are you sure? Did you weigh it?

When I had a folding TT I had 1,000 pounds of cargo, including 30 gallons of water. Now in the MH I still have a little over 1,000 pounds. Pots, pans, BBQ, tools, hoses, table clothes, clothes, boots, gas for the toys, etc. It is a big list. This stuff adds up faster than you would think.

I always leave home full of water, 30 gallons. We almost always boondock, so I take along an additional 40 gallons. I could fill up at my last gas stop before the destination, but by then it is dark and I just don't feel like it.

Coming home the fresh water tank is almost empty, but the holding tanks are not empty. The first convenient dump location is two hours away. So for at least those two hours I am carrying a bit of weight in the waste tanks.

But, having 500 pounds more than you thought is not the end of the world, unless it is in the wrong location, causing a load balance problem, but that is a different topic.
Noooo, we have 3000 lbs cargo weight. LOL Trailer is 9500 and max gvwr is 13500 and I am at 12500. Truck is rated for 17100.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #35

reminds me........in my early years almost fresh out of flying school was hired to fly a beaver on floats ....summer 1966! when they started stuffing in items without weighing I complained...was told...we load till the floats start to sink...if you cant handle that we will find someone who will....yes sir...what was that destination again !
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #36

Quote:
So I bought a B&W RVK3600 Companion ... it was only 910.04 shipped to my work address!!!
Gil,

That's a great price. Where did you purchase your hitch?

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #37

P&E Distributors through where I work. The 910.04 is dead nut dealer cost. Typically they retail for 1295.00.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:44 PM   #38

Quote:
P&E Distributors through where I work. The 910.04 is dead nut dealer cost. Typically they retail for 1295.00.

Gil,

Thanks for the info.

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote