Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings new York
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Just got back from 2,000 mile trip. I can't imagine pulling my huge 5'er with anything less than a dually diesel.

They all pull fine. The differences in specs are minimal. Everyone thinks theirs is the best.

I know this.......in every campground I went to, I never saw a Rice Burner!! LOL IMHO, and that's all it is, the Rams are noisy as a Pea Thrasher. Mine is quiet. Fords are nice but no one I know finds a dealer truly willing to deal like GMC dealers will. But after the purchase, they are all just fine. Get whatever you like and the one they'll deal with you on.

But get one.

Even coming down Chattanooga hill (not the Rockies, but still) the auto trans dropped me to 3rd.......and I was hitting about 3K RPM's.....but not for long. Most of the time I was in 1750 range.
The Ram is as noisy as a Pea Thrasher ? When was the last time you drove one ? I have a 2012 3500 CC Limited and you can't even hear the Cummins running when towing or just around town. Their all good diesels I wouldn't own another Ford Diesel though. Cummins is the only way to go, Chevy and Ford have V8 diesels and they still can't produce the torque that the Inline 6 Cummins can.
__________________

__________________
No more shoveling is online now  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Rvdixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
The Ram is as noisy as a Pea Thrasher ? When was the last time you drove one ? I have a 2012 3500 CC Limited and you can't even hear the Cummins running when towing or just around town. Their all good diesels I wouldn't own another Ford Diesel though. Cummins is the only way to go, Chevy and Ford have V8 diesels and they still can't produce the torque that the Inline 6 Cummins can.
For whatever it's worth. I just returned from a 2000 + mile trip from Central Florida to Baltimore and back, returning by way of the Outer Banks with the package you see below. The Eco Boost could not have done a better job and I averaged 12.2 mpg at 60 MPH. At one point coming down 95 I was averaging 13.3 miles per gallon for about a 200 mile stretch. And when I unhook I have a nice comfortable passenger car type vehicle to drive. They all have their ups and downs I guess.
__________________

__________________
Richard & Rosalba Charron
Zephyrhills, FL
2015 Ford F150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is online now  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
After pulling the Rockies on I 70 west yesterday I surrender. The gasser white flag is waving. Haha!
Sure I did it. Sure I kept it at 45 to 55 but it was taxing on the gasser. 5000-5500 rpms the whole way. Just not really a confortable tow on those kind of grades for extended periods of time. Lost momentum once when I got trapped behind a slow moving big rig. That was not fun in any way.
Trading in the gasser as soon as I can and upgrading to the Diesel F350 (or maybe even a Ram 3500 or GMC Denali 3500).

Diesel contingent here I come!

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
You will NEVER regret it. The diesels pull like a locomotive. That's what they were designed to do, pull heavy loads. Personally, I'll never go back to a gas truck. I'm partial to the Cummins engine on the RAM 2500 and 3500 but everyone has their favorites. The newer RAMs (and all the newer diesels) are extremely quiet and totally competent. Post us again when you've made your purchase. Keep in mind that there are ways to keep the price to a minimum. As for us...we bought ours in March of this year. We found a left over new 2015 EcoDiesel which was priced $10,000 off MSRP. We began negotiating from there. We ended up buying it for $27,200, a full $12,000 below original MSRP. Since we keep our vehicles forever it didn't matter to us that it was a 2015 instead of a 2016. For us the price was more important.

Now...instead of getting 8 mpg with the gas truck we get 16 mpg while towing with the diesel and the pull is so much easier than it used to be.
__________________
OldBob

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Coolharts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Siler City,NC
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
I have absolutely nothing against gassers. I really miss my 5.3 Silverado, it was a beautiful, great riding truck. It was that I couldn't stand the high rpms and it seemingly struggling all the time. I know that's normal, but it was a normal I didn't like. Towing mileage was 6 - 8 with the gasser. I'm getting 12 with the diesel.

I bought an '05 F250 6.0. Now, you have to really be careful about those. If I had my time over I think I would have gone with Chevy or GMC duramax. I have had a fair amount of trouble with my 6.0, but all that appears to be solved now and I know a LOT more about them. If you're interested I can send you some links about them. I put a few rebuilt injectors, a new oil cooler, new stand pipes and a bulletproof EGR cooler on mine, so far.

The difference in towing is amazing, no straining at all, no more white knuckles.

