Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Ideas for bike rack placement

I keep going over in my head ways to keep my bikes safe while towing and I am looking for advice. Previously I had a hitch on the back of my trailer but being 35' long you would be amazed at how much the bikes bounce back there. Currently I have them on the front of my f350 which isn't too bad except in the dark as they block "some" of my headlights. I don't want to put them in my bed as my trailer does not have much storage so the bed of my truck is already filled when we go on long trips. I was thinking about building my own headache rack that the side rails run the length of my bed and weld a 2 inch receiver tube about 3" above the bed cover and put my rack in there. I don't think height will be an issue, I will still be lower than a 5th wheel. Does anyone have any insight before I buy a couple hundred dollars worth of steel and spend a weekend welding. Are there any other ideas I can try before I go this route?

The truck is a 2018 F350 CCSB and the trailer is a 2018 flagstaff 30wtbsv, if anyone has any good Ideas let me know.
__________________

Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,738
There are a number of 5th wheel pinbox bike mounts.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
It's not a 5th wheel I was just saying the height would be no more than a 5th wheel. My trailer is a v nose bumper pull so I can't even put the rack above the propane tanks.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 20
I cobbled something together that sounds like a variation of what you're thinking. It's a traditional roof rack style setup attached across the bed using 'artificial rain gutters.' Thought I had a better picture but you can make out the rails over the truck bed.

I leave the gutters on all the time and mount up the crossbars and bike retainers when we travel.

Works well, but does have its drawbacks. I can't get the tri-fold cover open with everything mounted and, obviously, can't pack the bed higher than the closed cover. However, with some pre-planning and some rolling totes in the bed, it all works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-09 08.21.09.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	592.9 KB
ID:	206672  
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 201RBS
2011 GMC Sierra 1500
*****
2019 nights camped - 19
2018 nights camped - 8
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie37 View Post
I cobbled something together that sounds like a variation of what you're thinking. It's a traditional roof rack style setup attached across the bed using 'artificial rain gutters.' Thought I had a better picture but you can make out the rails over the truck bed.

I leave the gutters on all the time and mount up the crossbars and bike retainers when we travel.

Works well, but does have its drawbacks. I can't get the tri-fold cover open with everything mounted and, obviously, can't pack the bed higher than the closed cover. However, with some pre-planning and some rolling totes in the bed, it all works out.
I was thinking about this, but my logic is we are going up to Maine for a week and a half mostly to ride bikes. I really don't know if I feel like climbing up and down so many times a day just to put the bikes on and off the rack. The way I am thinking I would just un-mount the hitch rack once the trailer is set up and put it in the normal receiver.

Just in case I do go your route though, you said it was just the vinyl gutter on the bed rails and the rack attaches to that nicely? Is it very secure?
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 20
I really wish I had a picture with the bikes mounted - the visual is so much better than my wordy descriptions. . .

The artificial gutters are sort of c-channel shaped with the open end facing outboard. You slide them on to your bed rail and there's bolts that go in from underneath to clamp it to the rail. Once attached, there's a vertical lip on the outboard edge that provides the 'gutter' for the crossbar tower to attach to.

The fore/aft bike rail is pretty standard. Front wheel goes in a hoop and there's a (locking) swinging clamping bar that attaches to the lower frame rail of the bike. Rear wheel just sits in the trough and both wheels have a velcro tie strap as well. I had to hunt around a bit to find crossbars that were long enough to go across the bed though.

No climbing up/down required (at least not for me.) I just lift and load the bikes from either side, clamp/strap them in and good to go. Very secure in transit so far.

I didn't feel like spending crazy money (relatively) so didn't spring for locking towers. But the bikes are only up there long enough to get from A to B. As soon as we arrive they come down and get locked to the trailer frame.
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 201RBS
2011 GMC Sierra 1500
*****
2019 nights camped - 19
2018 nights camped - 8
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie37 View Post
I really wish I had a picture with the bikes mounted - the visual is so much better than my wordy descriptions. . .

The artificial gutters are sort of c-channel shaped with the open end facing outboard. You slide them on to your bed rail and there's bolts that go in from underneath to clamp it to the rail. Once attached, there's a vertical lip on the outboard edge that provides the 'gutter' for the crossbar tower to attach to.

The fore/aft bike rail is pretty standard. Front wheel goes in a hoop and there's a (locking) swinging clamping bar that attaches to the lower frame rail of the bike. Rear wheel just sits in the trough and both wheels have a velcro tie strap as well. I had to hunt around a bit to find crossbars that were long enough to go across the bed though.

No climbing up/down required (at least not for me.) I just lift and load the bikes from either side, clamp/strap them in and good to go. Very secure in transit so far.

I didn't feel like spending crazy money (relatively) so didn't spring for locking towers. But the bikes are only up there long enough to get from A to B. As soon as we arrive they come down and get locked to the trailer frame.
I think I get it now, I was thinking the plastic rain gutters from home Depot.

My truck is a 2018 f350 with the heavy service suspension, so even though I'm 6' tall the top of my shoulders are about even with the top of the bed. I also have 3 full size bikes and a weehoo bike trailer so climbing would be inevitable.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,500
First, neat idea on the truck bed. I like it.

Alternatively, what about a Bike Bunk for over the tongue of the trailer?
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9
My son just bought a vertical system that mounts over the propane tanks. It accepts his standard 4-bike rack that he inserts into the truck tow connection when not pulling a trailer. They love it! I don't know the brand name but he found it on line.
Summer Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
First, neat idea on the truck bed. I like it.

Alternatively, what about a Bike Bunk for over the tongue of the trailer?


X2
__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
First, neat idea on the truck bed. I like it.

Alternatively, what about a Bike Bunk for over the tongue of the trailer?
V nose trailer, those racks don't work.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:33 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
What about inside the trailer on the bed?
__________________
2018 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab, 4WD Duramax
2019 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik
Jim in Florida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
What about inside the trailer on the bed?
Inside the trailer there are slides, not much room for anything else and my wife finds a way to fill what area is left. Inside the bed I have all my outside stuff like my stabilizer jack pads leveling blocks chairs patio rugs and my general tote of just going down the road stuff like tie downs recovery straps and jumper cables.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
WNY_Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 225
I have fork mounts mounted to the underside of the bench seats.

I remove the cushions, drop the table, and flip the seat boards and instant bike rack. Plus it keeps the bikes secure and out of the weather while traveling.

Just another option...



__________________
2017 Coachmen 17FQ Clipper
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post
I have fork mounts mounted to the underside of the bench seats.

I remove the cushions, drop the table, and flip the seat boards and instant bike rack. Plus it keeps the bikes secure and out of the weather while traveling.

Just another option...



Brilliant!
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post
I have fork mounts mounted to the underside of the bench seats.

I remove the cushions, drop the table, and flip the seat boards and instant bike rack. Plus it keeps the bikes secure and out of the weather while traveling.

Just another option...



Looks great, but our mountain bikes get a bit too dirty for the kitchen table. If they were road bikes I would think about it.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Ron045's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 402
I understand if you don't want to add 3 feet of bikes to the end of a 35 foot trailer. However if your only concern is them bouncing around and the strength of you bumper, I added Safety Struts from Mount N Lock. Further details of my install are here. Mount-n-Lock SafetyStruts
__________________
Ron & Family
Junior Season (Max time with the kids before they graduate)
2017-23 Nights, 2018-30 Nights, 2019-25 Nights
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2016 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, 4.10
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Schumaker View Post
V nose trailer, those racks don't work.
Works fine on mine.
__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Works fine on mine.
Mine has almost no useable frame in front of the nose as that is where the battery is located. Can you post a pic? I am actually very interested in this.
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #20
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 668
Ideas for bike rack placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Schumaker View Post
Mine has almost no useable frame in front of the nose as that is where the battery is located. Can you post a pic? I am actually very interested in this.
Did i misunderstand the trailer type? I do not know how to attach pics. It just asks for a url. Dunno, help?
__________________

__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bike, bike rack

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


×