Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
No need to get personal (IE be an ass)

Again, fast enough, handles good enough, or stop short enough for you doesn't mean it does any of those things as well as a 1500. You guys act like these things haven't been tested scientifically 100s of times before. What they do do is tow better. If you don't tow a lot then a 1500 is the way to go.

I also agree, time to close the thread.
Sir......with all the respect I can muster.

It seems to me, and all that follows is an OPINION, that you consider anyone disagreeing with you to be an ass. I don't understand that. If I were to read these posts objectively, there does seem to be one poster that is 'on edge' because folks have the audacity to disagree with him.

I realize some sites try to disallow debates or arguments. However, in a Free Society with free speech, such arguments are inevitable. I find them refreshing and I often learn a great deal. But this is not my site, and I will abide by their rules.

I do believe that much of your argument is incorrect and invalid. Since we can't argue, I'll leave it at that. PM or email me and I'll gladly continue the conversation. I do understand that you hold your beliefs adamantly. I do not believe being adamant is the same as being correct, however.

I don't know how many people here own both type trucks, a 1500 and a 3500. I do. If you want to discuss and speak from THAT perspective of real experience, let me know.

And thanks for allowing me to discuss this. Turns out, it's actually an important topic............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #102
Canadian Contingent

I may as well get into the fray.

Personally, I don't care what others drive! I'm the one that has to drive, maintain and pay for my truck.
I only tow my 5th wheel about 6 weeks a year so my truck is a daily driver for the remainder. I needed a 1 ton because I ran the numbers on my set up and that's what I came up with needing. I bought an SRW and not a DRW because I know I'll never go bigger than my 40' 5er and my SRW fit the specs.

I went to the Big 3 truck dealers and got a 1 ton diesel SRW for the full weekend test drive with each truck.
All 3 had things I didn't like but my Ram Laramie 3500 SRW checked the most boxes.
Ram had the best exhaust brake and fit and finish is beautiful. I wanted all the bells and whistles and got it in my Laramie (and paid for it).

Having had my new truck for 8 months now, I'm glad I picked the Ram.
Yes the ride is a bit stiff, but with the right tire pressure in the rear and air bag pressure dropped, it's a smooth ride for the most part unless the road is choppy.
Most trucks you'll feel the same chop in the ride on a bad road.
I get better fuel mileage than I did in my F150 Ecoboost. My 3500 weighs almost twice as much. Oil changes are more but 1/2 as often.
My Ram isn't a race car set up to go at max acceleration from one light to the next. I don't care if it can beat a Civic. But for power and torque, it's a beast.
Cummins has been long known for its reliability.

Everyone has an opinion, but in the end, you have to buy whats right for you.
Unless, you plan on upgrading, buy what can handle your needs and what feels right. You're the one that has to live with it and not the rest of us.
Most dealers will accommodate you if you request a truck for the weekend test drive. Put the truck through its paces and do what you'd normally do (aside from towing). Take it through some good grades and get a feel for it.

Buying a truck is like finding a good woman. You may have to go on a lot of dates (test drives) but You'll know it when you find it because it will feel right.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #103

The horse is dead...and this thread is ignored...
Old 07-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #104

Dog you are correct. I drive them all and preferred Ford. I too prefer the bells and whistles as I spend a lot of time in it. Area of the country makes a difference at trade or resale time and Ram doesn't work in that area here as well as the other 2. Actually a 3/4 does better than a 1 ton here the opposite of where my daughter lives. I still trade about every 2 years just before 100k miles.
Why the airbags? How heavy is your pin? I use about 2/3 of payload and hardly drop at all.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #105

If you snoop a little on this forum you will see a lot of overloaded rigs out there. I Don't see why they make 1/2T 2WD trucks except for fleet or DW use. Minimum 3/4T and 4WD is a must for me. I prefer a diesel, but that's me... I don't think a gas P/U can touch(at least the average) the MPG of a diesel..just my minor experience. My ole' 3/4 5.9L gets over 20 MPG average(yes, I drive like an old man). I never had a P/U to get better. If I buy another and can find/afford, I will have a 1T SRW or DRW... at 2065 payload on my truck it's sad. I either ignore the weight police or buy something small. JMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 07-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Sir......with all the respect I can muster.

It seems to me, and all that follows is an OPINION, that you consider anyone disagreeing with you to be an ass. I don't understand that. If I were to read these posts objectively, there does seem to be one poster that is 'on edge' because folks have the audacity to disagree with him.

I realize some sites try to disallow debates or arguments. However, in a Free Society with free speech, such arguments are inevitable. I find them refreshing and I often learn a great deal. But this is not my site, and I will abide by their rules.

I do believe that much of your argument is incorrect and invalid. Since we can't argue, I'll leave it at that. PM or email me and I'll gladly continue the conversation. I do understand that you hold your beliefs adamantly. I do not believe being adamant is the same as being correct, however.

I don't know how many people here own both type trucks, a 1500 and a 3500. I do. If you want to discuss and speak from THAT perspective of real experience, let me know.