Good luck with whatever you get!
If you get to know your truck and learn how to keep the 6.0L maintained and happy it will be trouble free. The trick is finding one that has been taken care of and not inheriting somebody else's problem.
__________________
2017 Surveyor 33RETS with Residential Refrigerator and Inverter
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L 2WD
Nights Camped 2016 27
Nights Camped 2017 29
Coolharts is offline  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings new York
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
You will NEVER regret it. The diesels pull like a locomotive. That's what they were designed to do, pull heavy loads. Personally, I'll never go back to a gas truck. I'm partial to the Cummins engine on the RAM 2500 and 3500 but everyone has their favorites. The newer RAMs (and all the newer diesels) are extremely quiet and totally competent. Post us again when you've made your purchase. Keep in mind that there are ways to keep the price to a minimum. As for us...we bought ours in March of this year. We found a left over new 2015 EcoDiesel which was priced $10,000 off MSRP. We began negotiating from there. We ended up buying it for $27,200, a full $12,000 below original MSRP. Since we keep our vehicles forever it didn't matter to us that it was a 2015 instead of a 2016. For us the price was more important.

Now...instead of getting 8 mpg with the gas truck we get 16 mpg while towing with the diesel and the pull is so much easier than it used to be.
OldBob, my son-inlaw purchased a 1015 eco-diesel 1500 Ram to pull his 30FT TT. This past April we all headed to the Outer Banks traveling through the ADK mountains then route 81 through Pennsylvania which is anything but flat and he still averaged 16 MPG. And when he's not towing he's getting just over 28 back and forth from work which is mostly highway. The guys with their eco-boost F150's will never see that kind of MPG. I was reading here when a guy said he went from Florida to Baltimore to the outer banks and back home and was getting just over 12 and at one point just over 13 but that's all flat land driving take it up to the mountains like we did and see what he would get, maybe 7 or 8 tops. I love my 3500 CC limited diesel and would never go back to gas.
__________________
No more shoveling is online now  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ozark,Mo
Posts: 129
diesel

x2 on 2015 ford 300 6.7/
__________________
martin73 is offline  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I know this.......in every campground I went to, I never saw a Rice Burner!! LOL
There are 3/4 or 1 ton trucks that run on rice?!

Seriously, I bet you saw lots of 5ers being pulled by 1/2 tons. There are no Japanese pickups that are larger than a 1/2 ton so if you're comparing a 3/4 ton or larger to a Japanese truck, you're comparing apples to oranges. To be fair, the Tundra and Titan are very capable 1/2 tons but they're not in the league of anything larger. Given that Hyundai manufactures heavy construction equipment, I'm kinda surprised that they haven't entered the pickup truck market.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer WDH
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Berryville, Arkansas
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
OldBob, my son-inlaw purchased a 1015 eco-diesel 1500 Ram to pull his 30FT TT. This past April we all headed to the Outer Banks traveling through the ADK mountains then route 81 through Pennsylvania which is anything but flat and he still averaged 16 MPG. And when he's not towing he's getting just over 28 back and forth from work which is mostly highway. The guys with their eco-boost F150's will never see that kind of MPG. I was reading here when a guy said he went from Florida to Baltimore to the outer banks and back home and was getting just over 12 and at one point just over 13 but that's all flat land driving take it up to the mountains like we did and see what he would get, maybe 7 or 8 tops. I love my 3500 CC limited diesel and would never go back to gas.
I've heard good things about that eco-diesel. I can't believe Chevy and Ford didn't follow suit. Dodge will probably pull some sales from the other two. I know if I was looking for a 1/2 ton truck, I'd be looking at that eco-diesel for sure!
__________________


2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline  
Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
After pulling the Rockies on I 70 west yesterday I surrender. The gasser white flag is waving. Haha!
Sure I did it. Sure I kept it at 45 to 55 but it was taxing on the gasser. 5000-5500 rpms the whole way. Just not really a confortable tow on those kind of grades for extended periods of time. Lost momentum once when I got trapped behind a slow moving big rig. That was not fun in any way.
Trading in the gasser as soon as I can and upgrading to the Diesel F350 (or maybe even a Ram 3500 or GMC Denali 3500).

Diesel contingent here I come!

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
I-70 west bound from denver is the easy way steeper going east . the F250 couldn't walk the walk . since it's not just up all the time and only for short periods can't see what your issue was . my 13 yr old 2500hd 6.0 pulls it fine at 4300 rpm at 45 mph which is good enough and that's just the steep grades 90% of that stretch she cruises at 60 .getting to the top faster doesn't win any medals . and any diesel guys wanting to pull faster then the max 60mph are just causing trouble for others . the big rigs can slow you down if you get caught behind one [funny there diesel to] so looking way ahead to see whats coming up helps so you can get over before you get slowed down . now the new diesel will having you going fast up and you can feel good i guess
__________________
northstar1960 is offline  
Old 06-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
The Ram is as noisy as a Pea Thrasher ? When was the last time you drove one ? I have a 2012 3500 CC Limited and you can't even hear the Cummins running when towing or just around town. Their all good diesels I wouldn't own another Ford Diesel though. Cummins is the only way to go, Chevy and Ford have V8 diesels and they still can't produce the torque that the Inline 6 Cummins can.
The Cummins is an awesome engine to bad it's wrapped up in a dodge .
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.