Old 05-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
wow, my suv durango has a gvwr of 7100 lbs and everyone decries it for low payload at 1200 lbs.

question for the people who know, should the axle ratings add up to the gvwr? (I thought it did, hence my question as I noticed that my axle ratings do add up to my gvwr, but the posted gvwr for that truck does not ??)
This might help answer your question. I asked the same thing last year and here is 2 responses I got. I have a 2005 Ford Excursion.

My GAWR Front axle is 4700
My GAWR Rear Axle is 5250

Reply #1
The GCWR takes into consideration the weakest point in your drive train including suspension components, wheels, tires etc that came with that vehicle from the factory. Even though your GAWR may be more than the GVWR it technically does not mean you could "safely" exceed the GVWR. If your Excursion had come with a heavy duty payload option such as heavier wheels, tires, or heavy duty suspension components then your GVWR could have very well been placarded higher. This is a common practice where they will place axles on a vehicle that have a rating higher than what the vehicle's GVWR amounts to. Then, as that vehicle is built, it's GVWR gets limited to the suspension and drivetrain components that are installed on the assembly line.

And reply #2
Bilcin, my truck is the same. The sum of the GAWRs is more than the GVWR. The GVWR will be based on the weakest part - axles, wheels, tires, chassis, suspension, etc. Of course some people swear the GVWR is set by lawyers.

2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #22

Thank you. I guess if I change my tow vehicle, I will have to pay more attention to the vehicle sticker and not necessarily the brochure.

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Thank you. I guess if I change my tow vehicle, I will have to pay more attention to the vehicle sticker and not necessarily the brochure.
This site has taught me that companies will print anything to make their product look better than it actually is
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #24

Please get back to us with the GVW on the door and max payload on the door frame. The GVW minus the payload should be close to the truck weight (of course if have the hitch and equalizer bars in the truck, truck weighs more, I used a bathroom scale to weigh the hitch parts and pieces, came very close to the payload). You also have to consider what you or the dealer added. By the way Payload does not include you. GVW is defined in your owners manual (usually includes a tank of gas).
Old 05-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #25
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I read "toy hauler" and "1500" in same paragraph and the "oops" red light went solid. For now take the kids camping and leave the ATV at home ;-(
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #26

Thanks for the replys. DJ, the door sticker is on pg 2.

As for leaving the quad home.... that's why I bought this. lol, no kids, so I'm goin riding!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #27
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I read "toy hauler" and "1500" in same paragraph and the "oops" red light went solid. For now take the kids camping and leave the ATV at home ;-(
So, could you tell us the difference between pulling a toy hauler as opposed to pulling a comparable non-hauler trailer? Or, are you in the group that says no trailer should ever be pulled behind a 1500?

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #28

Somebody probably already mentioned the "pin" weight goes up with nothing in the garage. Some of the new toy haulers have a second water tank to weight/balance the "pin" load, might be a good idea to weigh "pin" with garage full and empty.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #29
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Somebody probably already mentioned the "pin" weight goes up with nothing in the garage. Some of the new toy haulers have a second water tank to weight/balance the "pin" load, might be a good idea to weigh "pin" with garage full and empty.
My hitch weight varies by 125 pounds (Sherline scale measure) loaded or unloaded. But, I can't feel any difference at all while driving.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #30
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
So, could you tell us the difference between pulling a toy hauler as opposed to pulling a comparable non-hauler trailer? Or, are you in the group that says no trailer should ever be pulled behind a 1500?
Easy answer. "Toy Hauler" means something heavy will be added to the usual culprits people, food and stuff. For toy haulers, the cargo carry is usually much grater than non-toy haulers. A 24 to 29ft TT may be just fine for 1500

Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight