Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Usually Confused Member

You could probably reduce the tongue weight and combined weight by getting rid of that water. You're carrying over 300 pounds of unnecessary weight. You didn't say what type of toy hauler but getting rid of the water would take over 100 pounds off the hitch weight.

Also, just what are you hauling around in the truck (w/o the trailer hooked up) to make it so heavy? The difference between the 2011 "delivered" weight and your loaded weight is over 1,100 pounds. Yeah, I know the "delivered" weight is a fantasy number, but definitely not that big a fantasy. My 2014 model with a full tank of fuel, regular stuff in the bed toolbox, driver and passenger has a CAT weight of about 5,500 pounds. The '14 and '11 models are advertised as delivered at approximately the same empty weight. In my case the actual empty weight is less than the advertised weight.

On a related note if you haven't already done so you should consider putting AirLift 1000 bags inside your rear coil springs. They do not "officially" increase the vehicle max weight but will definitely improve the stability. Best $100 you can spend to do that.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

Hmm, I thought I set up the signature back in Jan. The toy hauler is a 2017 XLR 27QB (Boost). I was skeptical about the truck being enough as soon as the wife started trying to sell me the hauler at the show rv show, lol.

I doubt I'll move to a 5'er just knowing what we plan to use it for, that may be way over kill, but I agree with getting more truck than you anticipate needing, case in point here. lol

Mods for this truck aren't spectacular, Smittybilt tube side steps, Fuel Octane wheels with BFG AT-KO tires (20") 1.5" larger than stock, bed extender, hi-lift jack, and an aftermarket rear bumper after I was rear ended last summer. Performance wise, I have an S&B CAI and a Diablo tuner.

I put the load of water in for a worse case scenario. Normally it will be empty but the first planned outing I'll need it full.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #13

Here's a couple quick pics.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Are you sure the 6800 lb gvwr is correct?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Are you sure the 6800 lb gvwr is correct?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #16

wow, my suv durango has a gvwr of 7100 lbs and everyone decries it for low payload at 1200 lbs.

question for the people who know, should the axle ratings add up to the gvwr? (I thought it did, hence my question as I noticed that my axle ratings do add up to my gvwr, but the posted gvwr for that truck does not ??)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

P275 tire tells a lot. This truck is set as a performance truck and not a tow vehicle. It may have "max tow", but with P rated tires it's not a serious hauler. Throw on some LT tires, maybe air bags if you're dropping a bunch, and take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
P275 tire tells a lot. This truck is set as a performance truck and not a tow vehicle. It may have "max tow", but with P rated tires it's not a serious hauler. Throw on some LT tires, maybe air bags if you're dropping a bunch, and take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The P tire is OEM. OP has upgraded his.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #19

Current tires are 285/65/20 they are lt tires, in load range E.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #20

As long as you are at or under the axle rating which you are and your tire rating handles the weight, which my guess is it does, but make sure you have proper inflation, you are fine in my humble opinion.

Drive it and enjoy. Dodge has under rated it gvwr for years.

Tags
weight