And thanks for allowing me to discuss this. Turns out, it's actually an important topic............
I simply was giving my opinion as well backed up with actual facts and then start getting ad hominem comments directed at me. I have no problem with what people drive, I simple was pointing out why somebody with personal experiences on the topic might have a different view.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #107
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Dog you are correct. I drive them all and preferred Ford. I too prefer the bells and whistles as I spend a lot of time in it. Area of the country makes a difference at trade or resale time and Ram doesn't work in that area here as well as the other 2. Actually a 3/4 does better than a 1 ton here the opposite of where my daughter lives. I still trade about every 2 years just before 100k miles.
Why the airbags? How heavy is your pin? I use about 2/3 of payload and hardly drop at all.
My 5er weighs out at 15,300 lbs loaded of which I'm about 2900 lbs at the pin. My 5er is a 40' Cardinal.
My truck dropped about 1-1/2" at the rear wheel wells loaded and I noticed a slight bit of wobble on acceleration from a dead stop. I put aftermarket air bags in to re-level my truck and that's solved it.
I assume it had to do with drive shaft alignment.
If I'm staying in one spot for more than a few days, I air down the air bags cause it makes for a really stiff ride unloaded if left aired up. I carry a small compressor on board so no biggy to adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	112750  

Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #108
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Out of the three, it did come down to the Ram 3500 Laramie and the F350 Lariat.
Because of our fleet buying power, I could have got the F350 Lariat for $8000 less than my Ram! However.....
The F350 was 3" longer than my Ram and wouldn't fit in my garage!
That was the final deciding factor as nobody puts my baby out in the snow, sleet, rain or dirt! LOL

Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #109

So before the thread closes... dumb question -
When your towing, can you diesel guys fill up at the truck stops where the semis do? I heard you have to have a tax number like a trucking company to use those pumps?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #110

I give up on getting a diesel. Maybe I already posted that in this thread but too lazy to go back and look, I post on too many internet forums.

2015 silverado 1500 with 9900 miles that I've had since the end of fall 2015.

Gave 38,000. Most I can get out of it is 30,000. Even though my truck books trade in at almost 33000 there are a glut of ones just like it on the market. So I'm stuck for a while. I should have realized I needed a bigger truck before I bought it. Always needing bigger and better.

I'm going to gut it out and pull my 8000 pound windjammer to Florida with it, maybe 1100 miles. Then I shouldn't have any more heavy towing so I'll get by. It pulls my 5700 pound dry sunset trail great.

One thing I am going to do though is buy and install regular tow mirrors. Like these:
Power, heated, manual telescoping and folding, will hook right up to my existing harnesses, and only around $225.

I had a set of strap on mirrors for my Colorado. Bought a pair of slide on cipa extended mirrors for this silverado. I don't like either very well anymore. I need to be able to see better.

I'll wrap my stock mirrors up and probably re-install them if I ever get around to trading trucks again.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #111

Also, unless me and wife go full time I'm not sure I need more than a 1/2 ton to do what we do most of the time.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops View Post
When your towing, can you diesel guys fill up at the truck stops where the semis do? I heard you have to have a tax number like a trucking company to use those pumps?
no, we can use them. And that's makes one more BIG advantage to having diesel. Ease of getting fuel. Lots better than squeezing in the lanes made for cars.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #113

I'm not sure why the rush to close this thread by some people.

Another one like it will just start up.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #114
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Ive never had an issue fueling anywhere. I'm almost as long as a semi so usually not an issue. I can't use most standard island fuel pumps. At 55'....I don't fit very well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	112754  

Old 07-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post

probably because they are over loaded and don't want to be called out on it by the weight police
Old 07-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
no, we can use them. And that's makes one more BIG advantage to having diesel. Ease of getting fuel. Lots better than squeezing in the lanes made for cars.
Thank you! To me this is reason enough to go diesel. After having to find an exit that has a station you can fit in then struggle to fill but not block the other lanes, wait for the little fiat that blocked you in while they were getting their 88oz slushy, etc. Just go to the truck stops & pull thru - Yep Im ready! I don't care how much the oil costs LOL
Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #117

Quote:
Out west I can use most truck stop semi lanes. I can use all the Pilot and Flying J semi lanes and most also have RV lanes. There are a few truck stops that require a commercial credit card/control number for the pumps but if I go inside they fix me right up.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #118

Thanks Dog ~~ I'm only pulling about 12,000, about 2200 at the pin with my 35' 5er. Have had no problems so far, not even when towing with a F250. Just picked up a new F350 and have not pulled it yet. The new truck sits about 4" higher at the hitch so curious to see in a week or so just how it tows.
Also understand about leaving the truck outside as I do that. The Lincoln and the Excursion belong to my wife and daughter and there is no question who gets into a hot vehicle ~~ no ice or snow here. I just hit the remote start and let the AC cool her down before I leave.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post

I agree! The thinned skinned offended people should just go away and not read it anymore. Why do the majority have to suffer because a few get their feelings hurt?

The person who opened this thread wanted some info to help him make a decision and hopefully he has found it. Many others will come across it and will want to educate themselves but since it will be "closed" (slow whiny voice when saying it) they will have to open a new one where someone else will get their feelings hurt too and it will have to be closed.

A never ending cycle of crying!

Surely the moderators will chastise me for my comment and cower to those poor unfortunates by closing the thread. Live and let live I say. If I don't like someones opinion I just ignore it.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #120

KingFisher ~ I pulled a 7000# TT with a F150 EB without a problem. I'd not have thought twice about an extra 1000# either as it did a great job. Watch the engine and trans temps on the long trip.
Good idea on the mirrors. It will make every trip more relaxing and safer.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel